• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

beneven

Reaction score
Vintage RLPL tie--one of my favorites ?

DSC_0361_styfo.jpg

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, posted to the wrong thread :)

Dang. You really have an eye for it!

Do you just drill down to your size , 42R for example, and then go through patterns and look at styles? Obviously you'll have to find a pant/jacket set that matches your waist or can be alterable. I usually have trouble with the inseam length matching up.
Yep. I mostly look at 38R and 40R. Many sellers think that a 20 inch armpit to armpit measurement is a 40. Then I check the pants for waist and inseam. I always ask how much additional material there is in the cuffs and pants for lengthening purposes. It's a lot of communication if sellers don't list these details, but it helps you avoid buying stuff you can't use. Not all sellers allow returns.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather is sunny, but quite cold today - I have yet to venture outside, but reports are such that it's freezing out. Day 2 of Shot #1 of the Moderna vaccine is about as expected - sore at the point of injection, and otherwise feeling just slightly off, an effect that I foresee dissipating by tomorrow. As in all things, we shall see . . .

Suit & face mask - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - vintage Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - The London Badge & Button Co.
Braces - Albert Thurston, via New & Lingwood
Pocket square - no name brand
Shoes - Crockett & Jones, Gower 2 model
Overcoat - Brooks Brothers
Scarf - Johnstons of Elgin
Cap - Paul Stuart

IMG_5219.JPG

IMG_5213.JPG
IMG_5214.JPG
IMG_5215.JPG
IMG_5216.JPG
IMG_5217.JPG
IMG_5218.JPG

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SartorialSpyker

Reaction score
Could you elaborate? What do you mean here?

Thanks
The tagged size should be the size of the wearers chest, not the chest measurements of the actual garment. So a 40 inch chest should be tagged at size 38, as suits don't fit skin tight -- there should be some room in the measurements vs. actual body measurements. For example my chest measurement is 38.2 inches, thus, I take a size 38. If the actual garment measured 19 inches (38 inches around) in the chest, the jacket would not fit (it would be skin tight).

gavspen

Reaction score
The tagged size should be the size of the wearers chest, not the chest measurements of the actual garment. So a 40 inch chest should be tagged at size 38, as suits don't fit skin tight -- there should be some room in the measurements vs. actual body measurements. For example my chest measurement is 38.2 inches, thus, I take a size 38. If the actual garment measured 19 inches (38 inches around) in the chest, the jacket would not fit (it would be skin tight).
Ok. I had just wondered if I was missing something. I frequently see sellers listing both the tagged size and the actual measurement, which makes sense.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@DiplomaticTies
Normally I love your fits, so let’s start there.

There are some very good aspects to this fit, but the relative similarity of scale between the check on the sport coat, and tie is a detractor here.

Thanks.

I think that the wider stripe in the tie gives a certain contrast to the square in the jacket, but I agree that the proportions are close, maybe too much so.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, it does form a very pretty knot. Just wish it wasn't so freaking long! Even with two passes the back blade is still a good 6" longer than the front.

Two words for you: The Old Bertie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads