• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@9thsymph

9th, it all depends on how you choose to look at it. As you pointed out, I’ve studied proportions to the point of numbness.

See, to get a full cut (which is what I’m aiming for due to large thighs/glutes), the trousers have to travel quite a distance for the silhouette to flow. This means the rise must be high (at the navel or even inch higher). It is impossible to get this shape and drape and fullness without a very high rise.

If you study old classic drawings you’ll find this to be true. The only difference is that back then, high rise trousers where worn exclusively with a vest which somehow conceals the rise of the trousers and showing off the fall and drape of the trousers below the jacket/vest.

Now when you look at these trousers under a vest or buttoned up coat, they look very different. So it’s all about perspective. I like the new full look because it streamlines well with a full cut coat and softens an otherwise contourish physique.

Alan Bee

View attachment 1325060 View attachment 1325062 View attachment 1325063
(the sweater helps tremendously by mitigating the extreme rise...[I like a high rise, but only within reason...])

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(the sweater helps tremendously by mitigating the extreme rise...[I like a high rise, but only within reason...])
@9thsymph

9th, thats the whole point. Viewed in isolation, it is an acquired taste. But these trousers are meant to be worn with a vest (or jumper) and exclusively under a coat to conceal the rise. They are not your everyday trousers to be worn sans jacket with a shirt. It is otherwise impossible to get this cut without a very high rise especially back rise.

When developing the trouser pattern, we tried a medium rise but found out during fittings this breaks the back drape and disrupts the line/fall. To get the back drape to fall perfectly, we had to "lift" the back rise (and corresponding front rise) so that the fullness begins at the base of the seat (bum). With a lower rise, you wont get that fullness at the base of the seat and perfect fall from the glutes down to the hem.

The back rise should be cut high such that the waist is small and widens towards the hips/glutes, then falls (drops) in a vertical line (with your glutes acting as a ledge) all the way to the bottom hem.

That’s how you achieve a flawless drape and it is impossible to do this without a very high rise where the crescendo (waterfall) begins.

Here’s a prime example (tan pants not mine) which we used as a guide for developing the pattern.

Alan Bee
C96C6632-5783-4DE8-AD1A-8BAF50494F7A.png

Last edited:

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@9thsymph

Here are some fitting photos. You can see that while the front looks great with a mid-rise, the back looks sloppy and has absolutely no drape. So we have to move the rise up and add more fullness to the hips and glutes for a fuller cut.

Alan Bee
253E144F-2821-432C-AC3A-C87D0CB264C4.jpeg 228A97A8-DE9A-4AF6-A54F-E88D5688F684.jpeg 70BFF84D-F8E9-479B-9AE3-9D53AA21A9A2.jpeg 1CFB6E83-2FFA-449F-95BD-43C66C153AFB.jpeg

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Busy in a very elegant way. Beautifully executed!

Alan Bee
Thank you very much. Coming from a fine gentleman like you, that means alot. I really admire your fits and confidence in how you manage to wear your clothes rather than the other way around.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads