• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@An Acute Style I like the two-button cuff on the tartan and green tweed jackets you've posted recently.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Supposedly the "correct" dinner jacket style is no vents, which is fine if your plan is to stand perfectly still all night. I think the single vent resembles the uninterrupted lines of the no vent jacket while still allowing you to sit and put your hands in your pockets. I don't think I've seen double vents on any of the vintage tuxes I've come across on ebay, so that must be more of a modern style but I like it.
Depends how vintage is considered vintage.
Connery had side vents on his dinner jacket in Dr. No but that was only 59 years ago!
I eschew vents on all my dinner jackets ... and on about 95 percent of my suit jackets and odd jackets too which I know goes against the grain of the SF consensus but think about it - most people admire the smooth unbroken unrumpled view of the rear of a dinner jacket as it sits close to the wearer from neck to hem - why would you not want that look on other suits and jackets too?
As for the pockets thing - my Mam always said it was bad manners to stand with your hands in your pockets so I try to avoid that, and it’s not like I’m in and out of my trouser pockets throughout the day anyway. If a little hitch is needed to pull out my car keys so be it, a small price to pay for the elegant view from behind.
And a note to many of the double vent wearers on this board. Take a closer view at how you look from behind. Having all those vertical rumples down by the rear hem as the rear section of your jacket is flapping about your arse like a pair of curtains on a breezy day is NOT the look you should be going for!

Last edited:

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IsaiaHober-01.jpg
IsaiaHober-03.jpg
IsaiaHober-04.jpg
IsaiaHober-05.jpg

Suit: Isaia
Shirt: Bespoke (CYC)
Tie: Sam Hober
PS: Poszetka
Shoes: Lobb

siddeh

Reaction score
I like the restraint in the rest of the fit, it lets the sport coat shine.

Naaah, all Tartan or bust (like the below).

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's Friday, and the weather remains sunny and seasonably cold, a perfect day for a double dose of tweed - sports jacket and outerwear.

Sports jacket, scarf, & face mask - New & Lingwood
Shirt, trousers, pocket square, shoes, & overcoat - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Chipp
Hat - Laird, London

IMG_5202.JPG

IMG_5196.JPG
IMG_5197.JPG
IMG_5198.JPG
IMG_5199.JPG
IMG_5200.JPG
IMG_5201.JPG

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fedora is Engel Hatters
Tie Sulka
Shirt Turnbull & Asser
Suit Couch & Hoskin LTD of London
Shoes John Lobb
View attachment 1563295 View attachment 1563296 View attachment 1563302

Easily one of the best suits in weeks. Fantastic!

A summery fit in the middle of “winter.”
View attachment 1563502

You're a brave soul to follow @Tibor, but once again the tie+handkerchief+jacket combo is impeccable. I am literally unable to pecc.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look like Baton Rougue to me...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads