• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crosspost from MTM thread:

Theres been lots of words recently, and too few pictures. This is my navy jacket and this is the happiest I've been with any of the incumbents of that position. The cloth is a great Scabal Lambswool/ Cashmere blend that has a lot of body as well as some visual texture. The shirt has the collar that I have transitioned to and will be using for my future orders. The trousers are an older pair of VBC flannel from a previous maker that are due to be replaced, but the cloth is nice.

PXL_20201008_164903065.jpg

PXL_20201008_164913451.jpg

PXL_20201008_164922004.jpg

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided to try something a little different today. Did it work? Hard to say. I typically wear a solid shirt with this jacket but thought I'd give this a go.

View attachment 1485329 View attachment 1485330 View attachment 1485331
The shirt pattern and jacket pattern are too similar in size. A wider stripe in the shirt would look good.
I strongly disagree with this suggestion. I like it as-is, but if I were to suggest an improvement it would be to use a lower-contrast stripe for the shirt.

Edited to incorporate @sugarbutch 's reply

Sport coat and trousers work well together.
Mostly agree with @FlowableFill, although I would try the shirt/sport coat combo with a solid tie and see if that brings it together. Agree with SB, but would definitely recommend a solid tie if you are keeping the shirt in the outfit.

Regardless, either the shirt or tie need to be solid.

megadork2000

Reaction score
Recent in the phone pics.
002.JPG
004.JPG
006.JPG
008.JPG
010.JPG
024.PNG
031.JPG
044.JPG

I'm gonna be off the net for while. In case I never come back, I want to say thanks to everyone for the thumbs and advice(even the ridiculously stupid advice). Later.
050.PNG

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That last picture lol. Pajazzo di tutti pajazzi

loarbmhs

Reaction score
Edited to incorporate @sugarbutch 's reply

Sport coat and trousers work well together.
Mostly agree with @FlowableFill, although I would try the shirt/sport coat combo with a solid tie and see if that brings it together. Agree with SB, but would definitely recommend a solid tie if you are keeping the shirt in the outfit.

Regardless, either the shirt or tie need to be solid.
Agree with Sugarbutch. Neither the shirt nor the tie needs to be solid. Check out Alan Flusser's style tips. It's fine that the jacket and shirt patterns are of similar scale, so long as the tie stripes are a different scale than the shirt's, which these are. Yes, it's tricky to mix patterns well, but it's been done masterfully here.

Miles R.

Reaction score
The shirt is unusual for me in two ways: one, it is red (red-and-white twill, not pink), which is a color that I rarely adopt as the main color of a shirt; and two, it has a wide-spread collar, or whatever one calls that design. I found that the latter feature raises some difficulty for choosing a tie to wear with it, as only a full-windsor knot will fill the space to the collar (and even then not completely), and that rules out using a tie of thick material.

The collar gap does not appear when my arms are down.

2020.10.27 (2).JPG

2020.10.27 (1).JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads