• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Blue & Tan, variations.

Threads cited:

Items purchased new: Grady Ervin DB jacket; Brooks Brothers shirt; Goldtoe socks.

Items purchased pre-owned from eBay, thrift, & consignment: Zanella trousers; Baldessarini tie; Trafalgar braces; Aldens; tie bar.

Antique linen pocket square from a friend.

Fedora: Goorin Brothers in Charleston

Timex Weekender watch with Smart Turnout watch band.

Glasses and sunglasses: Warby Parker.

#VintageStyleNotVintageValues #stylishacademic #professorstyle #fashionintheclassroom #BlackLivesMatter

IMG_20200917_121555_760.jpg 20200917_115412.jpg

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today has been a casual day for me, doing chores around the house, one of which was a review of my suit collection, and my tie collection, with an eye for "de-accessioning" items which no longer fit the bill, as storage space in a Manhattan apartment is always at a premium. So, soon to be available for sale at a charity shop near you (assuming that you live in the metro NYC area), here's what I will no longer be wearing today, or any other day.

The blue suit is a JAB Signature Platinum suit, bought as a "crime of opportunity" (marked down by about 90% of its original retail price). It took some tailoring, both by JAB and my own alterations tailor to make it work, but somehow, I never really warmed to the suit thereafter, which is something of a shame, as the fabric is actually quite nice.

The black stripe suit is a Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Regent model suit, which I found at deep discount at the Brooks branch in Boston, when I was there on vacation some 12-15 years ago. It was Italian-made, and when I was heftier, it fit better, but after attempts to have it altered to fit the somewhat smaller me, it never really worked. I last wore it to a wedding last summer, and had not reached for it since.

The greyish-brown (brownish-grey?) suit is a Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald model, purchased some 11 years ago, in a maelstrom of retail therapy immediately following the death of my first husband - one of three suits purchased from Brooks Brothers within a week (I still have the other two, which fit better than this one).

The ties are, from left to right, Damiano Presta; Salvatore Ferragamo; Hermes; Paul Stuart; Burberry; Brooks Brothers 346; Brooks Brothers; De l'sle; Daniel de Fasson; Chinese-made "Hermes"; and Tucci. Some were purchases, others presents - and my apologies to any donors of these ties to me, in advance. Neckties are a very tricky thing to purchase for someone else.

We here define ourselves by what we wear. This afternoon, I am defining myself by what I no longer wish to wear.

IMG_4444.JPG
IMG_4445.JPG
IMG_4446.JPG
IMG_4447.JPG

megadork2000

Reaction score
Been feeling nostalgic for the other half of my closet. You know,... the half (cough cough 80%) that becomes obsolete after spending some time on SF.

Today I take a step backwards in my menswear journey.

Today I ride with the 4 horsemen of CM: Shiny, Matchy, Douchey, and Fun.
sfs1.PNG
sfs2 (1).JPG
sfs2 (2).JPG

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Pepsi socks are bold on this forum.

Blackpalms

Reaction score
Been feeling nostalgic for the other half of my closet. You know,... the half (cough cough 80%) that becomes obsolete after spending some time on SF.

Today I take a step backwards in my menswear journey.

Today I ride with the 4 horsemen of CM: Shiny, Matchy, Douchey, and Fun.
View attachment 1460490 View attachment 1460491 View attachment 1460492
As a silent peeper of this thread, I am even starting to think. Looks great, super sleek combination. Less pressure has really become more pronounced. Looks good on you. Burn those socks, you had your fun. :cool:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads