• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-posted from the Friday Challenge, my take on "dressy tweed." I don't know if this jacket qualifies as tweed, but it's a hardy and fuzzy wool/silk/linen/cashmere blend with a donegal-ish speckle.
20210223_133929.jpg

20210223_133801.jpg

20210223_133117.jpg

Samuelsohn jacket
Benjamin Sartorial shirt
Polo tie
Kiton trousers
Wardrobe Wimbledon square

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you like the standard factory lacing method that is only there because it is the fastest way of doing it in the factory? I mean I don't know half as much as you do about shoes, but I do know that the first thing you do is to change the lacing method from the standard factory one. As it is now, it creates some uneven pressure on the shoe. Very minor but still.
Standard factory?
I’d say 99 percent of the shoes I own from boots to sneakers to dress shoes, if they came laced at all it was in a cross cross version. I can’t recall ever getting a pair of shoes out of the box with straight bar lacing.
Anyway there are only two ways to lace your shoes:
The straight bar method
Some other **** method

But y’know - whatever floats your boat. That’s what floats mine!

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Standard factory?
I’d say 99 percent of the shoes I own from boots to sneakers to dress shoes, if they came laced at all it was in a cross cross version. I can’t recall ever getting a pair of shoes out of the box with straight bar lacing.
Anyway there are only two ways to lace your shoes:
The straight bar method
Some other **** method

But y’know - whatever floats your boat. That’s what floats mine!
This is what I mean with standard lacing. I think all my new shoes have had this lacing when NIB. I think it is impractical as the pressure from the different laces will be pretty uneven. Here is a picture to demonstrate what I mean.

Lacing-shoeshop.jpg

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what I mean with standard lacing. I think all my new shoes have had this lacing when NIB. I think it is impractical as the pressure from the different laces will be pretty uneven. Here is a picture to demonstrate what I mean.

View attachment 1561211
What method would achieve the best balance? Would you happen to have a demonstrative picture as well?

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What method would achieve the best balance? Would you happen to have a demonstrative picture as well?
I forgot to add that in the previous post. Thanks for the reminder. If you only have 5 eyelets it will look slightly different but still straight lacing

nedladdning.png

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1561211
Yup. That’s how I lace all my shoes and never had a problem with pressure. YMMV.
But again I have NEVER received a pair of shoes out of the box laced like this, they’re almost always laced criss cross from outside in with laces on each side coming up from under the inside of the eyelet then crossing between the eye stays and threaded again from inside the eyelet. I realise that’s a crap description but can’t be bothered to find a pic!

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
straight bars look best in a closed lacing, i.e. when the vamps meet
not so good when they don't and there is a V gap and you see the inner workings of the lacing system as was demonstrated.
good bars, no gap

good bars no gap.jpg

imho naturally

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It works on 4/5/6 eyelets for me, I think this method holds the balance of a derby style better (personally don't see any difference on oxford tho). I have a lower instep and with the old method, sometimes one wing is higher than the other.
How do you do this with five eyelets without crossing the laces? I just tried it and stand by my previous belief that it can only be done properly with even numbers of eyelets!
It may look a bit neater than the ‘blanket stitch’ version illustrated above but it’s a pain *********** to tighten!

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you do this with five eyelets without crossing the laces? I just tried it and stand by my previous belief that it can only be done properly with even numbers of eyelets!
It may look a bit neater than the ‘blanket stitch’ version illustrated above but it’s a pain *********** to tighten!

this site lets you select type of lacing and number of eyelets and gives a step by step

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this site lets you select type of lacing and number of eyelets and gives a step by step
Ah I see now how they cheated with the doubling in the next to last set of eyelets! Like I say it looks slightly neater than the method i use, and may have the benefit of keeping the eye stays evenly lined up, but probably a bugger to tighten up!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads