• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've just stopped caring about it. The rise on my trousers has gotten higher and higher to the point that its at now (above the navel in most cases). I either wear the tie below the waist line and have it sit where it would if I was in a standard rise trousers, or I have the back blade go halfway to my knees and tuck it in. I've started going towards the latter.

View attachment 1467615

One solution I've employed is combining a tie knot like the Old Bertie, which takes up more length, with wearing a waistcoat and getting an arch in the tie. That should correct all but the most danglesome of ties, and besides, that way you get to wear the full suit.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not the violent type. But for those of you who are and don't like the longer back blade, there's always the blunt cut method.

It's exactly what it sounds like.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
50398201233_f3bcdbe44b_c.jpg

50398892971_8f87e4e72f_c.jpg

50398202073_4f22a372ef_b.jpg

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's simply not true. Regardless of the rise of the trousers, if one made the front blade longer and the back blade shorter—so that the blades were the same length—the tie would wind up hitting higher up (meaning, shorter) on the wearer's body.

That’s exactly the opposite of how tie geometry works. If you make the back blade shorter, the front blade will be longer (lower on the wearer's body, not higher)

I like this jacket a lot. I'm currently on the hunt for wool ties. Where is this one from? I hope you're wearing pants.

This is almoast a haiku

loarbmhs

Reaction score
That’s exactly the opposite of how tie geometry works. If you make the back blade shorter, the front blade will be longer (lower on the wearer's body, not higher)

This is almoast a haiku
I promise this will be my last post on this. Go back to my original comment. I'm simply saying that if the wearer made BOTH blades the same length (meaning, NEITHER blade is longer than the other), the lowest-hanging point of the tie would wind up being higher up the body than it does when EITHER blade is longer than the other. In turn, the eye would be less likely to be drawn to the crotch, since the tie would now finish higher on the torso.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Three pages of adult men bickering about tie lengths... GTFO

Sometimes, I am wont to drape my long neckties about the shoulders like a shawl, and twirl the excess length.

Am I Spretzing rightly?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads