• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think @Marc Voorhees posted once about his "peak WASP" tie. Here's mine:

i2pmXcT.jpg

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think @Marc Voorhees posted once about his "peak WASP" tie. Here's mine:

i2pmXcT.jpg
Damn son. I should put mine on as well. We can go to the club, sit in luxurious leather chairs, drink scotch, and discuss the good ol days of colonialism and bemoan the declining empire. I dig it ;)

monkey66

Reaction score
Cashmere and corduroy today.

Every time I put on this jacket I have the same thought, should I shorten the jacket? It is an inch or so long for me but I love it and would hate the possibility of screwing it up, thoughts please.

P1010023 copy.jpg

P1010029 copy.jpg

P1010043 copy.jpg

P1010040 copy.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep. I mostly look at 38R and 40R. Many sellers think that a 20 inch armpit to armpit measurement is a 40. Then I check the pants for waist and inseam. I always ask how much additional material there is in the cuffs and pants for lengthening purposes. It's a lot of communication if sellers don't list these details, but it helps you avoid buying stuff you can't use. Not all sellers allow returns.

Great thanks for following up. I would love to do this kind of thing. Lots of good stuff out there.

The tagged size should be the size of the wearers chest, not the chest measurements of the actual garment. So a 40 inch chest should be tagged at size 38, as suits don't fit skin tight -- there should be some room in the measurements vs. actual body measurements. For example my chest measurement is 38.2 inches, thus, I take a size 38. If the actual garment measured 19 inches (38 inches around) in the chest, the jacket would not fit (it would be skin tight).

I guess it's either too early or I am just dense. :cry:

You said a 40in chest is a size 38? So 2 inches ABOVE the size?

You take a size 38, which is actually 40in chest? So your 38.2 chest has 1 and some change inches to wiggle around?

Thanks.

I think that the wider stripe in the tie gives a certain contrast to the square in the jacket, but I agree that the proportions are close, maybe too much so.

I actually really like the pattern and ensemble. The scales are a bit different and colors as well.

Up close, it looks busier (photos do that), but your photo from a few feet back REALLY brings the outfit together. Sometimes photos just don't capture everything just right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads