• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a black shantung tie that I have worn with a dinner jacket successfully.

I think that would work for sure, but it’s a silk knit tie

Up front, I am supremely biased against any sort of traditional necktie with black tie

Without seeing a side by side, I think I would opt for the BW bow tie.

YMMV

I’m leaning toward the bow tie.

Come awwwwn man! Black tie events are few and far between. You can’t wear a long tie. Don’t you live in NYC? There must be some options for you to pick up a black bow tie in time surely? If that’s absolutely out of the question then the BW bow tie will have to do but you’ll surely regret not getting into the full rig??

It is not a fancy event. We’re taking a holiday card photo tomorrow in the park. Unfortunately, there are no businesses in walking distance that have a black tie. I don’t have a car or care to go out even if I did. Excuses. Excuses. I’ll probably just go with the bow tie.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is not a fancy event. We’re taking a holiday card photo tomorrow in the park. Unfortunately, there are no businesses in walking distance that have a black tie. I don’t have a car or care to go out even if I did. Excuses. Excuses. I’ll probably just go with the bow tie.
Black Watch is like your "thing", man. And, I think it would look objectively better than a long tie-knit or not-if you wear a burgundy jacket.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1508512

One day at a time. Stay sober.
It should be noted I in no way disputed his original assessment. That tie was a must (visiting my folks early for Turkey Day and brought no #menswear up lol) for a work call. Big bold paisley is not quite my steez.
Better but the jacket is giving off a casual vibe. Is it cotton?
Very casual. Linen from Harrisons...though it would make for one sexy summer suit.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which park and what time? I'll swing by a few options for you.

But yes, I'd opt for blackwatch bow tie if I were in your position (affinity for blackwatch withstanding).

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It should be noted I in no way disputed his original assessment. That tie was a must (visiting my folks early for Turkey Day and brought no #menswear up lol) for a work call. Big bold paisley is not quite my steez.

Very casual. Linen from Harrisons...though it would make for one sexy summer suit.
I was just kidding. That paisley tie did look like a bad LSD trip though. Just say no.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black watch plaid, black watch stripe, and red vest.

7D4AA1E9-23E4-4F40-99AE-33B9DE7033FA.jpeg

2A04B8A0-D43E-4491-8F59-410DCAA568EA.jpeg

DEB9F513-4FBB-4B66-B2B3-DC0A4AB30C73.jpeg

515A5856-FB4A-4385-94B8-5C3C2A08D603.jpeg

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need some advice. I don’t wear dinner jackets often and don’t have a good rig.

I’m planning to wear a pair of black tuxedo pants, with a tuxedo shirt and a burgundy velvet shawl collar jacket.

I’d like to wear a black knit tie as it’s the only black tie I have. I have a black watch bow tie that I usually wear with this rig.

Is the black knit tie “acceptable”? Probably not, but I figured I should ask. I don’t have time to buy something. Thanks.

Why not take a Picture, (both Tie and BW) if this is your controlled photo shoot with family, then decide! :stirpot:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The weather is overcast and much colder today here in NYC than yesterday, giving one the reason (or the excuse) to don an overcoat, along with scarf and hat. Today's suit is something of a mystery to me - one I've not worn in a long while, and one which purchase I cannot rightly remember. Happily, it seems to fit, and is a solid enough fabric to keep out any stray cold breezes.

Suit - New & Lingwood
Shirt & braces - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Lewin (I would say vintage, as it's labeled "Made in England", which hasn't happened in some decades, but I was the original purchaser - oh, well, tempus fugit)
Cufflinks - DVVS, NYC (now defunct)
Pocket square - Ede & Ravenscroft
Shoes - Carmina
Overcoat - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Scarf - Paul Stuart
Hat - Laird, London
(Not shown - face mask - New & Lingwood)

View attachment 1508860

I have no recollection of where I picked up my main navy suit of many years. I am pretty certain it predated my move to San Francisco, but it was so sober and of such classic proportions that I can't imagine why I bought it back then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I need some advice. I don’t wear dinner jackets often and don’t have a good rig.

I’m planning to wear a pair of black tuxedo pants, with a tuxedo shirt and a burgundy velvet shawl collar jacket.

I’d like to wear a black knit tie as it’s the only black tie I have. I have a black watch bow tie that I usually wear with this rig.

Is the black knit tie “acceptable”? Probably not, but I figured I should ask. I don’t have time to buy something. Thanks.
HAYULL NO it's not acceptable. I will fly to NYC and fight you if you do this.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

HAYULL NO it's not acceptable. I will fly to NYC and fight you if you do this.

Go with the black watch bow tie - Shug and I are in agreement on this (as are you, in your heart of hearts).

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I now desperately want to watch a movie or prestige tv series about a corrupt security guard. That has to be a thing, right?
Can't think of any movies/tv shows off the top of my head, but the security guard who is a part of a gang that robs a bank is a pretty common plot device.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics