• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hope they repaired the bulletholes and chandelier since Clive Owen went through there!
(I know they filmed that on a set not the real place!)

Your hopes are fulfilled - no sign of bullet holes that I could see - only arrows on the floor indicating the direction in which traffic should flow, and no available water fountains.

thsnyc

Reaction score
IMG_6095.jpeg

megadork2000

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Serious question, whats my next move?

When I first got here 7 months ago, my idea of menswear was my colorful Bugatchi and Robert Graham “dress” shirt collection with equally loud ties and socks, lots of jewelry, and no haircut.

The first thing I learned here was;

Way to much colors and patterns together. The next thing was most of my jackets needed tailoring. Next I bought some solid ties and light colored solid shirts. Then I upgraded to some nicer shoes. Then I learned how to tailor all my pants. Then I recently upgraded half of my pants to nicer fabrics. I recently bought better squares. Asap I plan to buy some medium textured mellower ties.

Now I ask all who care to reply, whats my next move? What am I still doing wrong? What improvements would you like to see from me?

Keep in mind I don’t wear coat and tie for professional reasons. I do it for fun and for sex appeal.

I cannot be offended. Thanks

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

When I first got here 7 months ago, my idea of menswear was my colorful Bugatchi and Robert Graham “dress” shirt collection with equally loud ties and socks, lots of jewelry, and no haircut.

Way to much colors and patterns together. The next thing was most of my jackets needed tailoring. Next I bought some solid ties and light colored solid shirts. Then I upgraded to some nicer shoes. Then I learned how to tailor all my pants. Then I recently upgraded half of my pants to nicer fabrics. I recently bought better squares. Asap I plan to buy some medium textured mellower ties.

Now I ask all who care to reply, whats my next move? What am I still doing wrong? What improvements would you like to see from me?

Keep in mind I don’t wear coat and tie for professional reasons. I do it for fun and for sex appeal.

Do less Kunu - THE LESS YOU DO, THE MORE YOU DO DO LESS Misc

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Worry less about the patterns and colors (while having fewer of them, of course) and focus on fit and cut. You now have a lot of clothes, but what percentage of them fit you well and have a cut which flatters your physique? Pick some people who exemplify what you like in tailored clothing, then compare yourself honestly with them.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@megadork2000 Real talk, many, if not most of your clothes appear to be shapeless and ill-fitting. Jackets especially. Could just be the photos, but that is my impression. I would suggest investing in fewer, better pieces that don't require a huge amount of tailoring out of the box. There's no need to swoop up every piece of tailored clothing you find at the local thrift shop.

I have gotten rid of 80-90% of the tailored clothing I bought since getting into menswear. What remains fits great and are legitimately great pieces that will be in my wardrobe for years to come. If you want to take things to the next level, the question you should be asking yourself is, what clothes do I own that I will want to wear / will still look good five years from now?

Last edited:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather, after a period of clouds and rain this morning, has brightened up and cooled down, making the wearing of fall-weight clothing a possibility.

With the recent alterations to two of my double-breasted suits, it occurred to me to find out exactly how many of them I own. As it turns out, I own no less than six double-breasted suits, and, as the weather would seem to permit over the next week, I have decided to wear them all in succession, starting with today's suit.

Suit & face mask - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Drake's, via the Armoury, NYC
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis
Braces - Brooks Brothers
Pocket square - vintage no name brand
Boots - Cheaney

IMG_4518.JPG

IMG_4513.JPG
IMG_4514.JPG
IMG_4515.JPG
IMG_4516.JPG
IMG_4517.JPG

loarbmhs

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

If I could boil my advice down to one word, it would be this: understatement. Most of your earlier outfits were the opposite of that: loud plaids, textured shirts, non-traditional shoe colors, etc. Google the Italian executive Matteo Marzotto and look at how he dresses—one of the best-dressed men in the world. He wears impeccably tailored clothing in very muted, primarily monochromatic tones. Perhaps you won't want to swing all the way over to his style, but he looks sexy as heck dressing the way he does.

In parallel fashion, I think you may have thought that the desired reaction to your outfits should be, "Hey look at the [article of clothing} on that guy." The more sophisticated approach is to consider that the exactly wrong thing to do. Your clothing shouldn't call too much attention to itself. So channel Marzotto, tone everything down, simplify, and make sure your clothing fits nicely; you'll be well on your way. Good luck and thanks for being so open-minded to critiques—very impressive!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads