HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Have a look here. I've got a couple coming for my Grand Seiko the quality seems really nice.

http://www.combat-straps.com/ALLIGATOR----189-95.html

2. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Nmwa

3. JDMills

JDMills Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lengthen sleeves or not? excuse the bad lighting!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014

4. clayparkerjones

clayparkerjones Member

Not sure what the rules are around here, but...2nd post and Happy New Year!

[​IMG]

Details below:

[​IMG]

LBM 1911 – Navy Donegal from Haberdash
    Thos Pink Herringbone
    Isaia 7-fold tie
    Alfred Sargent Pimlico – 109 last from NMWA
    Square from Monocle

Not pictured or hard to see:
    Epaulet suede belt
    Tiff's links
    Sinn 756s

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

If you're going to keep posting fits like that, then it doesn't matter what the rules are!

6. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

7. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

Thanks for answering bro!

NMWA like noodles posted above. The pocket square is from there also.

The jacket is a wool silk cotton blend. My newest MTM from Ring. I am in love with it and the fabric is to die for. Already emailed Alvaro from Khakis of Carmel to look for a hopsack and now I'm thinking charcoal suit

8. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

The trousers are dark grey flannel actually - they are not part of a suit.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014

9. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

10. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

Okay - thanks for replying. I guess it can be difficult to judge a person's intentions without voice or facial expressions.

11. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

No problem. I went and scrolled through some of your other posts -- I was struck by how different it is to your other jackets -- which are mostly high-gorge, narrow-lapel, slim-fit affairs, with the shoulders cut right against yours. Now, I think that can look great as an SB (I was struck by how well you wear open quarters), but I think it's a tricky cut for a DB. The drapey, wide-lapel, extended shoulder look, on the other hand, works wonderfully as a DB, but it is a very different thing. It also adds width, unlike your SB jackets, so it sometimes needs to be approached a little differently.

So, I'm not surprised that it's very different to what you have, but I think it's pretty great.

I think letting the sleeves down a tiny bit might be a good idea. I have a few nitpicks, if you don't mind:

1. I think that shirt demands a plain white linen square.
    2. A DB suit and a contrast collar shirt risks an '80s look, which is (IMHO) pushed too far by the jacquard tie. A printed dot, or some kind of neat, might work better.
    3. The shoes could be on a more aggressive last -- the rest of your rig (and even the styling of the shoe, with the adelaide throat)) is fairly bold, so what looks like a very rounded last strikes me as somewhat unusual. This could, however, be the result of lens distortion. I am curious, though: who made the shoes?
    They seem to have a bit of a sheen in the photo. I think dark gray flannel odd trousers need some kind of a heather effect, rather than just a totally solid dark gray with some nap.

While I agree with some of Pliny's advice (I don't regard a simple repp as particularly dressy), I think you may be seeing a bit of a "probation officer" effect -- those who respond badly to a post are likely to put the next one under more intense scrutiny. Personally, I don't see an especially compelling reason to wear that square with that tie, and I think there's a slight dissonance between the dark, neutral, formal bottom half, and the lighter-toned, more-vivid, more-casual top half.

Happy New Year to all!

12. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

The pocket square was to bring out the little bit of red in the tie - not hugely obviously from this photo but more so in this one: http://cdn.styleforum.net/6/6e/6e2548e6_Ff1IEEF.jpeg

13. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

@jfrater , @Pliny and @YRR92 are certainly not letting you off lightly. But their comments are indeed on point, and it's worth noting that on this board, if you were a dick posting garbage fits, people wouldn't even bother offering advice.

Your most recent fit would certainly pass muster for most observers, but this isn't most observers - this is StyleForum. It's a hard school. Like studying violin at Moscow Conservatorium - you turn up thinking your Tchaikovsky concerto is pretty damn good, and guess what? Actually, it sucks. And really, at that point, you have no choice but to just absorb what people are telling you and set yourself to the task of improving, fast.

The first fits I posted here were really atrocious and I was quite taken aback by the dissing they got. Hey - I'm here to learn and improve. I got on with the job and these days, in between my stinkers, I occasionally manage to score 20+ thumbs for my fits. I've had a lot of fun getting to this point and I plan to continue improving, although I doubt I'll ever reach the dizzy heights of some of the real SF giants. (You'll work out who they are soon enough, if you haven't already.)

I notice you've actually been registered on SF since 2005. Been lurking all this time? What, may I ask, renewed your interest in posting?

14. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

I defer to your superior and intimate knowledge of all things absurd, Plinius. ;)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015

15. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Stitchy was an SF giant. Then he lost some weight.

But Cox is right. A lot of folks, when they post a bad fit, are just ignored. YRR and Pliny are just trying to help. Consider going to the WAYWRN Composite Thread (a compilation of fits receiving over twenty thumbs). Start from the beginning and work your way through.

Anyway, welcome.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015