• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I concur! Im not a big face watch kinda guy.. most in my rotation hover from 34mm to 36mm.. I have a larger face watch that clocks in at 44mm, but I rarely wear it anymore..

I really detest big face watches. It screams tacky nouveau riche to have a huge Breitling on your arm. My opinion ofc and if you like big watches, don't mind me.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC was supposed to have been drizzly this morning, with clearing this afternoon, though evidence of clearing has not yet been seen - it still looks wet outside.

To that end, instead of adding something new to the suit rotation, I am wearing something already worn at least twice since its last dry cleaning. Today, it is the choice of accessories that is the item of interest.

As is my habit, while exercising on the stationary bike in the morning, I watch a variety of TV programs - intellectual junk food, to be sure, but it makes the process of aerobic stimulation less tedious. Lately, I've been watching "Victoria", streaming from PBS, and the other day, there was a close up of the actor playing Prince Albert, without a jacket on, and lo and behold, Prince Albert is wearing the same pattern of braces as I've chosen for today. An amusing coincidence.

Also, noted in the close up of accessories, I show three pairs of cufflinks - the red and blue enamel ones that I am wearing today, and two pairs, copped at cheap prices from Saks Off Fifth - a pair set with micro-mosaic of onyx and mother of pearl in a checkerboard pattern, and a rather jokey (and transgressive) pair - a pair of scissors just about to slice through a necktie. I expect that I will get more use out of the former than the latter, but the latter were so cheap that it makes little difference.

Suit - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - red/blue enamel - Deakin & Francis
Cufflinks - micromosaic - Saks Fifth Avenue house brand
Cufflinks - tie & scissors - Robert Graham
Pocket square - Ede & Ravenscroft
Shoes - Bergdorf Goodman house brand
Face mask - New & Lingwood

IMG_4605.JPG

IMG_4600.JPG
IMG_4601.JPG
IMG_4602.JPG
IMG_4603.JPG
IMG_4604.JPG

LuxLemon

Reaction score
Hi all - given the respect I have for the knowledge in this thread I would love some feedback on this MTM Sportcoat I recently had commissioned from a large Canadian men’s luxury retailer. The rep definitely rushed through the process and had a pretty arrogant attitude through it all, even skipping the try on appointment even though we had scheduled a time.

I feel like this is my worst fitting jacket but I still lack confidence on exactly how my body should fit into these garments or how particular i should Be in my expectation. I feel it is very tight through the back, the shoulder seems to be too straight and maybe large, but then the armholes are super awkward where the entire jacket pulls up if I reach up at all, but is also extremely tight through the upper arm if I reach forward. I felt like I was going to bust through it when driving. The chest seems to also be a bit off.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated and also what level of adjustment/reconciliation should I expect if this is indeed a poor fitting jacket.

thanks!
1F35FF2B-4230-4378-9E09-2311F22309A6.jpeg

F4B520C9-C72C-45A4-A1C1-900BC21C6B52.jpeg
757701F7-AB94-4DBC-81DD-14C32A655442.jpeg EA9BD6B1-5261-4931-B7BE-13CA8B2E6244.jpeg
25DBC0ED-764A-4931-92BD-BF67758E69CA.jpeg

Attachments

• 1565A886-7690-468B-8065-1F424E0EC9F0.jpeg
    1565A886-7690-468B-8065-1F424E0EC9F0.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Stylewords

Reaction score
Hi all - given the respect I have for the knowledge in this thread I would love some feedback on this MTM Sportcoat I recently had commissioned from a large Canadian men’s luxury retailer. The rep definitely rushed through the process and had a pretty arrogant attitude through it all, even skipping the try on appointment even though we had scheduled a time.

I feel like this is my worst fitting jacket but I still lack confidence on exactly how my body should fit into these garments or how particular i should Be in my expectation. I feel it is very tight through the back, the shoulder seems to be too straight and maybe large, but then the armholes are super awkward where the entire jacket pulls up if I reach up at all, but is also extremely tight through the upper arm if I reach forward. I felt like I was going to bust through it when driving. The chest seems to also be a bit off.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated and also what level of adjustment/reconciliation should I expect if this is indeed a poor fitting jacket.

thanks!
View attachment 1484864

View attachment 1484852
I think part of the problem is that the buttonhole is far too high and the jacket is too short.

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Contrasts. Contrary to appearances, the trousers are navy, not black.

Threads cited:

Items purchased new: Brooks brothers linen suit jacket and wool trousers; shirt from Landry's in Oxford; Pantherella socks.

Items purchased pre-owned from eBay, thrift, & consignment: Brooks Brothers tie; tie bar; Trafalgar braces; Aldens.

Antique linen pocket square from a friend.

Fedora: Goorin Brothers, Charleston.

Timex Weekender watch with Smart Turnout watch band.

Glasses and sunglasses: Warby Parker

Glasses and sunglasses: Warby Parker.

#VintageStyleNotVintageValues #stylishacademic #professorstyle #fashionintheclassroom #BlackLivesMatter

20201026_113720.jpg 20201026_113802.jpg

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's outfit: Contrasts. Contrary to appearances, the trousers are navy, not black.

Threads cited:

Items purchased new: Brooks brothers linen suit jacket and wool trousers; shirt from Landry's in Oxford; Pantherella socks.

Items purchased pre-owned from eBay, thrift, & consignment: Brooks Brothers tie; tie bar; Trafalgar braces; Aldens.

Antique linen pocket square from a friend.

Fedora: Goorin Brothers, Charleston.

Glasses and sunglasses: Warby Parker

Glasses and sunglasses: Warby Parker.

#VintageStyleNotVintageValues #stylishacademic #professorstyle #fashionintheclassroom #BlackLivesMatter

View attachment 1485084 View attachment 1485085
I like the contrast and the pants. Are the loafers black? I think a dark brown or burgundy loafers would have worked better.

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
I like the contrast and the pants. Are the loafers black? I think a dark brown or burgundy loafers would have worked better.

Many thanks! Yes, they're black Alden tassels. I debated wearing my oxblood pair, but then opted for these. Over half of my shoes are black, but I find I hardly wear them anymore. The brown, oxblood, and tan ones seem more versatile.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
I really detest big face watches. It screams tacky nouveau riche to have a huge Breitling on your arm. My opinion ofc and if you like big watches, don't mind me.

Nouveau riche? I would say nouveau 40+ middle management. My stereotype of the Breitling wearers are that they're men who's career peaked in some kind of low-grade management, they make decent money, but secretly wish they'd have stayed in the navy. (Nothing specific against Breitling owners, I have stereotypes of most people, I'm very judgmental). The truly nouveau riche buy Rolexes, Cartiers or Royal Oaks. If they are gauche nouveau riche, they get them pimped with low grade diamonds.

thanks!
View attachment 1484864

View attachment 1484852

It's very tight around the neck and back. I've gotten those creases on some of my bespoke jackets after I started going to the gym and bulked up a bit, and my tailor has suggested we make some adjustments to fix it. If your jacket is well made, you should have enough spare cloth to have it taken out a bit, which should help with the fit. But I also agree the buttoning seem a bit high, which is sadly hard to do much about.

It's quite a nice fabric, though. A good alterations tailor should be able to let you know if it can be taken out. I think there's a lesson in this: if the person taking your order for a MtM or bespoke garment isn't giving you their full attention, walk away.

Vintage tweed suit. Yes the pockets are large. Great for holding all of your comments about them. :bigstar: I’ll probably lengthen the sleeves some more.

View attachment 1485032
View attachment 1485030
View attachment 1485031
View attachment 1485033

View attachment 1485034

Then allow me to put a compliment about the jacket in those pockets. They are sizable, but it seems it's intended to be more of a durable sports coat for a brisk walk around your manor, not a sleek power suit for the board meeting.

Last edited:

loarbmhs

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads