• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too wear shiny footwear to divert attention away from my face.

Last edited:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which one? Indulging in a little time travel?? ;)

It doesn't take time travel to get from my apartment on the Upper West Side to midtown, near Le Bernardin - merely the #1 train.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why, yes.  It's my second time wearing these shoes in about six months.  I never wear black shoes.  I always feel that brown is better for my wardrobe.  If it's any consolation I have a pair of dark brown suede allen edmond oxford captoes at the cobbler's.  They should be done on Monday.  I also have a pair of brown allen edmond short wing oxfords arriving on Thursday from eBay.  I've been eyeing some shoes at Bexley.  If they're good enough for Crusty, then they're good enough for me.      

For the record, I own exactly one pair of Bexleys, which I bought in Paris in 2007, as they were the first pair of wholecuts that didn't look blobby to me in style. They've held up reasonably well, though with my shoe collection, rotation can mean that I don't wear a particular pair of shoes for a long time.

I assume that you're buying them from a US-based supplier via Amazon?

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how many pairs of dress shoes do you guys own. I have 5 pairs of bit loafers, 4 pairs of oxford captoes, one pair of tassel loafers, one pair of suede penny loafers, one pair norwegians, two pairs of shortwings and two pairs of boots. 16 pairs for me not including sneakers, espadrilles, etc. Kind of a lot now that I think about it.

Great question. I have x - 1 pairs, where x is the optimal number of shoes..

IMO it's good have shoes to accommodate diffferent trouser hems and fits in different 'weights'. Winter = heavier looking fits; Summer = lighter fits so lighter less bulky shoos. Had some time to think about it, and I'd be happy with something like this: (more or less what I have too)

5 Oxfords in browns from dk to mid brown (inc 1 wholecut, 1 dk suede +1 tobacco suede brogue)
1 Oxford in oxblood
1 Oxford (stitch cap) in black
4 Bluchers in browns from dk to chestnut (inc a longwing, Norweger, suede & something in scotchgrain)
1 penny loafer (cordo)
1 suede chukka
1 boxcalf ankle boot (e.g. Chelsea, George)

Finally warming up here...

Wonderful, love it
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Last edited:

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the record, I own exactly one pair of Bexleys, which I bought in Paris in 2007, as they were the first pair of wholecuts that didn't look blobby to me in style. They've held up reasonably well, though with my shoe collection, rotation can mean that I don't wear a particular pair of shoes for a long time.

I assume that you're buying them from a US-based supplier via Amazon?
I see. I plan on ordering them from their e-shop. It's $300 with shipping for two pairs. Pretty good. I'm thinking about a pair of boots and a pair of dub monks, wholecuts or suede wingtips.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see. I plan on ordering them from their e-shop. It's $300 with shipping for two pairs. Pretty good. I'm thinking about a pair of boots and a pair of dub monks, wholecuts or suede wingtips.

I have two matching pairs of wholecuts from Bexley (black and chestnut brown). Both have held up reasonably well, and the brown get worn about once every 10 days or so. Something about the finish makes them not like rain very much, and the finish of the brown ones "blooms" a bit (showed white spots/streaks) if they get wet, but a little Saphir and some wax polish sets the right.

The lasts are indeed sleek but quite comfortable, and the shoes are much lighter than AEs. I'd buy them again.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just out of curiosity, how many pairs of dress shoes do you guys own.  I have 5 pairs of bit loafers, 4 pairs of oxford captoes, one pair of tassel loafers, one pair of suede penny loafers, one pair norwegians, two pairs of shortwings and two pairs of boots.  16 pairs for me not including sneakers, espadrilles, etc.  Kind of a lot now that I think about it.  

Just this weekend I made shoe bags for all of my shoes that I didn't have bags for. Just to cap off my OCD, I also photographed them and put the pictures into clear luggage tags. So I know exactly how many shoes I have.

So I can say precisely that I have ... an obscene amount.

Obscene.

(Of them, several get almost no use but exist to fill specific needs -- e.g., black cap toes -- while a relatively smaller subset get very regular use)

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taken in haste and in bad lighting at the end of a long, exhausting day. These clothes deserved better, and will be seen again to better advantage.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long time no post. I would post more often if I could figure out how to take better, more consistent photos! Oh well… something for your consideration.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is today, and the inaugural run for this new (to me) SC, bought from a fellow SFer. Expect to see a lot of it, because I freaking love it.

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just out of curiosity, how many pairs of dress shoes do you guys own.  I have 5 pairs of bit loafers, 4 pairs of oxford captoes, one pair of tassel loafers, one pair of suede penny loafers, one pair norwegians, two pairs of shortwings and two pairs of boots.  16 pairs for me not including sneakers, espadrilles, etc.  Kind of a lot now that I think about it.  

I have no idea but at least 15-20…probably 50-60 total including sneaks, boots, sandals, etc. I seriously can't believe you have only one pair of black shoes and don't really think that's all that much.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too wear shiny footwear to divert attention away from my face.

Try walking around with ********** hanging out of your fly. Much more effective.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads