• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am really digging the Autumnal Professor Pand looks. This new phase is almost as intriguing as your Bohemian Executive phase from some years back.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

FM, the fact that Ianiceman's opinion on AAS's contributions agrees with yours on this occasion, does not constitute proof of the merit of his critiques.

I'd rather see a hundred bad fits by AAS than one more snide comment by Ian. He/she is a troll, pure and simple. A person who derives some kind of weird pleasure or validation from snarking at the sincere efforts of others.

I've been active on all sorts of internet fora. Personas like Ian's are to be found on all of them. Who is this individual? Are they in the fabric/clothing/fashion industry? Do they know how to put an outfit together? Do they have form? We have no idea. What I do know is that he/she rarely if ever has anything nice to say, but regularly exercises their penchant for the glib put-down. And does little else on this board apart from that.

You have to ask yourself why someone would bother doing that, on a long-term basis. Just waiting in the shadows for some excuse to pounce on someone. Personally, I find such behaviour patterns vaguely bathetic.

As for "spoilering" the secondary photos in one's fit, I disagree with this too. By all means we should be spoilering quoted photoessays. But I find it much easier to scroll through a set of shots than to have to decide whether to click on a spoiler. As a result, I miss a lot of good stuff. YMMV.

What a load of bollocks. If you could be bothered (I'm sure you can't) to divest yourself of some self-fulfilling prophesy you'd see that I praise a lot more pics than I criticise. There was even plenty of praise in my comment about AAS but your mind is already made up that I'm a troll filled with negativity so you chose to ignore it. Carry on.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No sarcasm meant or intended. Not a lot of people can do the advanced pattern mixing AAS does IMO and it is beyond ivy, I'd call it ivy inspired. [...]

Agreed. The individual components are mostly "Ivy," but most of his combinations are not.

AAS and sugarbutch are two posters here, among others of course, whose fits frequently demonstrate excellent pattern mixing, despite their self-evidently different "styles"—a fact which confirms that there are at least some visual principles that transcend individual preference in certain contexts.

Cheers,

Ac

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agreed. I just got a pair of dark brown suede captoes back from the cobbler this week. I'll wear them on Thursday or Friday.

Do you have a maroon cardi? I think that would have worked better than the light grey, personally. Or maybe a maroon/burgundy repp tie instead of one so close to the jacket.

Last edited:

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NickP and Stiches get my internet monies this morning!

I may not be a huge fan of Nick's pants here but the top half fabric, color, and details make me happy.

The Giants winning tonight will make me happy too.

Stiches, the whole thing, but the PS especially. Where from? And is that the jacket usually worn as a SC in full suit mode? Killer.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks!!

Square is Bigi from NMWA.

I'm a little bit sad that you would even think that I would use a suit jacket like that as a sportcoat. This suit, and the navy sportcoat, are two completely different items.

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@in stitches Your square. I likes it. A lot. From where does it hail? nvm

Last edited:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking good, @PandArts . What's the great cause?
Stitchy, we missed your fits. Love the textures!

Ebonyman

Reaction score
Stiches killed it today! Nice colors, textures and fit. Great shoes too!

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks!!

Square is Bigi from NMWA.

I'm a little bit sad that you would even think that I would use a suit jacket like that as a sportcoat. This suit, and the navy sportcoat, are two completely different items.

I saw navy birdseye and got confussered, please to forgive? :)

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He is, however, correct in this case as in many others. Good literary critics do not need to be novelists. Good art critics do not need to be artists. etc. etc.
Absolutely. Academia is littered with people who have no practical experience in a given field yet posses valuable knowledge of its workings. The economics courses on markets (commodities, currencies, equities) that I took from Milton Friedman in college proved to be of immense value to me in spite of the fact that he had never stepped foot on an exchange floor.

As for AAS: I think that even on his 'bad days' he looks pretty darn good. The only advice I would give to him would be something Coco Chanel told my grandmother about wearing accessories and apply it to garments , “Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.” In this case, lose a pattern or a color.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking good, @PandArts
. What's the great cause?

Cheers EliodA!

The pink police car behind me for Breast Cancer Awareness :)

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No sarcasm meant or intended. Not a lot of people can do the advanced pattern mixing AAS does IMO and it is beyond ivy, I'd call it ivy inspired. I consider him one of the more experimental dressers on SF and if he chooses to do the boilerplate SF stuff, he'll do it well.

I'm not saying @An Acute Style isn't interesting - on the contary. And it's true that we don't see a lot of 'Ivy', 'Black Ivy' or 'neo' / 'post-Ivy' (or whatever you might call it) on SF and clearly AAS is the primary exponent of such style here so, sure, what he does looks different in this context. I guess I'm just quite used to it as it's all over the place in Japan - which is where I spend plenty of my time - with lots of companies that cater to this sort of look and it even has its own magazine, Free & Easy...

@in stitches - noice.

I'd rather see a hundred bad fits by AAS than one more snide comment by Ian. He/she is a troll, pure and simple.

The truth, as they say, is rarely pure and never simple. Personally, I'm able to separate out the useful commentary (irrespective of whether I agree with it in every case or not) from the abrasive manner - of course, I wish @Ianiceman would be a little less of an asshat, but his posts are certainly not without value. There are plenty of other posters whose personae and manners I would find irritating on this forum if I let them. If you can't make such a separation, it's easy to block him.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

@in stitches Your square. I likes it. A lot. From where does it hail? nvm

Stitchy, we missed your fits. Love the textures!

Stiches killed it today! Nice colors, textures and fit. Great shoes too!

@in stitches- noice.

Thanks, gents.

Elio, now that fall is here, I hope to post fits more often again.

I saw navy birdseye and got confussered, please to forgive? :)

Granted!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads