• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

psb

Reaction score

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgive me, as you are always well dressed and I enjoy your posts immensely, but the pattern matching on that suit jacket is pretty poor. Did they try to alter the sleeves from the shoulder?

Very observant of you. New & Lingwood make all their RTW suits with working button holes, which means that if the sleeves need to be shortened by any significant amount, they are done from the shoulder, which I am sure is what was done with this suit, as my arms are always a bit short for N & L's standard sleeve length.

I looking at the photos again, the pattern matching (or lack thereof) doesn't bother me - it seems to be consistent, horizontally, and certainly looks better than if they hadn't adjusted the sleeves for me.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
shortening sleeves from the shoulder is not unlike shortening trouser legs from the crotch seam

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hola!

JJ Katz

Reaction score

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Textures: hopsack jacket, flannel trousers, oxford shirt, madder tie, wool/silk square, braided leather belt
20210118_120302.jpg

20210118_130454.jpg

20210118_120208.jpg

20210118_111807.jpg

Ezra Paul jacket
Spier & Mackay trousers
Kamakura shirt
Vintage Robert Talbott tie
Olof 1982 square
Vintage L.L. Bean belt
Hamilton Khaki Field automatic watch w/ Crown&Buckle "night + harvest" chevron strap

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very observant of you. New & Lingwood make all their RTW suits with working button holes, which means that if the sleeves need to be shortened by any significant amount, they are done from the shoulder, which I am sure is what was done with this suit, as my arms are always a bit short for N & L's standard sleeve length.

I looking at the photos again, the pattern matching (or lack thereof) doesn't bother me - it seems to be consistent, horizontally, and certainly looks better than if they hadn't adjusted the sleeves for me.

I didnt realize this was RTW, so that makes perfect sense. As someone with relatively short arms, I feel your pain. Before I started my MTM company, I was always doing math in my head before buying anything with working buttonholes on the sleeves.

As an aside, I have been meaning to tell you for some time that you remind me immensely of my friend. You favor each other both in appearance and style, so I always think of him when I see your posts.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shortening sleeves from the shoulder is not unlike shortening trouser legs from the crotch seam

When one has working button holes already cut into the sleeve end (and the suit in question was RTW), shortening the sleeve from the shoulder was the only available method of alteration.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didnt realize this was RTW, so that makes perfect sense. As someone with relatively short arms, I feel your pain. Before I started my MTM company, I was always doing math in my head before buying anything with working buttonholes on the sleeves.

As an aside, I have been meaning to tell you for some time that you remind me immensely of my friend. You favor each other both in appearance and style, so I always think of him when I see your posts.

When I buy from New & Lingwood, I am always torn between getting a suit in their regular cut, and one in their short size. The short suits, the sleeves are the right length without fail, but the button stance I find a bit high for my tastes. The regulars normally need sleeve shortening, but the button stance is more to my liking. I have to do the mental calculus in my head to anticipate whether or not the resulting alterations will be to my liking or not.

It was very kind of you to mention my resemblance to your friend - it would seem that seeing photos of me reminds you of him, and that the memories are fond, I am more than happy to provide such positive cues to your recollections. :)

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's theme is dissonance. Given it is a beautiful winter day I wanted a fit contrasting spring/winter. And to screw up with OCD members, I will borrow the idea from @psb and share my Dedegumo watch, which features a counter-clockwise movement (it takes some time getting used to it). And count me in on @chocsosa's four-pattern bingo.

IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2158 (1).JPG
IMG_2195.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads