• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

loarbmhs

Reaction score
Same suit and vest from yesterday. The vest is reversible. I wish the button hole thread on the vest was not so dark.

View attachment 1565812
View attachment 1565813
View attachment 1565811
View attachment 1565814

I hear you about the darkness of the thread. But it's really not so bad at all. By comparison, just take a look at the suits worn by Rep. Kevin McCarthy, the House Minority Leader. Someone must have told him that it would look classy to outline his suits' lapel button holes, and lowest sleeve cuff holes, with bright white thread. Truly cringe-worthy.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not much today, a Wine Cashmere sweater, jeans, simple socks but new shoes from Paolo Scafora.

View attachment 1567155 View attachment 1567154 View attachment 1567156 View attachment 1567159 View attachment 1567158

Fit is probably better suited for this thread:

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit is probably better suited for this thread:
Thanks, sorry I got confused with the thread!

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Hollywood today.

IMG_6140.jpeg

Brooks Brothers tweed jacket, OCBD shirt, tie, sweater vest, and pocket square, Polo Ralph Lauren grey flannel trousers, and Allen-Edmonds shoes.

For fans of "Piece-Of-A-Person" pictures, a piece of a person with a veggie (curried lentils) Shepherd's Pie at the Cat & Fiddle Pub in Hollywood CA picture.

IMG_6145.jpeg

A close up of the shoes with Tinkerbell's star on Hollywood Blvd.

IMG_6137.jpeg

For fans of totally random Hollywood pictures, one of the four giant elephants on giant pillars at the Hollywood And Highland Center. They are patterned after the Babylon set in the silent film "Intolerance".

The Hollywood And Highland Center is being redeveloped as residential and creative office space so the four giant elephants on their giants columns, the gates of Babylon, and everything else there will soon be one with Nineveh and Tyre.

IMG_6158.jpeg

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What if for some reason a coat is tagged 40R but the chest is 20.5''. You're good with that? What happens with the shoulder sizing on a 38R versus a 40R in my above scenario?
I don’t think savvy means what you think it means.

JK. The measurements I ask for are armpit to armpit, shoulder seam to shoulder seam, shoulder seam to sleeve cuff and bottom of collar to bottom of jacket. I know what can and can’t work for me and what my tailor can fix. I prefer my shoulders to be between 18” and 17.5”. That’s usually a 38, but sometimes a 40. It depends on the brand. If a 40, has the right chest but the shoulders are too wide, I’ll pass. All four measurements have to be in the sweet spot for me to bite.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think savvy means what you think it means.

JK. The measurements I ask for are armpit to armpit, shoulder seam to shoulder seam, shoulder seam to sleeve cuff and bottom of collar to bottom of jacket. I know what can and can’t work for me and what my tailor can fix. I prefer my shoulders to be between 18” and 17.5”. That’s usually a 38, but sometimes a 40. It depends on the brand. If a 40, has the right chest but the shoulders are too wide, I’ll pass. All four measurements have to be in the sweet spot for me to bite.

Alright bud, thanks I got it!

Usually a tagged 38 does the trick but you can float 38-40 because the measurements are your key. You're just drilling down because 36 is too small and 42 too big. Then you go from there.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Hollywood today.

View attachment 1567626

Brooks Brothers tweed jacket, OCBD shirt, tie, sweater vest, and pocket square, Polo Ralph Lauren grey flannel trousers, and Allen-Edmonds shoes.

For fans of "Piece-Of-A-Person" pictures, a piece of a person with a veggie (curried lentils) Shepherd's Pie at the Cat & Fiddle Pub in Hollywood CA picture.

View attachment 1567627

A close up of the shoes with Tinkerbell's star on Hollywood Blvd.

View attachment 1567628

For fans of totally random Hollywood pictures, one of the four giant elephants on giant pillars at the Hollywood And Highland Center. They are patterned after the Babylon set in the silent film "Intolerance".

The Hollywood And Highland Center is being redeveloped as residential and creative office space so the four giant elephants on their giants columns, the gates of Babylon, and everything else there will soon be one with Nineveh and Tyre.

View attachment 1567629
On the subject of closings and openings -

I thought I’d heard that the Cat and Fiddle had closed - and that was before the possible temporary or possible permanent closing of many establishments due to the plague. Been there many times so happy to learn it’s open and serving.

And I didn’t know that Hollywood and Highland was closing for refurbishment. The first time I went to LA in 1991 that area was a sad run down dump so I was happy that the building of the H and H mall brought some life to the area. In October 2006 I was there to help out when my mate’s band played a set in tribute to The Who and the following night we saw The Who at The Bowl. Good times!

1D5C2F59-1829-4D8F-84D0-762010912095.jpeg
1D5C2F59-1829-4D8F-84D0-762010912095.jpeg
P
8F1C0D0A-6544-4681-AC39-7B5DF567C03E.jpeg
8900E949-FE14-464C-B359-4D655EDC8A54.jpeg

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC today is bright and sunny, but frigidly breezy, and expected to stay that way all afternoon. I am off soon to a members' preview of the Frick Museum in its temporary home at the old Whitney Museum, now dubbed "Frick Madison". As I am visiting the art of a plutocrat, I thought that I might as well dress like one (and the layers of flannel will come in handy while outside).

Suit & overcoat - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis, via Scully & Scully, NYC
Vintage watch chain
Braces - Albert Thurston via Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson
Shoes - Harris, via Barney's NYC
Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center
Scarf - Fortnum & Mason
Face mask - New & Lingwood

IMG_5250.JPG

IMG_5244.JPG
IMG_5245.JPG
IMG_5246.JPG
IMG_5247.JPG
IMG_5248.JPG
IMG_5249.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads