HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. ScottMC

ScottMC Senior member

Nice HY pants. Are they a D-Ring model? Do they work well?

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think we all have different (primary) motivations for why we photograph and post pictures of ourselves. For me, I enjoy getting dressed, setting up my tripod and camera, snapping a picture, doing a quick color correction on Photoshop, and uploading it here. The whole ritual is a pleasant one for me. I like ritual. A lot. But the point of a ritual, for me, is to have a calming effect. It might not be for others. For most, the process of getting dressed, taking a picture, and uploading is probably not even ritualized. But for me it is.

Yup, and they work well.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

3. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

Cross post for the challenge..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

4. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

For me, preparing for the daily posting is a pleasurable ritual, as Clags has noted - the daily design problem (In my case, how best to upholster my aging carcass), the solutions for which are numerous, and much of the pleasure is in the process of figuring it all out.

Posting photos here means sharing images with people who might actually understand the pleasures of dressing (up or well - take your pick), and who might have some greater insight or interest in said pleasure more than the people with whom we otherwise interact socially. In working with my MTM guy at my local BB, I realized that, of his client base, few actually commission things to be made for style's sake, but simply because their shape is not catered to in RTW. (This may be one of the reasons that he likes working with me - that, and revenue.)

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Blah blah. It might be calming, but the real reason is for menswear discussion. If not, you would never do it, and certainly not post it. You would play with model trains or something.

Im not saying its not a pleasant ritual, or that its not ritualized for some, or that we all have the same motivations, but to avoid the true primary motivation of the pictures, which is a shared love for menswear discussion, is falsehood imo. I know how assumptive it sounds to tell someone else what their motivations are, but I still think its the truth. And I dont say it in a bad way. I would be dissing myself if I was. And who knows, maybe we are not even disagreeing.

As far the actual getting dressed in nice clothing part, I would hope that the primary motivation for everyone is to enjoy looking good, not posting pictures on the web. But hey, who am I to judge.

In any case, I think its an interesting talking point.

6. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

@edmorel , great post. I do have to say that the TF 'look' done right is freaking amazing. One day I will own one of those suits. They are just so incredibly striking if the proportions work for you. I'm crossing my fingers that they do.

@chocsosa , sorry but that fit doesn't work for me with the cardi. The lines on the 'placket' are pretty jarring methinks.

7. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

I will say that I notice things in photos that I don’t notice in the mirror. I don’t understand the psychology of that, but I’ve found snapping a picture to be very useful, whether I post it or not.

That’s probably just me, however.

Cheers,

Ac

8. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

I understand.. not everyone's cup of tea.. I could have gone for a plain cardi (which I dont have anyway)..but I knew the cardi will prob throw a lot of people off.. mainly for the competition anyways..

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

A2, no doubt. It is always easier to see flaws in what you have put together when you look at it in the picture then looking down at it in real life. It's just a different perspective.

They have certainly been times when after taking a picture I decided it would be better just to not post it.

Perhaps that is robbing people discussion, but all the same I feel that sometimes it's just not worth posting if it's truly off.

10. kulata

kulata Senior member

We post pictures for validation and feedback, for all other purposes you have a mirror.

11. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

To weigh in on this convo regarding reasons for posting (not that my opinion carries any weight), I post because I enjoy the challenge, everyday, to dress the best I can and I take value in the feedback, if any, that I get. Sometimes the feedback involves things that either I can't change (because of finances), or don't want to change (because it's not my style--for lack of a better word as it pertains to me) and sometimes the feedback involves things that I can change. For example, I posted a fit with a brown tweed jacket and grey trou and it got little love and it was suggested that the jacket was too short. Now, I am unable to alter the fit of that jacket but I was fortunate enough to have another brown tweed option in my rotation. So, when I revisited that particular fit combo yesterday, I reached a personal best in thumbs. These are the reasons I post: It's fun to dress; It's fun to share; And it's fun to learn.

12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

The one day I decided not to 'dress up' for work this week was the day I ran into my ex girlfriend.

Never again.

13. Fizzo

Fizzo New Member

@chocsosa A awesome look, the colors are well chosen. very classy and simple the cardi make a super contrast. Well done.[​IMG]

14. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Quoted only because it made me :crackup:

15. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

Picked up a new suit today and snapped a few pics. Had it made to wear as a groomsman on Saturday at a close friend's wedding. Pleased overall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]