• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's like, how much more blackwatch could this be? And the answer is none. None more blackwatch.
But actually...I considered brining my Blackwatch umbrella, briefcase, and gloves. :bigstar:

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
John Smedley have been running some good deals recently, so I picked up a polo shirt. With jeans and a (new) tweed jacket. Bit more casual than I usually go, but it's Saturday. Which I should spend polishing my loafers...

Tweed1 4.jpg

Tweed1 5.jpg

TweedotD 5.jpg

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
John Smedley have been running some good deals recently, so I picked up a polo shirt. With jeans and a (new) tweed jacket. Bit more casual than I usually go, but it's Saturday. Which I should spend polishing my loafers...

View attachment 1506320

View attachment 1506321

View attachment 1506322
This kind of thing just looks strange to me. I mean, all of the items are lovely, but it's the combination. I understand that "smart" jackets and jeans is a thing at the moment , but my brain can't get over the idiosyncrasies here. A smart jacket that looks like it should be worn for a stylish wedding or a casual dinner at a nice restaurant, alongside jeans and a polo that ... don't. Sorry if this sounds harsh and it's more me trying to get my head around modern modes of dress than a comment on you, really.
I'm not brave enough to post my own pictures in this thread with all the style gods, so I can't hold myself up as any kind of authority on style, but personally I wouldn't wear a jacket as elegant and refined looking as that with less than a button-up shirt and tailored trousers. Am I weird?

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
This kind of thing just looks strange to me. I mean, all of the items are lovely, but it's the combination. I understand that "smart" jackets and jeans is a thing at the moment , but my brain can't get over the idiosyncrasies here. A smart jacket that looks like it should be worn for a stylish wedding or a casual dinner at a nice restaurant, alongside jeans and a polo that ... don't. Sorry if this sounds harsh and it's more me trying to get my head around modern modes of dress than a comment on you, really.
I'm not brave enough to post my own pictures in this thread with all the style gods, so I can't hold myself up as any kind of authority on style, but personally I wouldn't wear a jacket as elegant and refined looking as that with less than a button-up shirt and tailored trousers. Am I weird?

No offence taken, it's a valid question, and one I've considered a bit myself recently. To be honest, I don't think it worked out all that well either: I like all the pieces of the outfit, but they didn't come together the way I had hoped. I find that posting even the things that do not come together is sometimes worthwhile. While it's never much fun receiving criticism, if you never do anything "wrong" (using whatever definition of wrong you are comfortable with), you never went outside of your comfort zone. Also, once you've been told you look like a fool a couple of times on Styleforum, you realize life goes on and there are more important things in life than the approval of some blokes on the internet.

That said, the jacket probably looks sharper in pictures than in real life. It's a unconstructed tweed jacket, half-lined, with patch pockets. It's well made, but I do not consider it a very formal - I'd wear it to an informal office or the pub, and I'm happy to wear it walking the dog or for a walk around the countryside (weather permitting, obviously, as it's not that warm), but I wouldn't wear it for a wedding or a formal job interview. But all in all, yeah, it will still definitely go better with some tailored cords, moleskin or cavalry twill.

There is a way to do jeans and a jacket. That is not the way.

All things considered, your opinion is not without merit.

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is almost right.

The loafers and jacket, and even the polo, can certainly work with this look. What I would do, if it were me in the outfit, is unbutton the polo - probably two buttons at least. If it's long-sleeved I would undo the cuffs one button and turn them back a bit - if short, why with a tweed? (it would be better with white linen in the summer). The jeans would have to be slimmer, and that would make the cuff work - but probably somewhat smaller.

Since it's a tweed, I'd add a cashmere scarf under the jacket.

cr2596

Reaction score
The extended, rigid shoulder, the pocket square, and the cuffed ends do not mesh well. I have come to believe the small details are the most important factor of a SC + jean combination.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1506320

View attachment 1506321

View attachment 1506322

Lose the square and burn the jeans. This is non-negotiable.

I do really like the jacket though, and I would like the polo under the jacket were it not for the weird collar shape. I'd suggest unbuttoning the top button. With a pair of trousers you'd have quite a nice look. Think Robert Forster in Jackie Brown.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’ve shown a good attitude to the facts of SF life there, which are ...

You join SF and post pics, you take ****
Post a few more pics, you take more ****
Dress a little higher standard, take less ****.
Till one day you're in the rarefied atmosphere and you’ve forgotten what **** even looks like.

Welcome to the SF layer cake, son

Stylewords

Reaction score

View attachment 1506320

View attachment 1506321

View attachment 1506322
I think if this fit is generating comments it's because it seems like it might be ok, but isn't for some reason.

My opinion:

1. Loafers and tweed jacket don't mix. The jacket is fine - herringbone tweed with patch pockets is informal, but strong shoulders make a combination with jeans a little more difficult.
2. Jeans are fine, but turn-ups/cuffs are too big / should be removed.
3. I like John Smedley polos but I don't think they work well under jackets - too thin and flimsy.
4. Get rid of the pocket square.
5. Colour combination not right - maybe needs more contrast, darker jacket, lighter shirt.

All in all, I think they are good pieces that fit well. I only comment because I try jeans / sports jacket myself, but often find it's difficult to get right.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
I think if this fit is generating comments it's because it seems like it might be ok, but isn't for some reason.

My opinion:

1. Loafers and tweed jacket don't mix. The jacket is fine - herringbone tweed with patch pockets is informal, but strong shoulders make a combination with jeans a little more difficult.
2. Jeans are fine, but turn-ups/cuffs are too big / should be removed.
3. I like John Smedley polos but I don't think they work well under jackets - too thin and flimsy.
4. Get rid of the pocket square.
5. Colour combination not right - maybe needs more contrast, darker jacket, lighter shirt.

All in all, I think they are good pieces that fit well. I only comment because I try jeans / sports jacket myself, but often find it's difficult to get right.

To be honest, I think I enjoy it more if something I post create some serious discussion than if it receives approval (don't get me wrong, the approval is nice too!) Between praise and ruthless ad hominem attacks, there is a place where I may actually learn something.

I agree on the PS: it's an old habit that die hard. But PS and jeans is not going to look right. The jeans themselves seem to be the most divisive piece of clothing I know, since the SF community mostly malign them, but the feedback IRL have been very positive. Different audiences, I suppose. The fit (and the turn-ups) are slightly off because they're unwashed denim which (according to the tailor) has a bit of shrinkage, so they made them slightly roomier than I would normally go for because after the first wash, they "can shorten them but they can't lengthen them".

I'm a bit surprised about the comments about strong shoulders on the jacket, as it has very little construction and the shoulders have minimal padding. It must be my buff physique that's giving the impression - I DID do two push ups last month (not consecutive ones, mind you, I'm not an olympian!).

Nice structure on that tie!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

View attachment 1506320

View attachment 1506321

View attachment 1506322
Just my two cents...

I think you better post this outfit here :

Or there:

I do like Tweed jackets, Smedleys polos, jeans, and loafers, but...

As we known SC & Jeans is a kind of risky outfit... The fit of the clothes has to be good to make it work.

This jacket is not a good fit for you, something wrong with the shoulders and the overall fit. I also think ( just my opinion) that side vents don't work with the Jacket & Jeans combo. Single vent looks better and less formal.

(This PS is a no no)

A nice shirt and colour but i also think Smedleys don't work with a jacket, or eventually with a linen jacket, unstructured. I love Smedleys but i either wear them on their own or eventually with a Baracuta.

Jeans work with a jacket if they are rather slim. This one is too wide and there is too much material at the thighs.
The turn up is also not looking good, try smaller turn-ups or even better (still in the idea SC + jeans), no turn ups, and jeans hemmed at the proper length. Especially with loafers (BTW they look nice)

All IMO
Cheers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads