HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Thanks! True story is, we have very nice weather all year long, nothing too extreme. :D

2. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Nice looking jacket - do the patch pockets seem a little low or is it just my eye? - not that it takes anything away from the look

3. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

X post from Friday Challenge

I had an interview today for a summer teaching gig. Nailed it. The rain coat was $15 on sale at Joe Fresh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I'm able to show different parts of the square at the 12" size. The major advantage of a smaller square is that it leaves less of a bulge.

16" original design silk squares will cost $65 instead of $45, and I'm only going to do them when I sell enough of the 16" white linen to prove there is enough of a market for them. So far I have only sold one, so it's not so looking good.

5. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

I don't mind a smaller square - as kent says I think the larger ones cause too much pocket bulge.

6. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm not sure 16 inch white linen is a good indicator of the market for 16 inch silk. They are used in entirely different ways, and I can't imagine how the extra size in linen impacts its wearing.

7. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Well played, AAS.

8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

This. A white linen hank is typically folded, and since no pocket is either 12" or 16" deep, it makes little practical difference. The puff-n-stuff method Kent describes is not a fold that most here use if pictures are any guide, and I don't think I've ever seen a guide which recommends it. Kent's free to run his business as he sees fit, but as mimo notes, this is the recurrent suggestion for his line of hanks.

9. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

I personally am not fond of 16" silk squares. 13-15 (max) is howI roll. Most jackets today are not built for 16/17" squares.

10. sugarbutch

Clearly your jackets aren't Classic jackets. :D

11. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I love 16" silk squares, as they're just so much easier to fold. I can display so many different patterns with my Drakes squares, while smaller squares are limited in their variety of folds. Another downside is that one end of the 'foo fold' will inevitably pop out of pocket during the day, while the added weight of a 16" square prevents this. I wouldn't be interested in a 16" linen square though.

12. sugarbutch

Pictures to illustrate how a 16" hank works

Puff and points

[​IMG]

Foo Fold

[​IMG]

GDL's "monkeyfist"

[​IMG]

None of these would even be visible with a 12" hank

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  13. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Kent

First, thanks for having a conversation about this.

My wife bought me as a gift one of your pocket squares, so I can compare the 13x13 size with the 16x16 size. Alas, I never wear the smaller one because of the size. Let me just make a few comments

1. I agree with the others that a 16x16 linen square is not a good test of the desire for 16x16 silk hanks. It's just a different beast. I'm fine with a smaller linen square; there's no need for more material. So it doesn't follow from disinterest in the larger linen that there is no interest in the larger silk.

2. I suggest a poll in your affiliate's thread to gauge interest.

3. I do not have the versatility in the smaller square that I do in the larger one. I cannot invert the square to take advantage of the colors in your square that I posted and still "puff" it. I explained in my last post why you might want to do this.

4. With the larger square, I have more control of the part of the square that shows, so more versatility. I can do more with how it looks, as SB's post shows. I can also control how much puff I want to show. I don't have the problem you have in your squares of it being too puffy (I can see that in the smaller square). How it puffs or looks depends on how I fold it, which is a flexibility made available by the larger size.

5. The extra bulk is not really an issue.

Anyway, again I think you have an untapped market there and it's worth exploring with the right experiment, e.g. one version of your hanks at 16x16; a poll of your customers in your affiliate thread.

My two cents.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  14. kulata

kulata Senior member

I haven't been able to use either of the two kent wang squares I recently bought. I always end up changing to one of my larger squares. I figure I can stuff in another square to give me room to manipulate kent's square, but that isn't ideal.

15. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

[​IMG]
    The tie width is not proportional to the lapel width.
    The jacket is too tight and does not fit.

I love this tie, Doodals!