• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think all these things are binary - does it look good or bad? And I agree there’s never really a right answer since it’s always in the eye of the beholder and more importantly the wearer.

There is definitely a middle ground for many tie/square combos where it is just mediocre, but not bad or good. I could be wrong, but I'm not seeing people in the middle of this collar buttoning discussion.

To me, the unbuttoned collar buttons are like wearing your shoes untied, or a waistcoat without the buttons being done. Of course, you dont have to do those things, but not doing so is an affectation, or forced sprezz, rather than something organic and stylish. These are my opinions of course, but it feels very iGent-y.

It is not like leaving your shoes untied. Most shoes will not function correctly if left untied. You also run the risk of tripping on your laces. Your collar will function fine if left unbuttoned. Most people do not button the last button of their waistcoat or cardigan for that matter. It is not wrong or sprezz either. Waistcoats fit/sit better especially when sitting if the bottom button is left undone.

People have been not buttoning their collars for a long time. Paul Newman had the audacity to pop his button down collar. Andy Warhol sometimes didn't button his collar. Proto sprezz? Not buttoning changes the profile of the collar to a forward or spread collar. It allows a shirt to be worn in more than one way.

I will say, I generally think that not buttoning collars looks silly, but both @Konnor and @Poszetka have such good fits that I could be convinced I’m wrong.

Hold tight to your convictions. Don't be distracted by how stylish they are otherwise.

If you want to wear a shirt without buttoning the collar, grab a shirt with a collar that doesn't have buttons. Otherwise it looks like you're trying too hard, or it's laundry day.

Not buttoning does not mean you're trying to hard. It requires MORE effort to button the collar than to leave it undone. It's the lazy thing to do.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is definitely a middle ground for many tie/square combos where it is just mediocre, but not bad or good. I could be wrong, but I'm not seeing people in the middle of this collar buttoning discussion.

It is not like leaving your shoes untied. Most shoes will not function correctly if left untied. You also run the risk of tripping on your laces. Your collar will function fine if left unbuttoned. Most people do not button the last button of their waistcoat or cardigan for that matter. It is not wrong or sprezz either. Waistcoats fit/sit better especially when sitting if the bottom button is left undone.

People have been not buttoning their collars for a long time. Paul Newman had the audacity to pop his button down collar. Andy Warhol sometimes didn't button his collar. Proto sprezz? Not buttoning changes the profile of the collar to a forward or spread collar. It allows a shirt to be worn in more than one way.

Hold tight to your convictions. Don't be distracted by how stylish they are otherwise.

Not buttoning does not mean you're trying to hard. It requires MORE effort to button the collar than to leave it undone. It's the lazy thing to do.
"It is not like leaving your shoes untied. Most shoes will not function correctly if left untied."

Actually they now make shoes meant to be worn tied or untied. Personally I thought that it was lame and
as someone else posted, trying too hard. And similar to collar buttons being undone, there is a style of
not tying sneakers. Then again some people see it stylish to wear their pants below their ass.

And while not buttoning the collar may change it to, in your eyes, a spread or forward collar it still just looks like
someone forgot to button the collar in my eyes.
I don't begrudge anyone for doing it. I simply gave my general take on how I see it.

Anyways let us keep this collar button discussion going. It is certainly entertaining.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather is sunny but cold here in NYC, inspiring me to don my heaviest flannel three-piece suit. Photos were a little late today, due to technical difficulties with the home camera (it is getting balky in its old age, I assume - like many of us).

Suit - Brooks Brothers MTM
Shirt & cufflinks - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Thomas Farthing, London
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Vintage watch chain
Shoes - Magnanni for Bergdorf Goodman
Overcoat - Adolfo
Scarf - Paul Stuart
Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center, NYC
Face mask - New & Lingwood

IMG_4738.JPG

IMG_4729.JPG
IMG_4730.JPG
IMG_4734.JPG
IMG_4735.JPG
IMG_4737.JPG

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the ATL weather today for my trip back up there. Not quite sure what I'll be packing for the 40-70 range haha.
Is that a big spread in most places? 30 degrees in a day is pretty standard up here in the upper midwest. We call it "Wednesday" :)

jiredell

Reaction score
I guess it’s not that much of a spread. It generally doesn’t really get cold here. If visiting from FL, add a layer for mornings (a cardigan or something). Peel it off at lunch and you’re good

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will say, I generally think that not buttoning collars looks silly, but both @Konnor and @Poszetka have such good fits that I could be convinced I’m wrong.
The fact that these two posters, among some others (phat guido) post pics of such otherwise exemplary fits makes it look all the more affected and silly to me. Same with the side by side or overly long rear tie blades.
Playing the armchair psychologist I wonder if it’s exposing insecurities. Manly men are not supposed to indulge in such effeminate activities as showing a concern for appearance so let’s do some deliberate act of imperfection to try and show we’re really not THAT bothered about our appearance, despite bespoke suits, shirts, silk ties and hand made shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads