• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gus_McCrae

Reaction score

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This week is leading up to my next escape to London, planned for Friday evening, with a return to work for me on January 29th. I spent a good deal of yesterday evening wrestling with laundry, then sorting out what clothes I wanted to pack for the trip. With my energies dwindling last night, this is what I opted for to wear for today - a series of quick and possibly capricious choices.

Suit - New & Lingwood
Shirt & tie - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - The Custon Shop (long since defunct)
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - no name brand
Shoes - Gaziano & Girling (private label for Paul Stuart)
Overcoat - Joseph Abboud
Scarf - Paul Stuart
Hat - Laird, London

IMG_3590.JPG

[/SPOILER]

IMG_3585.JPG
IMG_3586.JPG
IMG_3587.JPG
IMG_3588.JPG
IMG_3589.JPG

[/SPOILER]

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a vintage cashmere blend overcoat last week from the now-defunct Horne Bros Ltd. Hornes held a Royal Warrant as livery tailors to HM the Queen and had a number of traditional tailoring shops on British High Streets until their demise some time in the 1990s.

Edit: have now made this my Friday Challenge entry...

New Horne CT suit.jpg

New Horne Bros.JPG

New Horne deets.jpg

New Horne Diplomats.JPG

Suit in Alfred Brown worsted and shirt: Charles Tyrwhitt
Vest: Moss Bros.
Tie: Shibumi
PS: from local outfitter
Shoes: Church's Diplomats
Scarf: New & Lingwood

Last edited:

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone has specific feedback on the boots I’d appreciate it. I’ve never done boots with a suit except for poor weather.
New poster on this thread but thought I'd weigh in.

The boots look stunning, but definitely on the casual side with a blue suit and white shirt. Waxed round dress laces may improve the pairing.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
If anyone has specific feedback on the boots I’d appreciate it.
Those are boots?
The angle you chose to shoot the pic is along a sight line that can be seen only by you. So if you're interested in how they look to others, I'm an other and I can't see them as worn, so I dunno. Probably okay. Kinda shiny.

Last edited:

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to sound like a dick, but "I think X looks tacky" isn't exactly a bulletproof argument either ;)
It's not an argument, it's an opinion (as the the "imho" part suggests) ;)
I was curious of Tim's reasoning, and if there was any, regarding his choice of fabric. I don't have to like it but it certainly doesn't preclude him or other from wearing it.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not an argument, it's an opinion (as the the "imho" part suggests) ;)
I was curious of Tim's reasoning, and if there was any, regarding his choice of fabric. I don't have to like it but it certainly doesn't preclude him or other from wearing it.
Indeed. As mentioned previously, "I don't like this" is not exactly strong reasoning, which one might reasonably expect if you're going to dismiss an opposing rationale as weak.

Gus_McCrae

Reaction score
Those are boots?
The angle you chose to shoot is seen only by the wearer of the shoe, so if you're interested in how they might wash were you to mingle amongst live people, I dunno. I didn't even know they were boots. Kinda shiny.

Brown leather chuka’s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics