• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to give @Claghorn the benefit of the doubt because his jacket textures have not translated well to photos in the past, and he usually pics the right one IMO. However the shirt and PS just make me go hmmmm. But that's just me, and Clags looks better than me 29 days out of the month.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think tattersall requires a more rough-and-tumble jacket fabric.

I hate to say it, but I agree. I'm usually very much on board with what you do and how you do it, Clags, but here, I was finding the shirt fight the tie, and both fight the jacket, and then when I saw you wore that jacket as a separate, well, it was pretty much all downhill.
Not that I'm in any position to give you feedback, but that's just the vibe I got. Sorry, broski!

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hate to say it, but I agree. I'm usually very much on board with what you do and how you do it, Clags, but here, I was finding the shirt fight the tie, and both fight the jacket, and then when I saw you wore that jacket as a separate, well, it was pretty much all downhill.
Not that I'm in any position to give you feedback, but that's just the vibe I got. Sorry, broski!

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had to step away for a bit. Appreciate the feedback. Shoes have a bit of a reddish tint. I was comfortable with the shoes because while the suit is dark navy, it is flannel herringbone with a unique cut and to me has a more casual vibe than your typical navy suit.

I agree on the PS front. I was planning on wearing a wool PS with a soft pattern which may have tied things together a bit differently. Wife recently got me the PS I am wearing, so I put it on for her (there is a light blue stitching around the roll that she likes).

stock pic of shoes:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tattersall of the flanel type certainly does. But @Claghorn 's shirt goes well with his jacket IMO, as his detail pic shows.
If anything and if I were in the mood to nitpick, I'd have more trouble with his choice of PS here.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had to step away for a bit. Appreciate the feedback. Shoes have a bit of a reddish tint. I was comfortable with the shoes because while the suit is dark navy, it is flannel herringbone with a unique cut and to me has a more casual vibe than your typical navy suit.

I agree on the PS front. I was planning on wearing a wool PS with a soft pattern which may have tied things together a bit differently. Wife recently got me the PS I am wearing, so I put it on for her (there is a light blue stitching around the roll that she likes).

stock pic of shoes:

Looks better, would be a killer look with a different tie and PS next time!

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Everyone is in the position to give feedback.

As far as the jacket being a separate: Well, the fabric is very much not suiting (wool/linen/silk, some slubs). The color is fairly casual. And it has patch pockets (which with me doesn't mean much, because plenty of my separates have patch pockets). And of course, there are no pants. So. Definitely not separates.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
iPhone pictures. I tried taking better pictures with my compact camera while I was out walking the dogs, but the battery died
frown.gif

Green and purply/mauve together is an awesome combo IMO. Green tie with Oxbloods, for example. Someone mentioned jacket shortness. +1 - or maybe that's the look you're going for.
Quite chilly here today so I took the fuzzy approach..

Rarely see a peaked SB in these pages. I've always shied away from the combo as too out there - but seeing your suit I think I'll have to reconsider that.

I have something else planned for the Friday Challenge, but this fit is my backup entry:

Struth Ht, you're really hitting your straps. Another nice look, and the charcoal tie is another WAYWRN rarely seen .
Not the best pics today. Indoor and outdoor.

oooh I like your style. Am i crazy- Isn't navy suit + tobacco suede a classic combo?

That awesome tie
smile.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wasn't hating on the suede, I was hating on the colour. If he had shown a full pic your eyes would've gone straight to the shoes. The suit/shirt/tie are all relatively uniform and cool colours, and then you have these bright suede shoes in a wonderfully warm and saturated colour. They do not relate to the outfit in any way whatsoever, which makes it look like a separate element.

True. I just dont think that that is inherently bad. I know I had a similar discussion with @Holdfast regarding navy suits and tan shoes. I think sometimes an item that "pops" (Foos is getting mad at me already) is not necessarily bad, its just not appealing to everyone.

WilliamBlake

Reaction score

I was going to submit this for the FC, but after seeing how many brown submissions there are, I am reconsidering.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's not as smooth as the first picture made it seem, but I'm sticking with my original assessment. Not horrible by any means, but less than ideal.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was going to submit this for the FC, but after seeing how many brown submissions there are, I am reconsidering.

Jacket's just a touch on the absolutely ginormous side WB
plain.gif

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads