• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

At some point you must decide if you want a physique built for tailored clothes or for the beach; suits or swim suits.

Sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense at all. Dudes that are in shape look great at the beach and in tailored clothing...as long as it's tailored to fit properly.

Don't you remember Victor?

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No frills looks pretty good in suits and that dude looks pretty fahking swole.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mcobinad-- Would be interested to see how something from boglioli looks on your frame-- or a wider lapel DB with softer shoulders. Really think your athletic build precludes you from any shoulder padding

http://mobile.yoox.com/us/49144314NS/item?dept=men#sts=SearchResult&cod10=49144314NS&sizeId=3

http://www.trunkclothiers.com/clothing/tailoring/caruso-glencheck-db-suit-grey.html

Tried and True-- that is just silly!

I guess it is the consequence of hitting the gym all day. Well, I have to move the buttons a little closer to facilitate easy closing of the jacket. I don't think alteration is necessary here as the fit is perfect for me, besides no much cloth is left inside the jacket to achieve a more generous fit by the waist. I believe once the buttons are slightly adjusted, it will reduce the excessive pulling on the buttons.

Last edited:

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense at all. Dudes that are in shape look great at the beach and in tailored clothing...as long as it's tailored to fit properly.
Clothes hang better on a lean physique. The more muscle mass, the more fit issues.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Clothes hang better on a lean physique. The more muscle mass, the more fit issues.

Nonsense. Beanpole figures have just as many fit issues. But that's why there's tailored clothing, right?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's total hogwash mate.

You tailor to fit the body, not the other way around. Sure, certain OTR fits might be harder, but plenty of brands don't cut their clothes for waifs as well. lol.

Personally, I've gained probably 25 lbs since I started posting here. I've gone up a few jacket sizes (from just under a 38 to close to a 42 for some brands), and I honestly think that everything looks better because I actually fill out some of the jackets, the shoulders work better, etc.

TLDR: It's about the cut. You fit the clothes to the body, not the other way around.

Last edited:

LoKey

Reaction score
There have been plenty of discussion before about ideal physiques. My experience has been mixed. Increased trap size makes otr dress shirts less than ideal. It's not that most people would notice, but it bothers me so I go mtm for shirts. I've also found that padded shoulders don't work well for me and 8 or 10 drop suits are harder to find.

That said, going mtm, bespoke (like Victor) or just having a good tailor for adustments solves most of these problems. Like most things, muscle mass and ease of fit are on a continuum. Problems exist on the extremes of either end.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't you remember Victor?

I wonder what happened to the guy. I continued to follow his blog after he quit SF but eventually, even his blog closed shop.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bowler Hat by Locke and Co

Overcoat with detachable mink collar David Reeves own make.

Gloves by Tough Gloves

Scarf by Turnbull and Asser

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I did not give you permission to use a picture of me!

:lol:

------

I think that the issue here is that suits now looks very tight. It happened to me when I went from using a 40 to a 44 - 46 but a 32 on the trousers. In fact the trousers of those suits fit nicely but the shoulders of the jacket were small.

I think that as long as you don't have a Kai Greene or Olympia body you can find something that would fit, adjustments will be needed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads