• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What? I don't think that's a great analogy. I like Coldplay and although their music is quite simple structurally, the way the present it gives them a very unique sound.
And I'm a person who prefers the Beatles, Stevie Wonder, the Eagles, Elvis Presley, Nat King Cole, Elton John, Prince, Queen, Louis Armstrong, Chopin, Mozart, Beethoven, Bach...over most music these days just to name just a few.

I think maybe a correct comparison would be more to like Kesha or something.

There's a fair bit of musical kitsch in that list so your taste is a bit suspect too.

Coldplay are irredeemably awful. Music for dentists, accountants and thirty-somethings with early onset middle-age and a wardrobe full of non-iron chinos.

megadork2000

Reaction score
Its ok if you wanna wear your hobo halloween costume tie, i want hold it against you

EddieK

Reaction score
There's a fair bit of musical kitsch in that list so your taste is a bit suspect too.

Coldplay are irredeemably awful. Music for dentists, accountants and thirty-somethings with early onset middle-age and a wardrobe full of non-iron chinos.
Please do enlighten me in your superior tastes!

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Im the last person on earth to play the “im in the majority, so i must be right” card but,.. here goes

the entire world wears, sells, and buys colorful standard size silk ties.

so are all the ties in the world made just for me?
The majority of the world eats at applebees-esque restaurants (you get what I'm saying). You're telling me that per se or french laundry or whatever aren't better?

You're making a fallacious appeal to the majority. As i said we all like what we like and that is fine. Your outfits have too much stuff going on. It's ok to have a lot even if its not my style. If youre going to do so you need ro have a better understanding of color coordination maybe trim something back. In fsct for men it's a good idea to compose an outfit then either not utilize something or just scale it back. You'll never make an outfit worse by doing so.

EddieK

Reaction score
We like what we like. Bay city rollers is a better example. There's nothing redemptive about them nor anything noteworthy. They just exist in a state and that's about it.

Not to toot my own horn but it's different from wearing a french blue shirt and solid navy tie. Thats a uniformly good look and you can have quality elements that make it vibrant as opposed to a bunch of synths and a vocal that's everything and nothing.
Maybe we're thinking of different eras?
I'm thinking more about their early 2000s stuff, not their recent releases.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The quality of debate in this joint has really taken a turn for the worse.

Tie fabrics are personal. It's a completely non-functional accessory, so to try to make some objective statement about them is silly. You can't prove to him that his ties are ugly. You could say that the colors don't correspond with or compliment the other items he's wearing, that the scale of the pattern clashes, or the width/length aren't proportional, but that's about as far as it goes.

Also, let's just stop with this dumb discussion about whose favorite music is cooler or better.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tie fabrics are personal. It's a completely non-functional accessory, so to try to make some objective statement about them is silly. You can't prove to him that his ties are ugly. You could say that the colors don't correspond with or compliment the other items he's wearing, that the scale of the pattern clashes, or the width/length aren't proportional, but that's about as far as it goes.

Also, let's just stop with this dumb discussion about whose favorite music is cooler or better.

I, for one, am enjoying the virtue signaling and cattiness of it all.

EddieK

Reaction score

You're right. This isn't the right thread for it.
Although now I'm quite curious as to @Blake Stitched Blues 's tastes. If he wants to PM me in private that's cool.

megadork2000

Reaction score
The majority of the world eats at applebees-esque restaurants (you get what I'm saying). You're telling me that per se or french laundry or whatever aren't better?

You're making a fallacious appeal to the majority. As i said we all like what we like and that is fine. Your outfits have too much stuff going on. It's ok to have a lot even if its not my style. If youre going to do so you need ro have a better understanding of color coordination maybe trim something back. In fsct for men it's a good idea to compose an outfit then either not utilize something or just scale it back. You'll never make an outfit worse by doing so.

i do get what you’re saying and agree, but we’re talking about high quality ties, not tshirts.

its ok if i wear colorful clothes, im not Amish and i’m from southern california

t

Kwehling

Reaction score
Freundliche Grüße
WtiH_2020_05_28.jpg

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is nobody more insufferable than he who is an “expert” in music.

jiredell

Reaction score

I don’t really care about the tie discussion; I would just like to point out that the majority of the world does not eat at restaurants at all. Of the 8 billion + of us, most can not afford to eat at restaurants, or have arguments about tie or music taste. Sometimes I think it’s good for us to remember that, and count our blessings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads