• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some eight days ago, my normal morning exercise routine was disrupted by the breaking of one of the pedals of my stationary bike (yes, I know, a first-world problem). Awaiting a suitable replacement set of pedals, for morning aerobic stimulation, I have been walking the streets of Manhattan, which has up until recently, been an interesting study in urban planning.

Today, however, it was a depressing sight. I took one of my more usual routes, northwards from Murray Hill up either Fifth or Madison Avenues to the Upper East Side. What I saw was a growing sea of plywood covers for plate glass windows, either as proactive protection, or as reaction to having been looted. I can understand righteous anger in the face of injustice, but using that as an excuse to loot Chanel discredits the just cause of the anger, and plays into the hate of those who hate and would discredit you.

End of lecture.

With my wardrobe, I try to make a conscious effort to cycle through everything that I own - certainly my shirt collection. One end of my rack of shirts are those that haven't been worn in a long time, usually because they take some creative effort to coordinate with an outfit. Today's shirt is one of those.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Hilditch & Key
Tie - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
Braces - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson
Shoes - Alden

View attachment 1399369

Very nice. I have a very similar shirt, although the collar and cuffs are not white, and it has a slightly more purple hue. I have a very difficult time pairing it with anything and rarely wear it. This looks from you is a good example of how to wear it.

Roy Al

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with your frustration, Crusty. Saw the same in Colombia in December. Always some hooligans that will use the opportunity to vandalize.

Today jacket and shirt from Whitcomb & Shaftesbury, trousers from Harvie & Hudson - shoes are Loake....

P1010011.JPG
P1010031.JPG
P1010024.JPG
P1010007.JPG
P1010006.JPG

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love your fit pictures and think you put together some great combinations. You also have a personal style that you make work really well. I think you are quite tall from memory, so my only criticism (not that you asked or need my opinion) is that I wish your jackets were an inch or 2 longer and the button position were lower. Thanks for sharing!

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Normally, I would like to think of myself as a sane, rational being. With the state of the weather today in NYC (threatening rain, even as I write), the state of the city (still in lockdown, though it seems that private construction is moving forward), and the state of the nation's psyche (in turmoil), there is no earthly reason for me to dressed at all, other than to obey the local decency laws, and as protection from Mother Nature.

However, the heart wants what it wants, and today, I wanted to wear an outfit that made me happy. Will it be seen by anyone, outside of my immediate household and the readers of this forum? Most likely no. Do I care? Not a whit.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Charvet, via Bergdorf Goodman
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis, via New & Lingwood
Braces - Albert Thurston, via New & Lingwood
Pocket square - Robert Talbott (close up of overall pattern included)
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand

IMG_4090.JPG

IMG_4084.JPG
IMG_4085.JPG
IMG_4086.JPG
IMG_4088.JPG
IMG_4089.JPG

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tselang

Reaction score
PSX_20200501_160828.jpg

Jacket
Fabric: Carlo Barbera 235 gr. / 7.5 oz 52% wool, 38% silk, 10% linen
Style: 2 buttons, wide notch lapel with milanese button whole (handmade)

Pants
Fabric: Hesworth 270 g/m stretch cotton 97% cotton, 3% elastane
Style: No loops with elastic strap and buttons adj., bottom finishing with cuffs.

Shirt
Fabric: 100% cotton

Shoes: Adidas Sneakers

Tailor made by Rooks & Rocks

Roy Al

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does it differ from his work on your English Cut suits?

Tom has made many outfits for me, and they are all like second skin. The fit is superb.
When I put them on, its like they just cooperate with my body, and they make me look more flattering than I do in real life. Like elegance with an ease.
And they are all full of details, like pattern matching, hand stitching, but first of all is the fit - he just gets it spot on.

This suit, from the early Redmayne periode, it's like it's not made for me.
It feels awkward and the details are rather under his level. Almost no handwork, and the feel is like rtw, and not so very proper done.
I had it returned, and altered - something that happend to no other suit I have from him - but still it's not what i supposed.
Well, even a genious can have a bad day, and I have still admiration for his work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads