• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...these days, in between my stinkers, I occasionally manage to score 20+ thumbs for my fits.

Thanks for the frank, and very truthful, post, Cox.

You sayin' I still post stinker fits???

smack.gif

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I see Don's given you a tick, but IMO your comment is patronizing and offensive. Dressing it up as friendly advice is what I'd call passive - aggressive.

Happy New Year, guys!

2aj5e35.jpg

HNY to u. I've seen the label a lot around the forum. Looks to me like the kinda thing maybe Jackson Pollock would've worn while he splashed out 'Blue Poles' , which we (Oz) got for a steal back in the 70s.
IMO SEH Kelly has a similar retro working man's aesthetic. - Mind u, Streetwear novice here.

DonCologne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see Don's given you a tick, but IMO your comment is patronizing and offensive. Dressing it up as friendly advice is what I'd call passive - aggressive.

I see the spoiler too late and the thumb was for the brown earthtone part. It´s unfriendly to invade someones privacy you only know from some pics and posts in the internet. I think only close members of the familiy and good friends should give such a private advice. Everybody else giving such an advice, shows that he don´t know the social rules very good.

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don, that pic of the Kölner Dom in your avatar is pretty much the exact view I had of it from my apartment window in Deutz, back in 1989.

I wouldn't be surprised if your pic was taken from the roof of my building.

jfrater

Reaction score
Okay - Here's another - beautiful summer day in NZ. After seeing the photo I think I ought to have the sleeves lengthened a little - though they are a little risen up due to the fact that I've been wearing the suit all day already. The hat is a necessity in the ozone-less environment we live in.

Suit: Brioni
Shirt: Liverano and Liverano
Pocket square: Penrose London (cotton)
Tie: Sam Hober grenadine
Hat: Olney
Shoes: Gaziano and Girling

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PS too matchy in a not good way, and personally Im not a fan of that kind of check on a dress shirt. Rest is nice. Not sure if jacket fit is optimal.

jfrater

Reaction score

PS too matchy in a not good way, and personally Im not a fan of that kind of check on a dress shirt. Rest is nice. Not sure if jacket fit is optimal.

May I ask what you would recommend in terms of a pocket square? As for the jacket - I have a very large chest which makes it difficult to get a perfect fit without going bespoke :(

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either solid white (or cream if thats your jam), or a blue/navy that is of a different shade than your shirt. Maybe something with green in it.

Bummer about the fit issue. :-(

Last edited:

jfrater

Reaction score

Either solid white (or cream if thats your jam), or a blue/navy that is of a different shade than your shirt. Maybe something with green in it.

Bummer about the fit issue. :-(

Ah ok - would you generally avoid the pocket square being a similar shade to the shirt and the tie or just the shirt?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would avoid any time the square comes off from a distance as a solid color that is exactly the same solid color as the tie or shirt.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
jfrater, you might look at finding jackets with more open quarters. This might have a slight balancing effect against your large than average chest and the drape of the jacket. Also, maybe avoid jackets that have drape. And I suspect striped jackets make the bowing at the chest work.

@Betelgeuse , what's your drop again?

jfrater

Reaction score

jfrater, you might look at finding jackets with more open quarters. This might have a slight balancing effect against your large than average chest and the drape of the jacket. Also, maybe avoid jackets that have drape. And I suspect striped jackets make the bowing at the chest work.

@Betelgeuse
, what's your drop again?

Thanks for the suggestion - oddly I find Kiton, St Andrews, and Belvest stuff seems to fit quite well without alteration - perhaps they are more open quartered and I just didn't realize why. All of my brioni's need work around the chest. I am planning to get a bunch of suits made at Liverano this year so hopefully that will be the real solution in the end :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics