• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Points of note: The collar roll on The Rake x VBC oxford BD is truly exquisite. Also, nine years on, this navy Shantung tie is still one of my favourite accessories.
22811339-C52C-46C3-A5E6-73A2102FE4DA.jpeg

5DC07DE0-C667-488A-8334-478AEAF120C1.png

13021303-38A0-46CE-B138-00D174E343C2.png

Suit: Cavour Mod 2 in navy Fox Bros Flannel
Shirt: The Rake x VBC blue oxford BD
Tie: Drakes navy with white dots Shantung silk
PS: Shibumi white linen square

monkey66

Reaction score
Weather returned to cold and windy here in the SW so an opportunity for a bit of tweed for the Friday challenge came up. The trousers are from Tweed Addict with Lovat Mill cloth. They are a small London/Bristol tailoring house who do excellent work.
P1000972 copy.jpg

P1000983 copy.jpg

P1010003 copy.jpg

P1010008 copy.jpg

P1000995 copy.jpg

Last edited:

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should I have chosen a shirt with a more muted pattern? Perhaps. Still, I like how the blue from the shirt provides a contrast to all the green around it.

View attachment 1561609

I like it. That's a classic look. I think the baby blue works well with the patterned jacket and tie. They're different scales so I think it works just fine!

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, thought I'd post here as you're all connoisseurs of good suits/coats.

I'm attending a wedding in June and the ask is black tuxes.... I don't own one and I'm thinking about finding a nice (cheap?) tux on eBay (used) and getting it altered.

I'm quite tall and wear a 40L with a 32x34 pant... Can anyone steer me in a good direction for tux brands to look at? I have some familiarity with good suits, but none with tuxes.

Not looking to break the bank, but if I can find a decent tux for cheap and spend a little coin to tailor it, I think it would be great.

Bonus: kind of thought a shawl collar would be awesome since I've always loved that style. I have no other occasions to wear a tux at the moment, but would prefer to spend the money and purchase rather than rent.

Thanks in advance!

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm attending a wedding in June and the ask is black tuxes.... I don't own one and I'm thinking about finding a nice (cheap?) tux on eBay (used) and getting it altered.

I'm quite tall and wear a 40L with a 32x34 pant... Can anyone steer me in a good direction for tux brands to look at? I have some familiarity with good suits, but none with tuxes.

Not looking to break the bank, but if I can find a decent tux for cheap and spend a little coin to tailor it, I think it would be great.

Bonus: kind of thought a shawl collar would be awesome since I've always loved that style. I have no other occasions to wear a tux at the moment, but would prefer to spend the money and purchase rather than rent.

Thanks in advance!

you might get more help in the Black Tie thread: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...ur-observations.275650/page-588#post-10610063

Not to dissuade you from hunting for a vintage tux, I always assumed tuxedos were very expensive, but they can be had for the price of a regular suit from a good place like SuitSuppy. If you wear it 2-3x it equals the cost of 2-3 rentals, with the added benefit of when you own a tux it is easier to find excuses to wear it.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Midweek, and the weather in NYC is predicted to be milder, with highs near 50F/10C, and sunny. In recognition of this fact, I've opted for lighter weight winter clothing - my suit is unlined, and today's topcoat provides only a modest amount of insulation, which I found out the hard way, in Venice, in late February 2011 (the canals provide an excellent source of cold dampness).

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Charvet, via Bergdorf Goodman
Braces - Trafalgar, via Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - Brooks Brothers
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Topcoat - Tyrwhitt
Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center, NYC
Scarf - Paul Stuart
Face mask - New & Lingwood

IMG_5182.JPG

IMG_5176.JPG
IMG_5177.JPG
IMG_5178.JPG
IMG_5179.JPG
IMG_5180.JPG
IMG_5181.JPG

Don L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance!
Try Spier Mackay. They have some Tuxes on sale at reasonable prices

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you might get more help in the Black Tie thread: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...ur-observations.275650/page-588#post-10610063

Not to dissuade you from hunting for a vintage tux, I always assumed tuxedos were very expensive, but they can be had for the price of a regular suit from a good place like SuitSuppy. If you wear it 2-3x it equals the cost of 2-3 rentals, with the added benefit of when you own a tux it is easier to find excuses to wear it.

Thanks for the link! I'll drop them a line and then also look at SuitSupply.

Just was unsure of brands or what route to take.

Try Spier Mackay. They have some Tuxes on sale at reasonable prices

Thank you. I have been eyeing their MTM shirts and suits for a while. I'll look at tuxes and go from there!

Roy Al

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well gents, present and past, here I go:
I have reached a point, after all these years posting and learning here, where I need to move on.
There have been so many well dressed, and quite a number of not so successful dressers, that have thought me so much about sartorially this and that, what and what not.
But lately I have been going in circles, and I have gotten bored, and posting here has become more OCD than splendid joy and excitement.
Therefor I have decided to take a longer break, and during that time consider to retire from waywrn
Thanks to all for the ride, it has been a true pleasure, and contrary to common belief; I have never received any hate in here.
God bless you all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads