• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

khughes44

Reaction score
IMG_3322.jpeg
IMG_3323.jpeg

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice to see you back, Acridsheep - looking well and happy.

Today is Day 3 of the progression of double-breasted suits in my closet. Today's suit is an eight-year old Martin Greenfield-made Brooks Brothers MTM commission, cut to the standards for Brooks' Madison model (i.e. full cut), which was recently altered by my alterations tailor, who took the jacket in at least an inch at the back center seam, and who tapered the trousers from a 9" diameter at the cuff to 8". I had had the jacket let out at the sides about a year ago, during an upsurge of weight, which has taken some of the shape of the jacket out, to its detriment, I think.

It is interesting (at least to me) to compare and contrast today's suit with yesterday's RTW suit from Paul Stuart. The fabric from which today's suit was made is superior to the Stuart's suit (a super 140's for today's suit, vs, a super 110 or 120 for yesterday's), but the cut of the Stuart suit is more flattering to my current shape. We shall see what happens going forward.

I opted for cordovan colored shoes with today's suit, instead of black, in the spirit of experimentation.

Suit & shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece
Cufflinks - Burberry
Braces - Lewin
Pocket square - Polo Ralph Lauren
Shoes - Crockett & Jones, model Weybridge
Face mask - New & Lingwood

IMG_4536.JPG

IMG_4530.JPG
IMG_4531.JPG
IMG_4532.JPG
IMG_4533.JPG
IMG_4534.JPG

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice to see you back, Acridsheep - looking well and happy.

Today is Day 3 of the progression of double-breasted suits in my closet. Today's suit is an eight-year old Martin Greenfield-made Brooks Brothers MTM commission, cut to the standards for Brooks' Madison model (i.e. full cut), which was recently altered by my alterations tailor, who took the jacket in at least an inch at the back center seam, and who tapered the trousers from a 9" diameter at the cuff to 8". I had had the jacket let out at the sides about a year ago, during an upsurge of weight, which has taken some of the shape of the jacket out, to its detriment, I think.

It is interesting (at least to me) to compare and contrast today's suit with yesterday's RTW suit from Paul Stuart. The fabric from which today's suit was made is superior to the Stuart's suit (a super 140's for today's suit, vs, a super 110 or 120 for yesterday's), but the cut of the Stuart suit is more flattering to my current shape. We shall see what happens going forward.

I opted for cordovan colored shoes with today's suit, instead of black, in the spirit of experimentation.

Suit & shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece
Cufflinks - Burberry
Braces - Lewin
Pocket square - Polo Ralph Lauren
Shoes - Crockett & Jones, model Weybridge
Face mask - New & Lingwood

View attachment 1472270

Crusty, you have numerous well fitting and flattering suits. Unfortunately, this is not one of them IMO. Even after alterations, it still appears to be longing for a heftier gentleman. Maybe even one with a goatee. Unless you have some sentimental attachment to this suit, I would recommend letting it go to make room for something new in you ever expanding closet.

cr2596

Reaction score
Crusty, you have numerous well fitting and flattering suits. Unfortunately, this is not one of them IMO. Even after alterations, it still appears to be longing for a heftier gentleman. Maybe even one with a goatee. Unless you have some sentimental attachment to this suit, I would recommend letting it go to make room for something new in you ever expanding closet.
Seconded

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

donny5

Reaction score
Weekly outing for a suit in my new world of seperates. Not had this on in a while and with losing a bit of weight I'm thinking I'm needing some adjustments, thoughts?

20201006_213448.jpg

20201006_212625.jpg

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for your honest opinions, gentlemen. After wearing yesterday's solid navy suit from Stuart's, this one today was a lot less fitted, even with the surgery performed on it by my alterations tailor. I suspect that the same will be true for today's suit's brother, a mid-blue glen plaid I had made some 10 years ago (currently, I plan on wearing it Thursday - you gents can voice your opinions at that time).

I suspect that the two suits will become prize finds among the goods at Housing Works at some point in the near future.

Please note that the heftier gentleman with the goatee will not be making a return appearance, barring some cataclysmic event.

As for my ever-expanding closet, I made the mistake yesterday of visiting Paul Stuart, and I tried on a few things, all of which fit me annoyingly well. Now to see if any of them remain there long enough to be marked down in my size - URL's attached for reference.

https://www.paulstuart.com/phineas-cole/tailored-clothing/suits/86070256-4732.html

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
A virtual baby shower called for the perfect occasion to pair my BB Pink University Stripe OCBD with a vintage 3/2 sack from Jos. A. Bank that I recently purchased from WaterHollowTweed.

View attachment 1472423
View attachment 1472424
View attachment 1472425

The jacket looks great.

Vintage Jos A Bank is the most frustrating thing to browse for on eBay. For some reason sellers list them for $100+ on the regular, whereas most of my vtg Brooks Brothers sport coats were $40-$60. There's a nearly identical JAB jacket to the one you're wearing that's currently listed for $140. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it was half of that price. SMH.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your honest opinions, gentlemen. After wearing yesterday's solid navy suit from Stuart's, this one today was a lot less fitted, even with the surgery performed on it by my alterations tailor. I suspect that the same will be true for today's suit's brother, a mid-blue glen plaid I had made some 10 years ago (currently, I plan on wearing it Thursday - you gents can voice your opinions at that time).

I suspect that the two suits will become prize finds among the goods at Housing Works at some point in the near future.

Please note that the heftier gentleman with the goatee will not be making a return appearance, barring some cataclysmic event.

As for my ever-expanding closet, I made the mistake yesterday of visiting Paul Stuart, and I tried on a few things, all of which fit me annoyingly well. Now to see if any of them remain there long enough to be marked down in my size - URL's attached for reference.

https://www.paulstuart.com/phineas-cole/tailored-clothing/suits/86070256-4732.html

My word, that tartan double breasted jacket with the gold buttons! :drool:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads