• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Geesh, where do you live? It was a mini blizzard here today.

I like the choice of handkerchief.
Cheers. From Vanda (obviously can't recommend highly enough) and their Aesop's fables run. Top notch quality, and a fun little moral to accompany it.
Los Angeles. Temps are finally "dropping" into the 50s (with rain!) in the coming days. Can't come soon enough.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers. From Vanda (obviously can't recommend highly enough) and their Aesop's fables run. Top notch quality, and a fun little moral to accompany it.
Los Angeles. Temps are finally "dropping" into the 50s (with rain!) in the coming days. Can't come soon enough.
Can't Come Soon Enough, I've Purchased So Much Flannel... :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has occurred to me that, when I emerge from my home dressed as I usually am when posting in this forum, that, in comparison to fellow citizens, I appear like a Spanish galleon in full sail in a sea of motorized dinghies - a bit grandiose and out of step with the current world. So be it. For better or worse, I enjoy exercising the visual vocabulary of menswear, manipulating line, form, color and texture to whatever visual effect I deem most pleasing, in this, one of most temporary of civilized pleasures, dressing well.

We are of like mind.

Places to go.
IMG_8345.jpeg

IMG_8350.jpeg

IMG_8355.jpeg
IMG_8357.jpeg

JJ Katz

Reaction score
A Spanish Colonial Revival tile stairway and me.

View attachment 1539506

Brooks Brothers Brookstweed jacket and BB#1 stripe tie, L L Bean blue and white University stripe OCBD shirt and corduroy trousers, Thomas Pink pocket square, and Allen-Edmonds shoes.

Those of us who have had the good fortune to have lived most of our lives before the internet was invented can still remember when people buttoned their jackets any way they wanted.

Then the internet was invented and a gaggle of silly twits starting making up totally ridiculous "rules" about buttoning jackets.

Always remember your jackets are your property. You went to work to make the money to pay for your jackets and no one has the right to tell you how to button your jacket.

Here's yet another example from the Golden Era before the internet was invented. It's a picture I found on the PBS website in a slideshow related to the program, "The Unseen Alistair Cooke".

Here we can all see Alistair Cooke with only the bottom button buttoned on a three button jacket.

View attachment 1539510

When I was young, someone who’d attended college in the 50s said that the preferred way for a lot of fellows back then was indeed to tie only thebottom button

JJ Katz

Reaction score

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was young, someone who’d attended college in the 50s said that the preferred way for a lot of fellows back then was indeed to tie only thebottom button

One of the many pictures from the wonderful time before the internet was invented and people buttoned their jackets any way they wanted.

(From 1954 to 1994 I lived around the corner from where this picture was taken.)

Cary Grant Beverly Hills.jpg

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cr2596

Reaction score
I'm curious as to why I don't see khaki pants paired with a navy blazer too often if at all. Is that not how life is done anymore?
That reads of adolescence and school uniforms to me, which is why I avoid it. Then again, I’m not into ivy at all. Do you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads