1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

No groupthink, I just dont that that square in that fit, babi.

Next on, SF after dark.

2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Distinguished Member

Boy, you said it.

3. justridiculous

justridiculous Distinguished Member

These are beautiful! What kind are they?

4. GMMcL

GMMcL Distinguished Member

Thanks! Santoni.

(Thrifted for $10; fit like a glove. :hide: )

5. Caustic Man

Damn, good find. @Orgetorix used to find deals like that but I never have.

6. SeaJen

SeaJen Distinguished Member

You're not looking in the right places.

[​IMG]

7. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Distinguished Member

Very nice as always. I do have one minor nitpick: the jacket looks somehow a little bit too fitted and also short. I've noticed this with a few of your jackets. You appear to have a "built" physique and having such a well-fitted jacket accentuates this. Actually in the above photo you look uncomfortable - as if your body language is saying "I'm dying to take this damn thing off".

I suspect you may benefit from a slightly looser-fitting and also longer cut for future acquisitions. Just my 2¢ worth.

8. Caustic Man

Clearly. [​IMG]

9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I semi-agree with Cox, GMMcL. The suppression looks excessive (although that may be exaggerated by the position of your arms). The length, however, works well IMO. I generally prefer your suit fits because your odd-jacket combos seem to distort your proportions. I recall being surprised to learn that you're relatively tall, and I think it's because the longer jackets really visually shorten your legs. That's not the case here.

10. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Distinguished Member

Is that a hackett sc?

11. Roycru

Roycru Distinguished Member

Glad that so many of you liked my picture at the pre-Valentine event. Since today is the day before Valentine's Day, I thought that this might also be a seasonally appropriate place to sit.

It was nearly 90F here today (which is not seasonally appropriate) so I am wearing a Brooks Brothers (Italian era, three button, darted, twin vents, and pleated trousers) cotton mini-houndstooth suit, PPBD ecru shirt, and tie, Gold Toe socks, and Allen-Edmonds shoes........

[​IMG]

12. GMMcL

GMMcL Distinguished Member

I appreciate the feedback. Always room for improvement (though of course one hits a point where those fine tunings carry disproportionate costs). This jacket is admittedly on the narrower/more fitted end of what I have. And to be fair, most of the early comments on my fits were "too loose! baggy pants! not enough waist suppression!" My point is: This is all your fault. Really, though: To some extent it's because my proportions have changed pretty drastically in the last 6-12 months, and made harder to fit OTR. But I'm not about to have 30+ SCs and the same number of suits moved in/out by a bit here or there, since: a) I'm likely to put it back on (but suck it if you think I'm not going to enjoy the crap out of looking this good while I do); and b) 99.9% of the wider world won't notice. Especially since I cycle through things so quickly (because they sell). Above and beyond that, to me, a Vox-like fit (without going broke/bespoke) is frustratingly elusive. Take yesterday's jacket -- which fit me before the weight loss and so is extremely loose -- and you still see that tug at the button. WTF is that all about?? Then take today's jacket and compare to the spoilered navy Oxxford I have. Measured, its exactly the same -- precisely the same pit and waist suppression. But I'll admit, it's just off -- maybe in the shoulders. Even so, I can't part with it -- yet.
    [​IMG]
    As for length, I'll throw this out for consideration: These pants sit much higher on my inseam than many of my suit pants (or, frankly, the other pants I threw out because you guys told me I needed to go slimmer and slimmer until we got to these -- again, your fault). Whereas my suit pants the inseam sits a bit lower (though, mysteriously, nobody had a problem with those --- remember the time I showed the suit pants which someone said were "perfect" laid on top of and bigger than a pair of separate pants that someone said were "clown like"?). So even though those suit jackets are the same length as many of my separates, optically, the separates look longer. But of course, I'm not going to tailor all my jackets to just ONE pair of pants. I mean, sorry, but no. Net: While I appreciate the feedback, short of going full bespoke (which won't happen until I win the lottery), we will simply have to suffer through seeing fits that are off by one minutia or another.

13. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Distinguished Member

^ Yes well it is a frustrating business, isn't it, this "dialling in the fit" thing. I struggle with it too.

BTW the spoilered outfit above is very nice. Not sure if that jacket is longer, but it looks longer and I like the balance. The tiny bit of pulling at the button is something I'm sure you could see on Vox too if he weren't such a perfectionist about the images he used to post.

14. Pliny

Pliny Distinguished Member

15. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

Pink and blue and tweed.