• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Can't really comment on the fit of the suit, for that you would have to close it and stand normal. Shirt collar looks too big. Tie... I can't see it that well, but I think I wouldn't wear it. The knot is really nice though. The color combination is basic and decent (I assume the suit is navy?). Shoes don't look good, don't buy shoes from Asos, buy shoes from a shoe company. You seem to be on a budget, so I would suggest Meermin or Bexley.

TobiasM

Reaction score

natters

Reaction score
thanks for the feedback! shirt collar is alright i think, just poor angle of the photo makes it look quite dominant. Tie is just red and white strips with some fine black stripes. Suit is navy. What exactly is it about the shoes that you don't like? I really like them (for $60) and will wear them regardless, just wondering. Yes, definitely on a budget.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thrifted a Samuelsohn jacket in the very same fabric a while ago. It's a 90% wool/10% cashmere, right? I love the fabric! I've been lazying-out so it's still waiting to go to the tailor to get slimmed down though.

No, this one is Zegna, 100% wool, but very soft and looks like it is a 90/10 mix, even though it isn't.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks for the feedback! shirt collar is alright i think, just poor angle of the photo makes it look quite dominant. Tie is just red and white strips with some fine black stripes. Suit is navy. What exactly is it about the shoes that you don't like? I really like them (for $60) and will wear them regardless, just wondering. Yes, definitely on a budget. 

The last shape of the shoes looks very aggressive, the leather very shiny and is that some kind of antiquing? Sure, there are much worse dress shoes for 60$, but that doesn't say much, to be honest. And I'm almost sure the shirt collar is too big, how many fingers can you fit in there? Also, you would definitel benefit from a taller collar to suit your tall neck (I have the same problem).
Red/white/black striped tie sounds terrible tbh. I realize I may sound harsh, but this is how I see it, if I sugarcoat, you can't improve.

Last edited:

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^Did you match your jacket to your wheelbarrow?
My mother chose colors for her/our homes and autos which complemented her skin tone, just as she did for her wardrobe. She was also known to turn down invitations to certain homes and avoid certain restaurants whose interiors were not complementry. Diva-like to be sure but after the color issues were squared away she was fun, fun, and more fun.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kinda hard to blame the wardrobe dept. seeing as Grant had wardrobe 'approval' on his films beginning in the early 40s. Most of the clothes he wore on film came from his own wardrobe.

I was just trying to give him a measure of justification. :).

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

3B aside, I think the main issue here is lacking contrast between jacket and pants. Dark grey flannel would have been my choice, like this it looks a little washed out.
Dark flannel is my first choice when wearing this jacket but one needs to mix things up. WRT washing out I feel olive and light brown are quite close but distinct enough in appearance and you have to also relate contrast with the skin tone of the wearer. If you wore this color combo it will look way off and I'd call the contrast police on you but dark skinned folks can get away with it due to their God given natural contrast.

Thanks for the thumbs everyone. In a decade the 3 roll 2 stance will also look dated and we should all be looking for those that sold it to us as "timeless and classic" :D

Last edited:

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
x-post from mc casual.

Happy Bar Wednesday gents!
Taking my new SC for a second spin with jeans.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dark flannel is my first choice when wearing this jacket but one needs to mix things up. WRT washing out I feel olive and light brown are quite close but distinct enough in appearance and you have to also relate contrast with the skin tone of the wearer. If you wore this color combo it will look way off and I'd call the contrast police on you but dark skinned folks can get away with it due to their God given natural contrast.

Thanks for the thumbs everyone. In a decade the 3 roll 2 stance will also look dated and we should all be looking for those that sold it to us as "timeless and classic" :D

I see what you mean; and I quite hate you for your ability to wear yellow jackets etc. in winter. :D

x-post from mc casual.

Happy Bar Wednesday gents!
Taking my new SC for a second spin with jeans.

That jacket is quite short, like boyish short, no?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is short, but with jeans I think its much less of an issue.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That jacket is quite short, like boyish short, no?

yeah it's shorter than a usual SC but I have shorter legs than most so regular jackets look funny on me.., like I'm wearing my dad's jackets. But I do realize that shorter jackets are not everyones cup of joe :)

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on this outfit would be greatly appreciated. Summer office attire (finance industry).
Sunglasses - fake ray ban clubmasters ebay
Shirt - Charles Tyrwhitt
Tie - The Tie Bar
Suit - H&M linen/cotton blend
Belt - H&M brown braided
Shoes - Asos brown derby.

Thanks very much for any feedback!

I'm not pro like Sanders, but I definitively think you'd benefit from slightly higher rise on the trousers (I understand H&M is pretty fashion forward with low rise), and like he said, a higher collar band, maybe almost up to 2" (1 ⅝" maybe?).

That's just nitpicking, but shorter laces too, because the loops look very long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads