• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

monkey66

Reaction score
If I wear summer trousers it feels less grey outside. Blazer is an old Dunhill (Italian made). Shoes dark museum plum, nearly impossible to photograph in poor light.
2021-01-19 10.11.20 copy.jpg

2021-01-19 10.08.20 copy.jpg

2021-01-19 10.08.33 copy.jpg

2021-01-19 10.10.27 copy.jpg

2021-01-19 10.09.35 copy.jpg

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I wear summer trousers it feels less grey outside. Blazer is an old Dunhill (Italian made). Shoes dark museum plum, nearly impossible to photograph in poor light. View attachment 1538458

View attachment 1538459

View attachment 1538460

View attachment 1538461

View attachment 1538462

It could be the picture, but the fit on this jacket looks, well, challenging...

I also think the cloth resolves very much like an orphaned suit jacket. Again, could just be the picture.

monkey66

Reaction score
It could be the picture, but the fit on this jacket looks, well, challenging...

I also think the cloth resolves very much like an orphaned suit jacket. Again, could just be the picture.
Defiantly a blazer, I think the trousers are wrong so everything is suffering. The fit was better last time I wore it, perhaps in denial abut too many lockdown pounds ?

Seeing the pictures on-line I am a bit conflicted about this outfit.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Defiantly a blazer, I think the trousers are wrong so everything is suffering. The fit was better last time I wore it, perhaps in denial abut too many lockdown pounds ?

Shoes look nice...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a grey day here now, in NYC, after a morning of full sunshine. Today's attire was chosen by what I would term "the pachinko method" - a desire to wear a particular article of clothing, then the process (left much to chance and happenstance) to find things that will coordinate with the items already chosen - one doesn't know exactly where the pachinko ball will fall, only that it will eventually hit bottom.

Suit & face mask - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM (from my first batch of MTM shirts, ordered sometime in the last millennium)
Tie - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - Trevelyan, London (a shop long since defunct)
Braces - Lewin
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson, London
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Overcoat - Brooks Brothers
Scarf - vintage Johnstons of Elgin
Hat - Selentino

IMG_5027.JPG

IMG_5020.JPG
IMG_5022.JPG
IMG_5023.JPG
IMG_5024.JPG
IMG_5025.JPG
IMG_5026.JPG

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a grey day here now, in NYC, after a morning of full sunshine. Today's attire was chosen by what I would term "the pachinko method" - a desire to wear a particular article of clothing, then the process (left much to chance and happenstance) to find things that will coordinate with the items already chosen - one doesn't know exactly where the pachinko ball will fall, only that it will eventually hit bottom.

I often utilize this method when I get a new piece of clothing, the desire to wear the new tie, shoes, shirt, etc. takes precedence, then I choose the rest to with it....thank you for giving it a name I can use in my head.

Other times, (mostly recently since my new acquisitions have gone way down) I start with the weather, and what is going on that day (work, no work, meetings etc.) and go from there.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score

The fit on the jacket is a bit off, but in these days of lockdowns that's pretty common. I think the big issue is, as you say, the trousers. Or more specifically, how they differ in formality from everything else, with nothing to bridge the gap. The jacket is shiny and dark (which does give suit-jacket vibes), the tie is fairly formal, the watch is formal, the shoes are formal (very nice, btw). The trousers are off. They don't go well with the color or the structure of the jacket, and they don't go well with the formal shoes. There's nothing to really pick up their color either. Some less formal accessories may have helped (maybe a knitted tie and loafers?), but even then the clash between the jacket and the trousers would likely be too noticable.

Knowing that color perception depends a lot on the screen you use, to me the jacket looks charcoal-to-black (and the shoes look dark brown). So that may obviously influence my perception a bit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads