• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What is the problem with the self-stripes? Is it something only asccociated with inferior, trendy clothing labels? I ask because I have a suit I picked up with these stripes just before I joined SF. Not looking for a fight, just curious. It's amazing how this place gives you new eyes. Hated cuffs until just recently from lurking here. Before I'm through most of my closet will be at the Goodwill.

So what makes a chalk more legit than a self?
Easy peasy, self is ugly and chalk isn't.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stunning day today here. It is Wellington cup day (horse racing) so I have an afternoon BBQ to attend with friends. Consequently I need a hat!

Jacket: Tom Ford
Tie: local shop
Shirt: Kiton
Trousers: Hickey Freeman (still waiting on wool trousers - these are moleskin)
Pocket square: Liberty
Shoes: Bontoni
Hat: Olney
Sunnies: Moscot

In general, I like this a lot.

But because this is SF and I must nitpick....I really feel like that shirt and in particular the material/collar style are too business for your outfit. You need something more casual. THIS IS THE ******* CATALINA WINE MIXER after all.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

But because this is SF and I must nitpick....I really feel like that shirt and in particular the material/collar style are too business for your outfit.  You need something more casual.  THIS IS THE ******* CATALINA WINE MIXER after all. 

Yup, a light blue chambray would have done wonders.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well said, sir. Bravo.

I don't think CM had ill intentions.

I don't really think so either, but a comic, negative emoticon is a fine response for an established member....but I don't think it is helpful for a newbie. I think when someone is testing the waters here you should either supply supportive, constructive criticism or leave them alone.

(Unless the newbie is a blatant, arrogant asshole like that one kid last year who posted disgusting fits and then told us we were "all wrong" when we tried to correct him. Then they deserve mean-spiritedness and abuse! :D )

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe I have something I'd like to get off my chest. If anyone is offended by this I apologize in advance because it is not my intention to offend. The reason I am going to say it, risking that possibility, is because I think it needs said whatever the eventuality. The sensitivity, and the willingness to immediately take offense by some here wears terribly thin. This is what prompted several overblown responses by you, MrDaniels "
uhoh.gif
" <------ That's it. That's all. My singular response to this topic will be as follows, and once I say it I will not say anything more on this issue whatever: R-E-L-A-X

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Knit ties are more casual and rustic than ordinary ties, and though Bond wore his with formal city suits they’re more appropriate with tweed and the like.
I wear silk knits with suits too. With a navy suit I'd go with a different color than black- not enough contrast.

I'm a big fan of knit ties but IMO not all knits are created equal. Very open weave, crunchy knits are more casual/country than ones with a more closed, grenadine like weave. I believe Bond's knits were of the latter type. So appropriate there.
Also, black can never be considered 'country', and that is what makes @MrChris 's very crunchy knit a bit of an oxymoron to me. I still like his fit (ok, minor nitpick: the contrast stitching of the lapel buttonhole), but it would have been even better with a less open weave knit.
I respectfully disagree with your assessment that navy and black don't go together because there's not enough contrast. It's not a given that a fit can only be good if high contrast, and in this case ample contrast is provided by the white shirt anyway. Navy suit and black tie is a city classic. Just my 2 rupiah....

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like black ties with plain navy suiting. i think it looks less like a funeral getup than black ties with grey suiting.

jfrater

Reaction score

But because this is SF and I must nitpick....I really feel like that shirt and in particular the material/collar style are too business for your outfit.  You need something more casual.  THIS IS THE ******* CATALINA WINE MIXER after all. 

I have 11 shirts on the way from Luxire. One is a linen/cotton blend:

http://luxire.com/products/grandi_sole_oro_b_18439_01295_white_linen_with_45pct_cotton_

Would that do the trick? Or do you think a sky blue linen/cotton would be better?

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
uh huh- I was going to say the same thing... but was referring to flat-ended silk knits, not grenadines, which work formallly. I agree with the second bold.
i like black ties with plain navy suiting. i think it looks less like a funeral getup than black ties with grey suiting.

U mean dark grey? I don't think it's funereal

MrChris

Reaction score

I'm a big fan of knit ties but IMO not all knits are created equal. Very open weave, crunchy knits are more casual/country than ones with a more closed, grenadine like weave. I believe Bond's knits were of the latter type. So appropriate there.
Also, black can never be considered 'country', and that is what makes @MrChris
's very crunchy knit a bit of an oxymoron to me. I still like his fit (ok, minor nitpick: the contrast stitching of the lapel buttonhole), but it would have been even better with a less open weave knit.
I respectfully disagree with your assessment that navy and black don't go together because there's not enough contrast. It's not a given that a fit can only be good if high contrast, and in this case ample contrast is provided by the white shirt anyway. Navy suit and black tie is a city classic. Just my 2 rupiah....

uh huh- I was going to say the same thing... but  was referring to flat-ended  silk knits, not grenadines, which work formallly.  I agree with the second bold.

U mean dark grey? I don't think it's funereal

Out of personal taste I prefer knit ties with open weave, hence all my knit ties are of this composition, regardless of color.
Gentlemen, let's agree that we disagree concerning the black silk knit tie. Thankfully opinions and personal style vary from person to person, it would be rather boring if we all had identical opinions and outfits. But a healthy discussion as we've had is all in good fun.

Last edited:

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So which one of you Double Monk wearing Londoners tried to jump the machete wielding jewellery robber?

0.jpg

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah...I noticed that. Not too often the guy in the suit gets to be a superhero!

arnathor

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is why Brits need to be armed. Should've blown that punk away.

EDIT
They run up in there with a sledgehammer and huge blade, you pull out a shotgun and give them 5 seconds to back off or you drop the biggest guy and blow the guy running out the door in the back like you are Tony Montana.

You don't see this crap happening in Switzerland or Wyoming, because all the men are armed to the teeth.

EDIT #2

Where is Gallen Weston when you need them to pull some Secret Service ish'

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads