• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Four patterns. How’d I do?

AD883E3C-D6EB-4D67-AEC8-B5F3CAFB4532.jpeg

169DFCA6-B317-4B1F-B9A2-7B10ED1D1B47.jpeg

997CBDB1-983D-4858-A21D-E2766F9403E2.jpeg

58C44A5B-E92A-4083-BAAE-84E5982C712D.jpeg

0D333F0A-9239-40D3-B8D5-F7AA0B7234CC.jpeg

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AAS, I believe that a solid blue shirt would have been a better choice for this attempt at four-pattern bingo, though I am in lust for that tattersall waistcoat.

When I was in elementary school, I remember the title of one of the books which were used to teach us reading - "If I Were Going". My attire for today is a variant on that - "If I Were Going Outside", as it's currently -5C, with a wind chill factor making it feel as if it were -14C. The jury is still out on whether I face the great outdoors today or not, but, if I do, it will be with style.

Suit - Brooks Brothers MTM (Southwick)
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - Penhaligon's
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Ashear (I would say "vintage", as it's about 40 years old, but, as I was the original purchaser when new, I am unsure if such a designation applies - perhaps, just "old", like its owner.)
Boots - Cheaney, via Harrods
Overcoat - Brooks Brothers
Scarf - Fortnum & Mason
Hat - Seifter Associates
Face mask - New & Lingwood

IMG_5104.JPG

IMG_5095.JPG
IMG_5099.JPG
IMG_5100.JPG
IMG_5101.JPG
IMG_5102.JPG
IMG_5103.JPG

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do the side pockets on the jacket have flaps? I.e., are they tucked in, or are the pockets just jetted as shown?
Great outfit. Looks very toasty/warm for the climate you're in. Question: I've never seen pants like these with the two vertical strips of fabric, just above the pleats. May I inquire as to their purpose?
Thanks for the clarification. Personal preference of course, but since it's such a traditional American jacket (fabric, shape, three-button, etc.), I'd reinforce the look by leaving the flaps exposed. Jetted pockets (sans flaps) are a much more formal look (think tuxedos) and when not on formal wear, are typically seen on Italian or British suits. Flaps or not, great classic jacket!
Very dapper look. Well done! Might want to find a different place to store your wines. The combination of the sun coming in the window, and the heater vent, will wreck havoc on them.

Might I suggest multi-quote?

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AAS, I believe that a solid blue shirt would have been a better choice for this attempt at four-pattern bingo, though I am in lust for that tattersall waistcoat.

When I was in elementary school, I remember the title of one of the books which were used to teach us reading - "If I Were Going". My attire for today is a variant on that - "If I Were Going Outside", as it's currently -5C, with a wind chill factor making it feel as if it were -14C. The jury is still out on whether I face the great outdoors today or not, but, if I do, it will be with style.

Suit - Brooks Brothers MTM (Southwick)
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - Penhaligon's
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Ashear (I would say "vintage", as it's about 40 years old, but, as I was the original purchaser when new, I am unsure if such a designation applies - perhaps, just "old", like its owner.)
Boots - Cheaney, via Harrods
Overcoat - Brooks Brothers
Scarf - Fortnum & Mason
Hat - Seifter Associates
Face mask - New & Lingwood

View attachment 1545369

I agree a blue shirt would have been better. Unfortunately sometimes laundry dictates our choices.

On a separate note, awesome suit and polo coat. Stay warm out there.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here I am on the roof of a parking garage, as one does. The moleskin trousers are already wrinkling from the relatively short commute to my office.

r57DWkb.jpg

Here's a better view of the pattern on the sportcoat, which doesn't render well on my screen on the full body shot. The shirt is off-white.

U6uVYO9.jpg

And here I go to take on the day:

MUpabQv.jpg

Last edited:

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm inept. Can you explain how to use multi-quote and its purpose? Thanks!

I'll do my best. I think there was a visual tutorial when SF moved to the new platform a couple years ago.

In the bottom of each post should be the following buttons: LIKE, +QUOTE and REPLY

If you select the +Quote button it adds that post to a "multi-quote" list. Then in the Reply box, select "Insert Quotes" it will then give you a list of all the quotes you added to the list, you can remove posts from that list if you find posts you no longer want to quote.

Once you hit the blue “Quote Messages” button, all the quotes will be posted into your draft response.

loarbmhs

Reaction score
I'll do my best. I think there was a visual tutorial when SF moved to the new platform a couple years ago.

In the bottom of each post should be the following buttons: LIKE, +QUOTE and REPLY

If you select the +Quote button it adds that post to a "multi-quote" list. Then in the Reply box, select "Insert Quotes" it will then give you a list of all the quotes you added to the list, you can remove posts from that list if you find posts you no longer want to quote.

Once you hit the blue “Quote Messages” button, all the quotes will be posted into your draft response.

I just did it here (I think). What's the difference/advantage vs. just hitting Reply?

beneven

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. Personal preference of course, but since it's such a traditional American jacket (fabric, shape, three-button, etc.), I'd reinforce the look by leaving the flaps exposed. Jetted pockets (sans flaps) are a much more formal look (think tuxedos) and when not on formal wear, are typically seen on Italian or British suits. Flaps or not, great classic jacket!

That's a good point, details like that are interesting to me--I'll work on my flap focus haha

Four patterns. How’d I do?

View attachment 1545275

Love that tie, my dude.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to reply to multiple posts, you can do that, but all in one post, vice multiple individual replies to each post. It looks cleaner, and is easrier (for many) to read.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt here – man, you've really gotta watch your tone if you're not intending for these to sound like jabs.

My comment was intended as light hearted ribbing about your knot. To be clear, I think your knot looks bad and seems like an affectation, which detracts from, rather than elevates the look. If thats how you like to wear your knots, more power to you and I hope you enjoy them. However, we dont live in a vacuum and if a comment as benign as mine upsets you, you're in for a tough time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads