• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cottons.

BA3C0399-50F6-4CB7-9D4D-F71AE1F4E45D.jpeg

E142E4CF-8C8D-4849-8F54-C0262F032A3F.jpeg

48FEDB63-2ADC-4D79-A9B8-0D38ED0C4407.jpeg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should post more often Clags, you used to be a daily poster!
I’ve said this before but it bears repeating, stuffing your hands in your pockets is not only an awful way to present your threads for the day, but it surely does no favours for the construction of the jacket either, being pulled and stretched hither and yon? Yeah yeah we’re supposed to enjoy wearing our clothes and not baby them and treat them with kid gloves but I don’t think your tailor would recommend this!

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking of staying in Dubai for a while after this pandemic ends. How much do suits there usually cost?
@EddieK

Honestly I wouldn’t know. I haven’t “bought” a suit in as long as I can remember.

I do all my own leg work (including drafting the pattern with assistance from my tailors) and then just let them cut and sew when I’m happy with the pattern.

I micromanage the entire process so my costs are very different from the average bespoke commissioner.

Alan Bee

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@EddieK

Honestly I wouldn’t know. I haven’t “bought” a suit in as long as I can remember.

I do all my own leg work (including drafting the pattern with assistance from my tailors) and then just let them cut and sew when I’m happy with the pattern.

I micromanage the entire process so my costs are very different from the average bespoke commissioner.

Alan Bee

I assume they charge you more for the pleasure...

I know I would if a customer of mine wanted that level of control and input.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Suited for the rat race.

adsk%2Bsuited%2Bsept%2B2020%2B6.jpg

Rejoined the rat face just for today in a suit du jour aka nothing fancy

adsk%2Bsuited%2Bsept%2B2020%2B5.jpg

adsk%2Bsuited%2Bsept%2B2020%2B2.jpg

adsk%2Bsuited%2Bsept%2B2020%2B3.jpg

adsk%2Bsuited%2Bsept%2B2020%2B1.jpg

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC continues to be sunny and seasonal, with low humidity, making suit-wearing a plausible activity, The weather is getting warmer, though, so I have taken the opportunity to wear something summery, in a color combo that makes me happy (or makes me a patriot in Sweden - whichever . . .)

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Trywhitt
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Budd, London
Braces - Fine & Dandy, NYC
Pocket square - allegedly Daniel Cremieux - obtained via Taobao, China.
Shoes - Crockett & Jones Maltons
Face mask - New & Lingwood

View attachment 1463963

Great suit

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, Illustrate!

Just to pick two examples from back to back posts from earlier today, take a look at @upr_crust (who I'm pretty sure tied a half windsor, but please correct me if I'm wrong) vs. @An Acute Style . I think the former knot looks better than the latter. A little thicker/bigger knot is a winner in my book.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A touch longer jacket and a lower buttoning point would be more flattering on you. The current buttoning point is a couple inches above your natural waist, which has the effect of widening the midsection. You look pretty fit and trim, so having a buttoning point slightly below your natural waist allows the jacket to narrow and create a nice V shape from the chest and shoulders.
[/QUOTE
A touch longer jacket and a lower buttoning point would be more flattering on you. The current buttoning point is a couple inches above your natural waist, which has the effect of widening the midsection. You look pretty fit and trim, so having a buttoning point slightly below your natural waist allows the jacket to narrow and create a nice V shape from the chest and shoulders.
I ordered (OTR) a 42L Canali sport coat to see how it looks/fits. At 6' I've always bought 42R. We'll see.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to pick two examples from back to back posts from earlier today, take a look at @upr_crust (who I'm pretty sure tied a half windsor, but please correct me if I'm wrong) vs. @An Acute Style . I think the former knot looks better than the latter. A little thicker/bigger knot is a winner in my book.

@mak1277 , your observation is correct, insofar as today is concerned - today's tie knot is a half Windsor, though I often use a double FIH, and have, in rare instances, tied a full Windsor (in the case where a particular tie is too long, otherwise).

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics