HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Senior member

Wow, one of the best things you've showcased! :)

2. arnathor

arnathor Senior member

Caustic, you remind me a bit of Gallen Weston, just a really well armed Gallen Weston.

3. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Had to Google that.

4. Shpirt

Shpirt Well-Known Member

Here is my first official SF fit - take it easy on me please
    [​IMG]

Suit - Zegna
    Shirt - Sarar
    Tie - Canali
    Shoes - Ferragamo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the poor quality and lighting of photos - I am still learning.

5. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

They may lump it together as a "suit," but that doesn't mean they don't recognize the difference in formality. When I do wear a suit, people who interact with me regularly will ask why I'm dressed up (relative to what I normally wear). I think most people recognize the gap in formality even if they name both suits.

Agreed that suits require less effort. But SF is a place where folks don't mind putting effort in what they wear.

@Kent Wang Exactly, which is why I have no qualms wearing tweed suits, linen suits, or heavily patterned suits.

6. Mhmt83

Mhmt83 Active Member

Today. Navy suit again
    [​IMG]

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Why does it bother you to be more formal? Why do you consciously avoid it?

8. Claghorn

I want to signal that what I'm wearing I'm wearing because I want to, not because I have to. Pocket squares, 2 or 3 pattern fits, and rougher ties help in this as well.

In part, I'd been forced to wear gray suits and white shirts for a while. Made a lasting impression.

In part, there are two types of people (at least in our generation) who dress as if they have an important meeting when they don't:

a) clothing hobbyists (which we are)

b) douchebags who want to look important (actually, these people might aspire to be douchebags...and admittedly, my take on this may be spoiled by white teachers living in Seoul wearing suits to pretend to be businessmen. But it seems like this type might exist here too)

I suspect most people will either assume that I have to wear a suit (which is something that used to be true...I wasn't even allowed to wear blue shirts) or that I want people to think that I have to wear suits.

Like I said...colored by my experiences. It's annoying when you get called out in a bar after work and you have to show someone your business card to prove that you're in a suit not to impress anyone or put on false airs but because you're being forced to wear it. Especially so when you don't want to be wearing it (as I hinted at earlier, it was super restrictive)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015

9. Shpirt

Shpirt Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Just another fit pic....

10. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

In my neck of the woods, the difference between the former (clothing hobbyists) and the latter (douchebags who want to project an image of something they're not) is easily differentiated. The kind of suit, the fit, the shoes, the attitude. Might be different in your part of the world.

Plus, what's wrong with teachers or other professionals wearing suits? This doesn't automatically mean we're aspiring to project an image of being greater that who we are? I get that in South Korea, things might be more rigid/protocolar than in the US and Canada, tho.

The same could easily be said about whisky or cigar enthusiasts, or any other hobby the rich and powerful enjoy. IMO, of course.

11. patrickBOOTH

Why do you care what other people think of the reason for your attire? I get, the idea that one might like the look of a sport coat and such, but to dress a certain way to signal formality to others just seems bizarre to me. Maybe this is a Korea thing? I can't imagine anybody caring why somebody is wearing a suit vs sport coat enough to see their business card.

12. Claghorn

It happened multiple times. Perhaps @The Noodles can speak to this.

I also prefer odd jackets to suits, so it isn't like I am making some big sacrifice.

13. patrickBOOTH

I would have told them to go fuck themselves.

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Shpirt, I cant quite say that your fits are terrible, but they are definitely the anti-SF. Lots of self striped items, shiny items, fun socks and shoes with a generally "formal" fit, and so one. The clothing seems to fit reasonably well, but the cropped pictures are not ideal for judging that. In any case, not a poor showing, per say, but if you are looking for advice/how to be considered more well dressed around here, you will need to make a lot of adjustments in the areas I mentioned.

---

Clags, I obviously dont want to tell you what to do (ok I do) and you are free to never wear suit, but all your posts on the matter so far sounds like metal/emotional scarring from bad suit wear of years past along with fabricated assumptions about how people may or may not perceive you. All comes of as, well, I cant find an adjective that isnt deragtory, and Im not trying to dis you. Just that its not adding up to me. If you just were to say you dont like wearing suits and thats that, Id not have given it a second though, but the manifesto makes it sound off to me. Idk, Im a douche, whatevz.

No to mention, lol at thinking people would perceive you different in a suit than they do in your dress pants, a SC, a tie, and PS. Cmon dude, really?

15. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Fascinating conversation. I've seen professors wear suits and I haven't thought twice about it. Korea must be a VERY interesting place. I may, in future, wear a suit to my institution (I'm not a professor, mind you) if'n I want to.