• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CHORE COATS – FRIDAY CHALLENGE VOTING THREAD

Who wore it best?? Cast your votes now!!

Miles R.

Reaction score
Following the example of others here, I will make some comments on the items that I'm wearing this time (which will show that I have no aversion to low-priced items). From top to bottom:
  • Hat: Dobbs Golden Coach,purchased about 20 years ago at Byrnie Utz in Seattle (now defunct ?). This was my favorite hat from the time I bought it until a few weeks ago, when I acquired another that has bumped it into second place.
  • Coat: Ralph Lauren Chaps, purchased sometime in the 1990s at Filene's Basement in Chicago (also now defunct ?), probably for about $50
  • Pocket square: silk paisley by the Tie Bar
  • Shirt: herringbone flannel from Howard's of Paris
  • Tie: grenadier silk by Shibumi of Florence
  • Trousers: wool flannel by so-called Pini Parma, which is actually in Paris
  • Socks: you can't see them, but they are purple-on-gray striped, by Bresciani
  • Shoes: spectators by Undandy.
2020.04.01.jpg

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You look 100 times cooler without those little sweaters. Jus sayin...
The point of most sweaters is to keep one warm. I should look cooler without one. You should try a little sweater. You’d look 100 times hotter.

megadork2000

Reaction score
Everyone’s a commodian

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Today's outfit: Self Isolation, Day 17. An inversion of the navy/khaki color scheme. I really need some new summer suitings. Most of my summer wardrobe is simply variations on the navy/khaki theme, and I'd love to change that.

Alas, though. I'm a nonstandard suit size (36R), so I have a difficult time finding anything off the rack that fits, and I'm reluctant to splurge on an eBay garment, if doing so means finding out that one company's "size 36" is a poor fit for me. Any other folks here with the problem of too-narrow shoulders? My first custom suit had to be ordered from the boys' catalogue.

So it goes.

Custom shirt: Grady Ervin in Charleston.

Odd jacket from my khaki suit: Brooks Brothers

Knit tie: Hook & Albert, from Thomas Wages, Atlanta.

Chinos: J. Crew.

Pocket Square: grandma's quilting drawer.

Socks: Goldtoe.

Vintage items from eBay, thrift, & consignment: Alden loafers.

Glasses and sunglasses: Warby Parker. .

Timex Weekender watch with Smart Turnout watch band.

#VintageStyleNotVintageValues #stylishacademic #professorstyle #fashionintheclassroom #WFHFashion #LockDownDressUp

20200401_165512.jpg 20200401_165811.jpg 20200401_170559.jpg 20200401_170614.jpg

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's outfit: Self Isolation, Day 17. An inversion of the navy/khaki color scheme. I really need some new summer suitings. Most of my summer wardrobe is simply variations on the navy/khaki theme, and I'd love to change that.

Alas, though. I'm a nonstandard suit size (36R), so I have a difficult time finding anything off the rack that fits, and I'm reluctant to splurge on an eBay garment, if doing so means finding out that one company's "size 36" is a poor fit for me. Any other folks here with the problem of too-narrow shoulders? My first custom suit had to be ordered from the boys' catalogue.

So it goes.

Custom shirt: Grady Ervin in Charleston.

Odd jacket from my khaki suit: Brooks Brothers

Knit tie: Hook & Albert, from Thomas Wages, Atlanta.

Chinos: J. Crew.

Pocket Square: grandma's quilting drawer.

Socks: Goldtoe.

Vintage items from eBay, thrift, & consignment: Alden loafers.

Glasses and sunglasses: Warby Parker. .

Timex Weekender watch with Smart Turnout watch band.

#VintageStyleNotVintageValues #stylishacademic #professorstyle #fashionintheclassroom #WFHFashion #LockDownDressUp

View attachment 1364747 View attachment 1364746 View attachment 1364745 View attachment 1364744
This is possibly my favorite outfit of yours. I wish the pants were a darker navy.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone’s a commodian

I assure you my sweaters are all full size. We all could use a good laugh in our current global predicament.

Not me. Although I've been told that I'm commodious, everything I try to be a commodian, everything ends up in the crapper.

I’m pretty sure he meant the poet.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice coat. Can you tell me more about this DNA brand. A quick google search didn’t find me anything good.

Check out ...

Not the easiest website to navigate but Claudio (an occasional poster on here) offers top drawer customer service if you have questions about details of anything you see. I described his site in an earlier blog post as ...

“Proprietor Claudio Rossi has carved out a niche for himself selling high quality suits, jackets, shirts, ties, shoes and accessories mostly with a Mod or sixties influence. Items are made in short runs so the chances of you running into someone else wearing similar duds, even at a designated Mod function, are slim to none.

In order to set his wares apart from high street brands Claudio has designed most DNA Groove items to have a unique slant – shirts have extended spear point collars, shoes are usually chisel-toed, suits and jackets are high buttoning three button, often with slanted flaps and ticket pockets, and trousers have rear pocket flaps. He also provides top drawer customer service and clearly prioritises making buyers happy so we’ll keep coming back, so the buying experience is personal and detailed”

I think he’s planning on moving over towards more made to order rather than off the rack stuff so the stocks on display seem more depleted than usual. Not sure it’s up your alley as most jackets are ‘hard threes’ but you might like some of the gear!

Royal_Airforce

Reaction score
Following the adventure to the conservative business dress yesterday, I decided to revert to WFH mode. Safe and sound.

Still, I wanted to go through the (un)creative process of getting dressed, so I picked a fairly similar fit from yesterday (low contrast and low saturation). Same same but different.

9CBC8DCB-3D20-4218-B789-62EF44390014.jpeg

I swapped the light grey Prologue suit jacket into an oatmeal wool-linen hopsack sport coat from Cavour. A v similar bengal stripe shirt. A navy knit to replace the navy Shantung. Then light grey PoW trousers from Prologue suit in lieu of the mid grey yesterday.

2B2AB053-BED3-4797-97F0-A2C224CEDE5A.jpeg

The oatmeal wool-linen hopsack, while being plain in pattern and muted in colour (closer to the first pic than this IRL), has got some lovely texture, which is much welcomed in sport coats.

All those micro patterns and textures make it look plain afar, yet sophisticated up close.

Have a wonderful day you good looking chaps!

Cheers,
Royal_Airforce

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads