• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
50345440002_d72fbfab37_c.jpg

50344596323_da9a82ae34_c.jpg

50344690708_348acd3e4c_b.jpg

This is a challenging combination that misses the mark for me. I applaud the effort though.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They can be patched.

I hope so.

That's awfully tonal @An Acute Style . I like it, but I find myself longing for a splash of navy/green/burgundy in the form of a knit tie or v neck sweater. The fruit compote on top of the oatmeal, if you will.

I agree it is very tonal. Not necessarily in a good way here. It matches my mood the last few days. The right colored tie would have helped a lot.

leadbelly2550

Reaction score
Paying homage to my family's affinity for the Pittsburgh Steelers today (i'm the lone Patriots fan in the house, my wife grew up in Pittsburgh). Black 3 button/collar cashmere sweater, yellow/gold 3 button golf shirt from Oakmont Country Club, Patagonia lightweight hemp/cotton shorts, York River Traders webbing/ribbon belt.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tweed and flannels. First of the season for me.

View attachment 1459189
Love that jacket. Is it as heavy as it looks? I'd like something like that for casual (read: non-court) days, but it's difficult to justify when my climate would probably allow for half a dozen wearings per year if it is as heavy as I think it is. I really like the triple patch pockets and the cloth itself, though.

loarbmhs

Reaction score
I hope so.

I agree it is very tonal. Not necessarily in a good way here. It matches my mood the last few days. The right colored tie would have helped a lot.

I know from personal experience the disappointing results of patching pants such as these. You'll wind up with a 3" x 3" square of fabric (since the seamstress/tailor will have to go way beyond the hole to get a solid seam) and it'll look terrible—like you plastered a 3" square on your thighs. Just say sayonara to these trousers and go buy another pair. If you doubt me, have the repair place show you the results on someone else's pants, and you'll see what I mean before wasting your money.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If they are cuffed, have the cuff removed and see if they can use the cloth to re-weave (French-American $$$) or possibly patch them they way they do with denim, where there are zig-zag stitches of the same color and a matching patch on the inside. The advantage you will (potentially) have is to use the cloth from the cuff to match to the pants.

I have had this done by my local tailor/seamstress with decent results, especially if it is on the inner thigh, you will barley if at all notice it when they are worn.

-DL

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know from personal experience the disappointing results of patching pants such as these. You'll wind up with a 3" x 3" square of fabric (since the seamstress/tailor will have to go way beyond the hole to get a solid seam) and it'll look terrible—like you plastered a 3" square on your thighs. Just say sayonara to these trousers and go buy another pair. If you doubt me, have the repair place show you the results on someone else's pants, and you'll see what I mean before wasting your money.

A good invisible mender should be able to patch them up. Only problem is it's very difficult to find one.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather has remained dry and relatively cool here in NYC. Today's ensemble was concocted with my two usual elements - whim and caprice. Today's shirt has been sitting in my shirt closet, unworn, for a very long time, and today's suit was next in rotation. I opted for a very monochromatic look for today, thinking that the rather vivid striping of today's shirt would be the statement maker for today's look, as much as I generally find little favor with monochrome outfits in general - the exception proves the rule.

Suit - Ede & Ravenscroft, London
Shirt - Polo Ralph Lauren
Tie - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - Benson & Clegg, London
Braces - Lewin
Pocket square - vintage no name brand
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Face mask - New & Lingwood

IMG_4441.JPG

IMG_4435.JPG
IMG_4437.JPG
IMG_4438.JPG
IMG_4439.JPG
IMG_4440.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads