1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. timhortons

timhortons Senior member

Geez. I didn't know this was a public shaming forum...

2. tristanFH

tristanFH Active Member

I don't think he's shaming you. You've been a member for about as long as I have - when you scroll through WAYWRN you must have noticed that the 'fits' which get a lot of thumbs/attention are quite vastly different to yours? Especially the jacket fit...

Its all a learning process. I think you should look at what DonCologne does as you seem to have similar builds and are perhaps in the same ballpark in terms of your preferred aesthetic, namely longer jackets and fuller trousers.

Cheers

1 person likes this.
  3. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

It's not - Sugarbutch knows what he's talking about and he's being straight with you. There are no redeeming features to that jacket. And indeed, in general, you seem to be wearing things that don't fit you. This is a common process for people who come here - many of us have been shocked by how badly we were dressing. The right response is not to be defensive, but to take this constructive criticism on board and do something about it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

@timhortons , some members have found the Noodles Good Nature Advice Thread a good place to master the basics on fit, color and fabric coordination, etc. If you've got the right attitude of wanting to learn, the members there will steer you right.

5. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

6. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Keep your spirits up. Some people just have their own ways of going about giving advise. Sometimes that can rub people the wrong way (I sparked a page long series of angry posts for responding to someone with an emoticon, for instance [​IMG]). The thing I would say though, is try to look through the style of the response and see what he's actually telling you, because he's right. The fit of your clothes is not good. I might not have gone quite as far as he did, but the sentiment is the same. I do want you to understand that what you are doing with colors, while not optimal, does show signs of promise. I have been an advocate for you to keep posting and I remain so.

By the by, we've all gone through some flaming about what we wear (except for maybe @Manton ), especially me. Consider it a right of passage!

7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Shame is not my goal, TH. I'm trying to help you skip forward in what I presume to be your journey toward looking sharp as a tack. You can go back (waaaaaaaay back) in the original WAYWRN thread to see where I started. I cringe when I look back. Generally, people were encouraging and I got some positive feedback, and that felt nice. But I didn't really make progress until a senior member gave me a dose RealTalk[​IMG]. If I recall correctly, his critique was very similar to the one I gave you. When I read it, my face got hot with embarrassment, and I wanted to crawl away from the forum. But that was the true beginning for me. I'm still on the journey, but miles down the road from where I started.

Keep posting, and we'll keep trying to help.

3 people like this.
  8. sugarbutch

Only if there are fairly large seam allowances. Turn 'em inside out and see what's there.

9. Albert Hal

Albert Hal Senior member

[​IMG]

My new passion: Silk boutonniers. To a vintage outfit from the 40´s

4 people like this.
  10. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Spot on. While it can be blunt and difficult to hear, it's better that you get it straight. Would you rather someone lie and say how smashing you look when the entire look is rubbish, or would you rather someone be honest with you and provide valuable feedback?

Definitely check out DC, who can really serve as a terrific guide.

11. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

Sf Family:
    Vanda, Yount, Unipair

A rare 3.5 inch knit, wool, Rooster

@timhortons Like others are saying, Butchy is just being straight with you. We've all started out somewhere less than where we are now. Hell, my first first I was wearing jeans with a tie and a shirt with rolled up sleeves (and was subsequently told I looked like I had just birthed a lamb).

Our improvement is largely based on:
    a) our ability to take advice when offered
    b) the money we have at our disposal
    c) our general intelligence
    d) our aesthetic intelligence

My first:

[​IMG]

23 people like this.
  12. sugarbutch

13. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Yeah, I had two shirts made by Luxire using measurements I took off three well fitting shirt. Neither of them came out well. I need to mail them a well fitting shirt or something.

Thanks for the advice. What do you mean by "ribs of the jacket"? Also, I feel like the herringbone is pretty much a solid on this vest given the tweed fabric. I'll try out your recommendation in a week or two.

[​IMG] So if I have it on the bed, would it be a wrong for me to get under it?

1 person likes this.
  14. timhortons

timhortons Senior member

I need to find a good tailor who knows what s/he's doing.
    Choices are super limited over here. There's probably 8 alterations places within a 2400 mile radius (not counting the dry cleaner with a sewing machine in the back)....
    Most isolated population center on the planet....
    I'll make some calls to screen them.

What are some good questions to ask to determine if the place is good?

15. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you are really wanting to march down this road, I suggest you go over to Noodles' Good Natured Advice thread. That's more for long term projects.

You'll probably want to give your budget for various items of clothing, what staples you have, what stores you have access to, what's your preferred means of acquisition (brick and mortar, ebay/thrifting, bespoke, etc).

One thing to avoid is sinking money into items that won't fit. Tailors can be expensive. Sunk costs suck, but the last couple of jackets you've posted aren't worth investing more money into. Save that money for something that fits better from the outset, and if you want to get that fit perfect, take that to the tailor.

3 people like this.
  16. Chaconne

Chaconne Senior member

I have yet to post a fit here and have no real idea of what i'm talking about, but, might it be better to try to just find a properly fitting SC or trousers than the full suit? The suit has so many potential pitfalls it might be better for us newbies to start a bit smaller.

17. Sander

Sander Senior member

The rib of the twill, not sure if that's the right term. Could be that flash photography brings this out much more than irl, but here jacket and vest seem to have a pattern of the same scale which is always confusing to the eye.

18. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

1 person likes this.
  19. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Thanks for the thumbs yesterday. Northern lights today. I wanted to wear a grey sport coat with all of this, but couldn't find one that worked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22 people like this.
  20. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

That would be Perth. Get on the "Australian Members" forum and ask for advice. I think there are a few Perth denizens there.

Not necessarily. In fact, odd-jacket-and-trousers fits are at a higher level of difficulty.

The usual advice (which I myself have not followed, possibly to my own detriment) is to start with a couple of "staple" suits: SBs in solid navy and charcoal worsted fabrics. These are like blank pallets which allow you to work on your fit, your style, and your colour matching of shirt/tie/pocket square/belt/shoes.

If you don't want to launch straight into bespoke (and it's probably not a good idea to do that until you have solidified your own style), you should check out B&M stores in your area first; then have a look at online options such as No Man Walks Alone, Kent Wang, SuitSupply and so on.

Your best approach will depend on your physique and budget. If you have a fairly standard physique, then online RTW can be great. Many online stores will allow returns at no cost, allowing you to have garments shipped, try them out, photograph yourself in them and post them here (preferably in the Noodles thread). We can guide you as to whether the suit is worth keeping (probably with some alterations) or should be returned.

My first decent suit was purchased for half price at the Canali boutique sale. It's still one of my favourite suits, and was only A$1,300 for a fully-canvassed, hand-finished suit in a beautiful Loro Piana fabric. It was a serendipitous purchase which encouraged me to dip my toe further into the world of men's style.

[​IMG]

I wore it "as is" for about 18 months before realising - entirely as a result of hanging out on StyFo - that it needed alterations. The above shot is post-alterations, BTW.

Just bide your time, do a bit more lurking here and on the Noodles thread and the CBD WAYWRN thread (now defunct, but a great resource), and you should be golden.

6 people like this.