• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kira

Reaction score
I found some opinions on the hierarchy of formal dress shoes:

Quote:msulinski
Quote: Manton

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A great night! Please note, the brown shoe has enjoyed fame and fortune long enough...it's time for the black shoe to return to greatness

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Clags, buy a hat.

Too young to wear a hat without it being affected. But rest assured, I hit 50 and I find a hat that fits my oversized noggin, it will be purchased.

JFrat, that's an epic suit, and you were right to keep everything else simple. But I don't think it works with a white shirt.

Last edited:

jfrater

Reaction score

EDIT: Jfrater, I like what you have going on, but I think the shoes are too casual (they're just about right in formality for the cloth of the suit, but I think the white shirt and restrained furnishings make it a touch dressier). In a perfect world, you'd be able to find a shirt with a spread collar that perfectly continues the seam between collar and lapel (something I normally don't sweat, but I think the seam on that lapel is placed differently in order to make that possible).

I'll bear the shoes thing in mind - to be honest, I presumed they were formal because they were capped toe with broguing. May I ask what you would consider a better alternative?

As for the spread collar - there's a problem with that - wide spread collars make my face look extremely fat and strongly accentuate my long neck. I definitely don't suit them. Having said that, the collar on that Kiton shirt isn't as long as I would like it because I much prefer the collar tips to hide beneath the lapels of my jacket.

Last edited:

jfrater

Reaction score

Too young to wear a hat without it being affected. But rest assured, I hit 50 and I find a hat that fits my oversized noggin, it will be purchased.

JFrat, that's an epic suit, and you were right to keep everything else simple. But I don't think it works with a white shirt.

You think blue would have been better? I did trial both and ultimately decided on white because so much of Tom Ford's stuff is based around white.

Interesting story: I went to an antique shop I frequent today and the owner loved the suit and asked if she could feel the fabric. She asked what it was and when I told her Tom Ford she told me she was the Gucci buyer for Australasia before Tom Ford left the company! What a coincidence!

By the way - I think you would suit a hat very much - even at your age. I think you'd carry it off with aplomb.

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Casual Friday at security guard headquarters. I think the shoes may not be formal enough for the outfit. I am really digging these pants though. I like the fuller cut and drape.

u have a hell of a lot of latitude with your shoe choice there IMO AAS - the fit is such a mish-mash of formal and informal - 'post-modern' if u will.

I think Tom Ford doesn't get a lot of love here but I find his fabrics to be beautiful and his clothes very well tailored.

noice- I like the cut and can't fault the proportions of the tie and shirt

Edti: just noticed YRR's comment- IMO the shoes r fine given that the suit is so sporty. I wouldn't go more formal.

I found some opinions on the hierarchy of formal dress shoes:

Quote:msulinski

monks and derbys together IMO- the classic JL William DM in brown box would be less formal than a 3 eye blucher in the same leather, for example.

re color, IMO a blucher in No 8 shell is more formal than the same shoe in tan.

Last edited:

jfrater

Reaction score

u have a hell of a lot of latitude with your shoe choice there IMO AAS -  the fit is such a mish-mash of formal and informal - 'post-modern' if u will.

noice-  I like the cut and can't fault the proportions of the tie and  shirt

Edti: just noticed YRR's comment-  IMO the shoes r fine given that the suit is so sporty.  I wouldn't go more formal. 

monks and derbys together IMO-  the classic JL William DM in brown box would be less formal than a 3 eye blucher in the same leather, for example.

re color, IMO a blucher in  No 8 shell is more formal than the same shoe in tan.

What do you think of the white shirt? My Tom Ford suits elicit the most compliments of all my suits - I wonder if I ought to get my tailor to alter my new suits in a more modern style in future

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A suit that sporty wouldn't take a white shirt ordinarily, but blue and green together? not for me.

re: alteration- your tailor can't do much about the collar, gorge, lapels, shoulders, drape or pockets i.e. the foundation of a suit's 'style', so not sure what u mean (assuming you're talking about alterations)

jfrater

Reaction score

A suit that sporty wouldn't take a white shirt ordinarily, but blue and green together? not for me.  

re: alteration-  your tailor can't do much about the collar, gorge, lapels, shoulders, drape or pockets i.e.  the foundation of a suit's  'style', so not sure what u mean (assuming you're talking about alterations)

Oh - I meant slightly shorter in the jacket and more tapered in the trouser legs.

jfrater

Reaction score

re: alteration-  your tailor can't do much about the collar, gorge, lapels, shoulders, drape or pockets i.e.  the foundation of a suit's  'style', so not sure what u mean (assuming you're talking about alterations)

Incidentally - what shirt would you recommend?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Too young to wear a hat without it being affected. But rest assured, I hit 50 and I find a hat that fits my oversized noggin, it will be purchased..

Stop squealin, cuz its all in your head.

---

Jfrat, solid light blue. The Italian background.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Swangerman

Reaction score

Absolutely right. Just one small correction it should be balmoral/oxford vs blucher :)

Ah yes, thank you. A slip of the fingers.

And to further expand: balmoral/oxford vs blucher/derby.

There, I think that is what I was reaching for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads