• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Pumpkin & moss.

Threads cited:

Items purchased new: Brooks brothers shirt; Corbin trousers from a now defunct menswear store here in Georgia; Bryford socks; DB blazer from Grady Ervin in Charleston.

Items purchased pre-owned from eBay, thrift, & consignment: Braces; tie bar; Alden tassels.

Mask: Cordial Churchman.

Antique linen pocket square from a friend.

Fedora: Goorin Brothers, Charleston.

Timex Weekender watch with Smart Turnout watch band.

Glasses and sunglasses: Warby Parker

Timex Weekender watch with Smart Turnout watch band.

Glasses and sunglasses: Warby Parker.

#VintageStyleNotVintageValues #stylishacademic #professorstyle #fashionintheclassroom #BlackLivesMatter

20201028_115617.jpg 20201028_115524.jpg

Butler

Reaction score
First off, welcome back Cleav - great to see your smiling face and your immaculate wardrobe gracing this thread again . . .

The weather in NYC today is misty - lightly raining earlier, now just very foggy (the Empire State Building, normally easily seen from my living room window, is now much obscured, and One World Trade has totally disappeared). Be that as it may, the heart wants what it wants, and today, it wanted to wear a waistcoat. Reaching into my closet for what was next in rotation that hadn't been worn in a while, I came across today's suit/waistcoat combo - bought at different times and on different continents, yet seeming to wed gracefully to one another.

It is also cool enough for me to wear a proper hat today - hurrah.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Waistcoat - Ede & Ravenscroft, London
Shirt - Hilditch & Key
Tie - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - Benson & Clegg, London
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Vintage watch chain
Boots - Paul Smith
Trilby - Laird, London
Face mask - New & Lingwood

View attachment 1485985

Butler

Reaction score
First off, welcome back Cleav - great to see your smiling face and your immaculate wardrobe gracing this thread again . . .

The weather in NYC today is misty - lightly raining earlier, now just very foggy (the Empire State Building, normally easily seen from my living room window, is now much obscured, and One World Trade has totally disappeared). Be that as it may, the heart wants what it wants, and today, it wanted to wear a waistcoat. Reaching into my closet for what was next in rotation that hadn't been worn in a while, I came across today's suit/waistcoat combo - bought at different times and on different continents, yet seeming to wed gracefully to one another.

It is also cool enough for me to wear a proper hat today - hurrah.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Waistcoat - Ede & Ravenscroft, London
Shirt - Hilditch & Key
Tie - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - Benson & Clegg, London
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Vintage watch chain
Boots - Paul Smith
Trilby - Laird, London
Face mask - New & Lingwood

View attachment 1485985

Miles R.

Reaction score
This is the first striped tie that I really like. I usually avoid it like the plague (maybe not a good turn of phrase in 2020?).

View attachment 1486471
View attachment 1486470
The use of that phrase ("to avoid like the plague") in present circumstances seems to me not nearly as annoying as the use of the phrase "to go viral," which was already annoying before the pandemic but which is now inexcusable.

Interesting that you have been averse to striped ties but like this one. I suspect that this one appeals to you because the stripes are broader and less strongly contrasted than most stripe patterns in ties. I have noticed that the striped ties that I like tend to be of this character.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that this is most likely the case and would add that the texture also plays a role. I enjoy shantung ties maybe a bit too much.

The use of that phrase ("to avoid like the plague") in present circumstances seems to me not nearly as annoying as the use of the phrase "to go viral," which was already annoying before the pandemic but which is now inexcusable.

Interesting that you have been averse to striped ties but like this one. I suspect that this one appeals to you because the stripes are broader and less strongly contrasted than most stripe patterns in ties. I have noticed that the striped ties that I like tend to be of this character.

TheVirt

Reaction score
Tonal continues. Next jacket is definitely gonna be a grey herringbone to replace this super-old Uniqlo jacket, maybe something in Moon lambswool. Anyone have other suggestions for softer tweeds?

IMG_5004.jpg

Shirt: The Anthology bespoke
Tie: Eidos Napoli
Square: Brunello Cucinelli
Jacket: mentioned above duh

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tonal continues. Next jacket is definitely gonna be a grey herringbone to replace this super-old Uniqlo jacket, maybe something in Moon lambswool. Anyone have other suggestions for softer tweeds?

View attachment 1486690

Shirt: The Anthology bespoke
Tie: Eidos Napoli
Square: Brunello Cucinelli
Jacket: mentioned above duh

Please button your collar points.

TheVirt

Reaction score
No ire, and forgive me if it came across as dick-ish...

I just think things like that look pretty try-hard and detract from the look. Forced sprezzatura as it were, resulting in non-sprezz. If that makes sense.
Apology accepted. In this case, the shirt collar was cut a little bit large (first commission) so it looks a bit strange buttoned with a tie, hence my decision to leave it undone.

I agree that forced sprezzatura isn't really in the true spirit of it – the best sprezzatura imo comes from a place of reasoned practicality. But this is a perfect example – how were you to know of my reasoning for it without my explanation? I personally choose to give people the benefit of the doubt that their imperfections have a reason to them rather than just for their own sake – saves me a good amount of hair pulling ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads