• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Thanks.  The shirt is pink not white.  The green/navy of the bow tie is too matchy with the green/navy of the jacket.  The watch strap and pocket square don't blend well with the rest of the fit in my opinion.  The pink shirt, grey vest, and khaki seem to all blend together, but not in a good way.  I think a different jacket would have been better.  I'm not sure what though.  It's always hard to go wrong with navy.  

It's your choice to continue to ignore me, or choose to believe that my comments bear no merit as I don't post pics myself, but I bet if you stripped away the artifice and got bare, naked honesty from the vast majority of regular and highly rated posters on SF most would agree with me, that when you keep thngs simple or limit yourself to ONE accent piece such as your beloved Black Watch blazer, you can mix it up among the best posters on this forum and since you admit to being a thrifter, could probably do so at a fraction of the cost of some of the bespoke boys. But when you insist on cluttering up your fits with multiple colours and patterns, or failed attempts at matching tie, watch strap, socks, square etc etc it falls waaaaay short of what you've proved you're capable of doing. You could solve all the conundrums in your above post by going back to your less cluttered style and removing the unnecessary excess.

Also, I'm not sure how you've gotten away with it for so long, but you seem to have missed the etiquette followed by most posters here, who put up one over-arching pic and then spoiler their supplemental detail shots. It's not my forum and I'm not the boss of you or anyone else, but you might want to at least consider following suit?

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's always interesting to see everyone's pictures. Thanks again to everyone for taking pictures and posting them.

Standing in front of a 40 foot long section of the Berlin Wall and wearing an old Ralph Lauren Polo (made in USA) tweed jacket, Orvis tie, Brooks Brothers blue OCBD, Land's End tan twill trousers, and Allen-Edmonds shoes......

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AS, the problem with this fit is that black watch is a very formal tartan. Even if you were to ignore that, which is fine, it's also a very dark tartan. Your shirt and trousers and PS are the problem. They simply don't work with the colour scheme of black watch.

Wear this SC with medium grey trousers, black shoes, a white or light blue shirt, a plain white PS and a black knit or grenadine and you have yourself a killer fit.

You can take the formality down a notch by swapping the black shoes for dark brown, and the tie for a chocolate grenadine.

Sometimes less is more.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the current FC:

Quote:
err thought u meant 52 in USA.
shog[1].gif
As u were.

Patterns & textures.

gNgOa0h.jpg

Dandy alert lol Looove the tie

Clags that dark choc + grey pents combo back there is
satisfied.gif

Last edited:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's bow tie is one of the cache of four Polos which I picked up yesterday at Century 21, for less than what the one bow tie I wore yesterday cost me at Paul Stuart's. It's the first time I've ever worn a diamond-ended bow tie, and I'm not sure that it is tied optimally, but, live and learn.

Suit - BB Regent
Shirt - Lewin
Tie - PRL
Cufflinks - The Custom Shop
PS - Alain Figaret
Shoes - BB Peals

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's your choice to continue to ignore me, or choose to believe that my comments bear no merit as I don't post pics myself, but I bet if you stripped away the artifice and got bare, naked honesty from the vast majority of regular and highly rated posters on SF most would agree with me, that when you keep thngs simple or limit yourself to ONE accent piece such as your beloved Black Watch blazer, you can mix it up among the best posters on this forum and since you admit to being a thrifter, could probably do so at a fraction of the cost of some of the bespoke boys. But when you insist on cluttering up your fits with multiple colours and patterns, or failed attempts at matching tie, watch strap, socks, square etc etc it falls waaaaay short of what you've proved you're capable of doing. You could solve all the conundrums in your above post by going back to your less cluttered style and removing the unnecessary excess.

Also, I'm not sure how you've gotten away with it for so long, but you seem to have missed the etiquette followed by most posters here, who put up one over-arching pic and then spoiler their supplemental detail shots. It's not my forum and I'm not the boss of you or anyone else, but you might want to at least consider following suit?

Your comments bear no merit as you don't post pics yourself.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your comments bear no merit as you don't post pics yourself.

He is, however, correct in this case as in many others. Good literary critics do not need to be novelists. Good art critics do not need to be artists. etc. etc. They don't even have to be pleasant (and @Ianiceman certainly doesn't always make the effort). But he generally has a good point to make and is worth paying attention to.

@An Acute Style your fits are so avante garde and advanced that it's hard to even detect if anything is wrong.

I can't tell if this is meant to be sarcastic or not. I mean I enjoy a lot of AAS's fits, and some are very good indeed, but 'avante garde'? They are almost pure Ivy. Or did I miss when retro became the new avant-garde?

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think "correct" is an overstatement. My perception is that AAS puts these combos together, and he's okay with the possibility that they might not work out. I have no doubt that he could achieve a better strike rate if that's what he wanted to do, but I'm not sure that's what he's after.

Also, I end up clicking the spoiler on these posts anyway, so I don't mind just having them unspoilered. The folks who need spoiler shaming are those quote without spoilering.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FM, the fact that Ianiceman's opinion on AAS's contributions agrees with yours on this occasion, does not constitute proof of the merit of his critiques.

I'd rather see a hundred bad fits by AAS than one more snide comment by Ian. He/she is a troll, pure and simple. A person who derives some kind of weird pleasure or validation from snarking at the sincere efforts of others.

I've been active on all sorts of internet fora. Personas like Ian's are to be found on all of them. Who is this individual? Are they in the fabric/clothing/fashion industry? Do they know how to put an outfit together? Do they have form? We have no idea. What I do know is that he/she rarely if ever has anything nice to say, but regularly exercises their penchant for the glib put-down. And does little else on this board apart from that.

You have to ask yourself why someone would bother doing that, on a long-term basis. Just waiting in the shadows for some excuse to pounce on someone. Personally, I find such behaviour patterns vaguely bathetic.

As for "spoilering" the secondary photos in one's fit, I disagree with this too. By all means we should be spoilering quoted photoessays. But I find it much easier to scroll through a set of shots than to have to decide whether to click on a spoiler. As a result, I miss a lot of good stuff. YMMV.

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can't tell if this is meant to be sarcastic or not. I mean I enjoy a lot of AAS's fits, and some are very good indeed, but 'avante garde'? They are almost pure Ivy. Or did I miss when retro became the new avant-garde?

No sarcasm meant or intended. Not a lot of people can do the advanced pattern mixing AAS does IMO and it is beyond ivy, I'd call it ivy inspired. I consider him one of the more experimental dressers on SF and if he chooses to do the boilerplate SF stuff, he'll do it well.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Feeling fall.

Army wool/silk/cashmere donegal herringbone jacket
Unlined spread collar Japanese oxford shirt
Wool/cahsmere donegal knit tie
Moleskin pintuck trouser (an ode to Edward Sexton)

All current Eidos fall with Belgian hooves.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cold and windy. But all for a great cause!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
d347d060f371095869db1b3ea3673c15.jpg

53b4c93ddac1156c11f31f54beebeb47.jpg

e1e6c082194ed33e34d576dd721c216f.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads