1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Two recent pics...both shitty quality iphone stuff...but w/e...the fits were decent

[​IMG]
    Formosa, E&G Cappelli Donegal, Drakes (couldn't really decide what ps to rock here...but the whole outfit was grey, blue, and brown so I thought a little more color would help and I've really been loving the orange/brown combo recently)

[​IMG]
    Trying on a Borsalino at their shop in Florence near the seedy leather market down from the Ponte Vecchio. Ended up buying the hat. My first venture into the hat game. Next purchase will be panama.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    12 people like this.
  2. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

IMO perhaps ur pics would be better with a diff camera position GMMcL. If what SB says about your height is correct, u should look different than u do. Your shoulders less square, your chest less full, your thigs also. Camera about a foot, foot and a half higher would stop that foreshortening that happens when u look up at a thing- mountains, people etc
    Very nice fit IMO anyway.
    In different colors this wod be terrific IMO . Everything is a good fit.

S&&& N****, that's all you had to say.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  3. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Ooooooooh - I got featured on "Outfit of the Day"! This is so cool!

6 people like this.
  4. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

What other colors?

5. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

I disagree. I think that a repp tie (English rather than American, though, perhaps) with what looks like Harris tweed is a classic combination. The pocket square, not so much. But I like everything else.

6. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

You like everything else including the city shirt?

7. Braddock

Braddock Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30 people like this.
  8. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

The return of the infamous green speckled suit! Nice! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

English repp ties don't exist. They are regimental ties and AFAIK fairly formal, to be worn with blazers and such.
    The only silk ties that IMO go well with tweed are bold paisley madders and those of the shooting variety depicting grouse or foxes. PS can be wool or wool/silk but never a linen in TV-fold.
    Heavy weigh tweed calls for shirting with some texture. A nice flannel tattersall would have been perfect here.
    Edit: and pink and navy is definitely not a country combination. In other words, this would have been a great fit if the tweed jacket was replaced by a navy blazer. :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  10. Amar ezzahi

Amar ezzahi Senior member

A bit old:

[​IMG]

(on the right...on the left...on the.. anyway, the smaller one is wearing a french bespoke suit from Marseilles)

1 person likes this.
  11. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

Terminalogical exactitude is not something that I care a great deal about, not in this context, at least. I meant a striped tie in which the stripes descend "from the heart", and I think that was not difficult to discern. I dislike the American striped tie in which the stripes descend from the top right to bottom left. So, I was attempting to state that my personal preference would be if the tie had been of the English variety.

A Harris tweed jacket is a wonderful thing. And it looks perfectly fine with the OCBD and silk tie in the picture. And at this point, we're in de gustibus non est disputandum territory.

12. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Senior member

Much too iGent. Ditch that how-could-you-not-see-how-ugly-that-is bag, get the trousers hemmed a little higher, and switch the pocket square to a none-red one.

13. Amar ezzahi

Amar ezzahi Senior member

Thank you for the feedback Japan, I'll keep that in mind next time I dress that way.

14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

The city button-down shirt? It might not be the most rustic fabric, but that's not a city shirt. I like silk with tweed for the contrast in textures/finish.

I am surprised that rtc and Elio are so fervently toeing the line of traditional correctness. Especially rtc... :)

15. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Actually Elio wrote precisely what I was thinking: swap the jacket for a navy blazer and it's a lovely fit.

Toeing the line of traditional correctness is the very essence of this board. It's what we do here.

"Repp" is a widely misused term, including on this board. See this thread and this article for further clarification.

"A rep tie is made from silk that's woven in such a way as to produce tight diagonal ribs that make for deep, brilliant colors." ...and... "The repp in repp tie refers to the particular weave of the silk which affects the texture but not the pattern. Diagonally striped ties can be repp weave or not and repp ties can be striped or not."

So, what do you call a striped tie falling right-to-left with a non-repp weave (i.e. the type of tie worn by @clarinetplayer above)? I have no idea.

16. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

Rain today - it is starting to feel like Autumn is on its way!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Coat: Rubinacci
    Jacket: Chester Barrie
    Shirt: Liverano
    Tie: Sam Hober
    Pocket Square: Rubinacci
    Trousers: Ralph Lauren
    Shoes: Vass
    Socks: Penrose of London
    Hat: Borsalino

21 people like this.
  17. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

^Great Shoes

1 person likes this.
  18. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Quot Angeli in capite clavus saltare ?

1 person likes this.
  19. travisarmond

travisarmond Member

[​IMG]
    Exibit jacket
    Luca Panerai scarf
    Brancaccio shirt
    Burberry watch
    Scotch & Soda pants
    Tod's driving loafers
    Dog

20. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

You may have noted that disputing each others tastes and aesthetic preferences forms quite a lot of the activity - and the fun - of this forum [​IMG]
    Anyway, you wrote that CP's fit was a classic, when truly it is not. Which is what I tried to explain.
    BTW, why do you dislike the stripes of the American variety?

Well, I don't shy away of breaking the rules of traditional correctness on occasion, but only when I feel that the end result is still coherent and aesthetically pleasing.
    I like to think that those rules are there for a reason and - a few purely conventional exceptions aside - that they are ultimately guidelines that help us make combinations that are aesthetically sound.
    So what I didn't like about clarinetplayer's fit is not the rule breaking per se, but the aesthetics: the cool navy and pink colours don't work with the warm tweed. The shirt fabric seems not substantial enough next to the heavy tweed.
    I'm neither historian nor psychologist so I can only speculate, but I can imagine that the formal vs. casual rules have developed in the way they have because they align with our emotional associations and aesthetic preferences: i.e. cool colours, smooth fabrics etc. are not formal because the rules tell us so, but these preferences have become rules because to most people they make a more formal (i.e. emotionally 'distant') impression than warm colours and fuzzy fabrics.
    I agree with you that the wetness of silk provides a nice contrast with the dry look of tweed. (Didn't we discuss this very subject a few pages ago in this thread?) In fact, the very first book on menswear I ever read (Roetzel) featured a pic of such a combination that somehow stuck forever in my mind:

[​IMG]

Cox, I think I know what you're getting at, but I don't think "toeing the line of traditional correctness is the very essence of this board". For me, the essence is getting the opportunity to learn about these traditions and understanding why they have become so, so that I can make better informed decisions on where to follow them and where to ignore them. Which, I hope, will lead to me wearing better combinations because they are based on a better understanding of the underlying 'rules' instead of just randomly thrown together. At least, that's what I hope I've learned since joining SF. YMMV of course.

Indeed, 'repp' is widely misused and only pertains to the type of weave. But I thought the word itself is purely American, isn't it? In other words, a striped tie with that type of weave would be called a regimental tie in England. As would a striped tie without a 'repp' weave. As for the correct American term for a non-repp weave striped tie, I have no idea either...

Edit:

[​IMG] Yes, this seems mostly just a debating exercise, but I figured since we're here with like minded people, we enjoy debates like this? If not, my apologies...

2 people like this.