• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
49742905787_178f0c3ac5_c.jpg

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
772D7B95-9209-489F-82B6-69E795F4599D.jpeg
D651CDCE-0A71-471F-AA7F-172923AB8DAE.jpeg
E5830A9F-991D-41F6-9517-4002A6AA02B5.jpeg
6EA5024E-A7CE-4B18-A0F3-8BEA1642AD06.jpeg

Last days of flannel.

Suit: Borrelli
Shirt: Attolini
Tie: Kiton
PS: Drake’s
Shoes: Lobb

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Self Isolation, Day 22. Since my birthday is this week, I have made this my week of birthday suits.

This custom shirt was first in my wardrobe, so I chose a tie from a week or two ago. I noticed that the combination resulted in stripes on stripes, so I balanced the potential clash with this khaki suit to create a neutral backdrop. The tassel loafers pick up on the pink/purple theme.

Today, we're covering an excerpt of Arlie Russell Hochschild's _Strangers in Their Own Land_. It's a great way to discuss the problematic politics of self-victimization. Unfortunately, that "woe is me" trope has grown far too prevalent, and shows no signs of diminishing.

Threads cited:
Suit: Brooks Brothers.

Custom shirt; linen pocket square: Grady Ervin, Charleston.
Socks of forgotten provenance.
Vintage items from eBay and thrift: Zelli tassel loafers, Trafalgar braces, Robert Talbott tie in a double four-in-hand, tie bar, cufflinks.
Warby Parker glasses.
Timex Weekender watch with Smart Turnout watchband.

#VintageStyleNotVintageValues #stylishacademic #professorstyle #fashionintheclassroom #WFHFashion #LockDownDressUp

20200406_122456.jpg 20200406_122230.jpg

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After yesterday's monchromatic offering, and in light of the fact that Easter is fast approaching, I chose today's attire with Easter (and the color scheme of Easter eggs) in mind. The weather continues to be sunny and pleasant in NYC - perfect for a well socially-distanced stroll.

As for the age of the separate pieces, today's braces and pocket square are relatively recent acquisitions, but today's suit is a decade old, I believe, and today's shoes, shirt, and cufflinks are older than that. Today's tie I can state definitely is 19 years old, as the year of its manufacture is printed on the silk. At my age, I've become my own vintage shop. ;)

Suit - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Thomas Pink
Cufflinks - Turnbull & Asser
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson, London
Shoes - Alden

IMG_3836.JPG

IMG_3831.JPG
IMG_3832.JPG
IMG_3834.JPG
IMG_3835.JPG

Camerashy

Reaction score
Roy Al you have an extensive range of lovely quality clothes
Any images of your complete wardrobe please to make us all envious

Reactions: psb

megadork2000

Reaction score
The coat looks awfully short.
Yep. It looks pretty good as long as I stand perfectly still, but as soon as I move it's too small. Another expensive lesson learned.

loarbmhs

Reaction score
Yep. It looks pretty good as long as I stand perfectly still, but as soon as I move it's too small. Another expensive lesson learned.

Hey, don't beat yourself up. To wit: I'm in the process of swapping my casual pants—in retrospect, the rise is too high on all of them. Something I wished I'd caught earlier. The trick, as has been pointed out many times, is to go slowly. Try a single outfit/item of clothing and really pay attention to what you like and don't like about it before buying your second item in the category. Takes longer, but avoids costly mistakes.

megadork2000

Reaction score
Hey, don't beat yourself up. To wit: I'm in the process of swapping my casual pants—in retrospect, the rise is too high on all of them. Something I wished I'd caught earlier. The trick, as has been pointed out many times, is to go slowly. Try a single outfit/item of clothing and really pay attention to what you like and don't like about it before buying your second item in the category. Takes longer, but avoids costly mistakes.
I bought it a couple years ago, when I was probably less muscular in the shoulders and back. It passes the thumb test, which fooled me into thinking it fit.

I go through phases of being heavier, being thinner, or lifting weights so my clothes are never going to fit perfectly.

As I stated before, posting on this board makes it real easy to what doesn't look right. That's a valuable tool. Thanks everyone.

loarbmhs

Reaction score
I bought it a couple years ago, when I was probably less muscular in the shoulders and back. It passes the thumb test, which fooled me into thinking it fit.

I go through phases of being heavier, being thinner, or lifting weights so my clothes are never going to fit perfectly.

As I stated before, posting on this board makes it real easy to what doesn't look right. That's a valuable tool. Thanks everyone.

Yes, yo-yoing in weight/build surely makes things more difficult. As for the "thumb test," am sure by now you've realized that that is a very imperfect way of judging jacket length, since one's arms vary widely. Easier/safer to go with: Does it cover my backside?

megadork2000

Reaction score
Yes, yo-yoing in weight/build surely makes things more difficult. As for the "thumb test," am sure by now you've realized that that is a very imperfect way of judging jacket length, since one's arms vary widely. Easier/safer to go with: Does it cover my backside?
[/QUOTE]

Yep thanks. Thats why I’m here

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads