• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My father (retired British army officer, dressed most of his life by Gieves) from whom I received this and many other pieces of gentlemanly advice, most of which I had until relatively recently spent most of my life ignoring, would be most amused to hear that he either invented this idea or indeed got it off the Internet...

smile.gif

You might be talking about something that might be considered "local usage" and not something that all Gieves customers or all army officers did. If you look at pictures of groups of army officers, university students, politicians, lawyers, businessmen, clergy, clerks, (or almost anyone else), from before the invention of the internet you see all sorts of ways of wearing clothing.

Then the internet came and people began propagating their own "local usages" as "rules".

The recent series of photographs of British dukes shows that they still enjoy the freedoms that all men once had. I am hoping that someday, the "rule makers" of the internet restore to all mankind the freedoms that they once had.

I believe that all men, not only Prince Michael Of Kent, should have the freedom to tie their neckties anyway that they want.

For those out there in cyberspace (many of whom never post pictures) who want a "rule", I propose only one "rule", don't put your trousers on over your head with the empty legs hanging down like doggie ears, as your vision will be impaired and you will look silly.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might be talking about something that might be considered "local usage" and not something that all Gieves customers or all army officers did. If you look at pictures of groups of army officers, university students, politicians, lawyers, businessmen, clergy, clerks, (or almost anyone else), from before the invention of the internet you see all sorts of ways of wearing clothing.

Cool your jets, Roy. I am not proposing a 'rule'. I'm often the one to point out the great variety of different traditions and styles that form our collective history - I share your general attitude to these things. And in my response, I was merely pointing out that you shouldn't assume that anyone's particularly likes and dislikes come from their being 'iGents' or from the Internet. I'm actually old enough to remember a time before the Internet too, you know. And my interest in clothes and style comes from a much older tradition and culture, however poorly I may reflect that in my own style. This is all.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Those are like the Calista Flockhart of lapels.

In all seriousness, you aren't going to find much love for that here. Those lapels really are way too skinny. I get that skinny lapels are trendy, but unless you're in college and wanting to wear a fun jacket (and even then, you need to be rail thin for it to really work), those lapels just aren't going to cut it.

I like the idea of a cream tie with a white shirt...sort of dandified. Give me real lapels, ditch the solid red square (there are perfectly good all solid looks out there...this isn't one of them) for something with a pattern (paisley), and it might look alright.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Go back a page and you'll find what I'm wearing today. I'll take my Huntsman lapels.

Not disagreeing that skinny lapels are in. Just that being in isn't the same as looking good and that you'd look better with something more substantial (7cm would be on the narrow side of conservative)

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
actually skinny
So I guess you must have all the style guru knowledge in the world then to make such a comment! :)
I guess that lapels are tiny, but that's the point.
there is a lot of evidence that narrow lapels are IN!
http://www.asuitthatfits.com/offthecuff/narrow-lapel/
come on! post the one that you were wearing today!
Mike

1. skinny lapels might be in but not lapels that skinny
2. skinny lapels are actually on their way out. If you read GQ or any other mainstream fashion magazine they have been pushing for a more standard width.
3. noone has to post a fit in a pubic forum to use as a prereq voice their opinion on what you wear.
4. if what I am typing doesnt make sense or is full of grammaitcal errors please forgive me. i have onw twin baby in hand who needs changing

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Cycling around a a mean!!

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like a wider lapel. they are more classic. they are more masculine. they are more definitive of a sense of "style"...rather than a sense of "fashion".

but, to each his own...

i encourage you to keep posting...though trends like this that are "in" right now will get you no love. this is after all the "Classic Menswear" forum. Not the "Designer Trendswear" forum.

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i like a wider lapel. they are more classic. they are more masculine. they are more definitive of a sense of "style"...rather than a sense of "fashion".

but, to each his own...

i encourage you to keep posting...though trends like this that are "in" right now will get you no love. this is after all the "Classic Menswear" forum. Not the "Designer Trendswear" forum.
facepalm.gif

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Four corduroys today: shirt, jacket, pants and pocket square. No watch as I only went out to go Starbucks. I wish the pocket square was darker

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm getting there. Thanks again mate. I'll do some reading and give you guys a shout if when required...

well I dont. I'm lucky if I get a shot with most of my body parts in the field and in proportion, in focus and with decent light.

Traveling this week. Probably won't post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads