• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

megadork2000

Reaction score
Says the guy who wears white jeans, has a custom purple jacket, and a 90s Mtv haircut.

megadork2000

Reaction score
Sorry but the official SF ties suck. I like real ties. Simply wearing things because they other 99% wear something else doesn't automatically put you in the top 1%.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bizarre weather indeed, when Atlanta, Georgia feels more like Canada. It’s been rare to hit 80 Fahrenheit this entire spring. By this date we’ve usually had a couple weeks in the 90s
Bro if i wanted to live in Seattle I'd've moved there.

megadork2000

Reaction score
I'm confused. Wouldn't this put you in the top 1%?

Of course not. Anyway, I wear the 99% type standard ties. The fact that the only Richels in this thread are mine makes me question the whole experience. There are some beautiful madders in this thread(others not so much) but those yarny things. Meh, laaammmeeee, and those intentionally beat up things,...You CAN'T be serious!!! Buying a pre-thrashed tie???? Give me $200 I'll thrash your ties for you.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Of course not. Anyway, I wear the 99% type standard ties. The fact that the only Richels in this thread are mine makes me question the whole experience. There are some beautiful madders in this thread(others not so much) but those yarny things. Meh, laaammmeeee, and those intentionally beat up things,...You CAN'T be serious!!! Buying a pre-thrashed tie???? Give me $200 I'll thrash your ties for you.
Wat.

Reactions: EFV

EddieK

Reaction score
Sorry I hardly post here, but just wanted to say I'm so confused...

jiredell

Reaction score
The weather in NYC is warming up, and becoming more humid, a fact that I learned the hard way yesterday, in attempting to take a long walk in the afternoon, dressed as I was for the photos posted yesterday. By my return home, I was a soggy, sweaty mess - not a pretty sight.

For today, I have taken my morning constitutional early, then returned home and gotten bedecked for the day - a much better solution. I might still venture out this afternoon, if necessary, though not for a hike.

Today's suit was something of an experiment when I bought it - an entirely unlined jacket, very lightweight and unstructured, made in Italy for Paul Stuart's Phineas Cole line (as opposed to most of the rest of the store's tailored clothes, which are made in Canada). I had to size up one size in order to get a jacket that would fit, but the tailoring is quite fine, and the suit feels as if it were made of gossamer - a somewhat unnerving sensation for someone much more used to highly structured tailoring.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt, tie, and braces - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - Penhaligon's
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson, London
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand

View attachment 1396140

This is completely unstructured? Nothing in the shoulder? Based on what I can tell from pics, you do have rather broad shoulders naturally, and this fits really well. It's definitely different than most of the other jackets that I've seen on you. Notably, the button stance is higher. I mean I know that it's different, b/c of being DB, but still, it's a bit high, but this looks very good on you. I like the lapel width too.
Well then,..This post is unique for me. It marks the completion of my menswear photo album project and the primary motivation for me to take pictures of myself all dolled up, and post them on the internet.

The good news is; from this point forward I can wear whatever I want and don't have any outside influences forcing my choices (time to see what I've really learned)

The bad news is; it's Summer and I don't wear much coat and tie in the Summer. Some, but not much.

Thanks to everyone who commented on my post and helped me see new ideas. I feel like the people who haven't seen me in the last 2-3 months are gonna notice a major improvement when the quarantine is over. I've preformed or payed for about 30 alterations in the last 2 months. I have also bought lot's of solids that I now appreciate were missing from my mix.

I commemorate this post with a new avatar. I'll be around and I'll be better dressed, thanks to you guys.
View attachment 1396277 View attachment 1396278 View attachment 1396279
Youve done a pretty good job. I especially applaud your e
Bro if i wanted to live in Seattle I'd've moved there.
been that way this whole year hasn’t it

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is completely unstructured? Nothing in the shoulder? Based on what I can tell from pics, you do have rather broad shoulders naturally, and this fits really well. It's definitely different than most of the other jackets that I've seen on you. Notably, the button stance is higher. I mean I know that it's different, b/c of being DB, but still, it's a bit high, but this looks very good on you. I like the lapel width too.

Trust me, there is nothing in the shoulder, and the only place where there is lining is the sleeves - there is a reason I used the word "gossamer" in describing the suit. The jacket is cut a bit shorter than my usual, even for Phineas Cole, which is cut a shade shorter than regular Paul Stuart line suits, which seems to suit me, as I'm only 5' 8". This may account for the higher button stance - that, and to accommodate the wide lapels. The lapels gave me leave to wear what I believe is my widest tie (a BB Golden Fleece from at least a decade ago, and even then it was wider than the standard of the day).

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry but the official SF ties suck. I like real ties. Simply wearing things because they other 99% wear something else doesn't automatically put you in the top 1%.

That's because you have really bad taste in ties.

Taste in ties is a bit like taste in music. Subjective to an extent but most people with a genuine interest and good taste are unlikely to spend their time listening to Coldplay's Greatest Hits.

EddieK

Reaction score
That's because you have really bad taste in ties.

Taste in ties is a bit like taste in music. Subjective to an extent but most people with a genuine interest and good taste are unlikely to spend their time listening to Coldplay's Greatest Hits.
What? I don't think that's a great analogy. I like Coldplay and although their music is quite simple structurally, the way the present it gives them a very unique sound.
And I'm a person who prefers the Beatles, Stevie Wonder, the Eagles, Elvis Presley, Nat King Cole, Elton John, Prince, Queen, Louis Armstrong, Chopin, Mozart, Beethoven, Bach...over most music these days just to name just a few.

I think maybe a correct comparison would be more to like Kesha or something.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What? I don't think that's a great analogy. I like Coldplay and although their music is quite simple structurally, the way the present it gives them a very unique sound.
And I'm a person who prefers the Beatles, Stevie Wonder, the Eagles, Elvis Presley, Nat King Cole, Elton John, Prince, Queen, Louis Armstrong, Chopin, Mozart, Beethoven, Bach...over most music these days just to name just a few.

I think maybe a correct comparison would be more to like Kesha or something.
We like what we like. Bay city rollers is a better example. There's nothing redemptive about them nor anything noteworthy. They just exist in a state and that's about it.

Not to toot my own horn but it's different from wearing a french blue shirt and solid navy tie. Thats a uniformly good look and you can have quality elements that make it vibrant as opposed to a bunch of synths and a vocal that's everything and nothing.

megadork2000

Reaction score
Im the last person on earth to play the “im in the majority, so i must be right” card but,.. here goes

the entire world wears, sells, and buys colorful standard size silk ties.

so are all the ties in the world made just for me?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads