• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BespokeKiwi

Reaction score
Hmm....I'm in two minds about the suit. I have a chalkstripe from SuSu which IMHO is much funkier, and yeah, this style is just too showy for most professional situations. Here are the two, side by side. Which is better? Pointless to keep both.

2 (on right). The bottom block of 1 (on left) looked off -- in your earlier robo pose picture -- for some reason. Although, it doesn't look so bad in the above pose.

jfrater

Reaction score

@jfrater I like bold contrasting colours too. So, hot pink and metallic orange (gold?) are OK with me. However, you may get some negative responses from the conservative business dress guys here. Who naturally gravitate more towards a subdued colour pallet, especially with their staple daily ensembles. Congratulations with your weight loss achievement. Well done, sir! I can totally relate to your renewed interest in your sartorial appearance and wardrobe. A few years back I achieved similar weight loss and have sustained it, from 110kg (243lbs) down to 80kg (176lbs). Like yourself, I'm in the middle of a major wardrobe refresh project too. Not for the faint hearted either, I might add. As my wardrobe refresh has now entered its second year and is still a major work in progress. Like the mainland cheese ad in NZ says, "good things take time". I'm up in Auckland and get my clothes from a HK custom tailor, who I've been frequenting now for nearly three decades. For my local ready to wear stuff, I've infrequently been a client of SAKS (for SAKS, Zegna, Strellson and Hugo Boss suits) and Working Style (for shirts). Having said that, I do prefer custom made and earlier in the year made another sartorial pilgrimage to HK to hasten progress with my wardrobe refresh project. However, commissioning stuff from far off HK is not for the faint hearted. But that's a long story. Again, welcome! EDIT: The following tie/PS combo below -- from Sam Hober -- may be to your liking with that "hot pink" based ensemble. That is, a royal blue grenadine grossa solid silk tie and a red/purple rough Thai silk PS.
LL
I love that combination - I just bought 5 Hober ties but I bought more sedate colors. I plan on getting the majority of my ties from him as I build up the wardrobe - I have bought around 50 Kiton and Marinella ties so far and mostly they are brightly colored (though the marinellas are more subdued). I had shirts made by a tailor in HK some years ago - Jantzen - he was excellent. I am considering getting some made by Working Style to see what they are like but I am a bit sad to see that all their stuff is now being exported to China and is only MTM not true bespoke. I have been going nuts on eBay but I am planning to go to London next year and I plan a bunch of shirts done at Turnbull and Asser and I want to make a trip to Italy to get a few suits by Liverano who I recently fell in love with thanks to a thread here. Do you have many Hober ties? Mine haven't arrived yet but I was rather blown away by the fact that they emailed asking my height, etc. so they could customize the width and length! Definitely going beyond the norm.

BespokeKiwi

Reaction score
I love that combination - I just bought 5 Hober ties but I bought more sedate colors. I plan on getting the majority of my ties from him as I build up the wardrobe - I have bought around 50 Kiton and Marinella ties so far and mostly they are brightly colored (though the marinellas are more subdued).

I had shirts made by a tailor in HK some years ago - Jantzen - he was excellent. I am considering getting some made by Working Style to see what they are like but I am a bit sad to see that all their stuff is now being exported to China and is only MTM not true bespoke.

I have been going nuts on eBay but I am planning to go to London next year and I plan a bunch of shirts done at Turnbull and Asser and I want to make a trip to Italy to get a few suits by Liverano who I recently fell in love with thanks to a thread here.

Do you have many Hober ties? Mine haven't arrived yet but I was rather blown away by the fact that they emailed asking my height, etc. so they could customize the width and length! Definitely going beyond the norm.

@jfrater yes, I do have a growing Sam Hober collection (nearly a dozen each of their ties and PS) and am planning more. See pictures below of some of my SH beasties. I told you I like bold colours too!

Jantzen shirts in HK seems to be the way to go for your shirts.

Regarding your intended sartorial pilgrimage to Mayfair and Italy, we're on the same page there too. I think we may have been inspired by the same SF thread--about a sartorial sojourn in Italy. Anyway, best wishes with your intended sojourn, its the sartorial equivalent of the Islamic Hajj (no offence intended to Muslims, of course).

Last edited:

jfrater

Reaction score

@jfrater yes, I do have a growing Sam Hober collection (nearly a dozen each of their ties and PS) and am planning more. See pictures below of some of my SH beasties. I told you I like bold colours too! Jantzen shirts in HK seems to be the way to go for your shirts. Regarding your intended sartorial pilgrimage to Mayfair and Italy, we're on the same page there too. I think we may have been inspired by the same SF thread--about a sartorial sojourn in Italy. Anyway, best wishes with your intended sojourn, its the sartorial equivalent of the Islamic Hajj (no offence intended to Muslims, of course).
LL
Wow those tie and pocket square combos are amazing! I only bought the Hober map pocket square but I am definitely going to have to look at the others now! Thanks for the supportive comment re colors - I will definitely go more boldly henceforth :)

BespokeKiwi

Reaction score
Wow those tie and pocket square combos are amazing! I only bought the Hober map pocket square but I am definitely going to have to look at the others now! Thanks for the supportive comment re colors - I will definitely go more boldly henceforth
smile.gif

WARNING: @jfrater , subdued tie/PS colours are "de rigueur" for CM at SF the moment. So, don't be surprised if your bold coloured ensembles result in few thumbs. Heck, they may even result in a polite suggestion to (ahem) relocate to the "peacocks" thread. Just saying.
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The beginning of yet another work week, and it has cooled down considerably over the weekend, hence today's hat. A lower-key ensemble than Saturday's, with an unruly shirt collar.

Suit - BBGF
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - BB
Cufflinks - Tyrwhitt
PS - Ashear
Vintage watch chain
Shoes - Bergdorf Goodman house brand
Hat - Selentino

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's gone very grey and overcast suddenly, which makes my webcam pictures even worse than usual... anyway FWIW, here's today.

Deets: Dunhill suit and shirt; Conrad Wu wool tie; vintage PS; David Andersen 1950s silver/enamel links and tie bar. Having worn this suit a couple of times now, I think I need a quarter to half an inch off the sleeves and a bit more definition in the waist.

With vintage herringbone tweed DB overcoat...

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Plz get a real camera or use color correction software.

Plz.

Plz?

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah, get better office lighting. You'll be happier.
bigstar[1].gif

But "fixing" the color in that would be tough, because it's under flouresecents, so it's four or five different kinds of wrong.

Tough to judge the waist, especially since you're holding your arms funny in the one shot, but I love the cloth, and the overcoat is super cool.

Last edited:

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blue Monday

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's accessories courtesy of the gentlemen at Shibumi:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jason

marshall

jazz

:slayer:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Getting better. Tie knot needs work and I think I would have gone with darker brown shoes in that particular fit.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah, get better office lighting. You'll be happier.
bigstar[1].gif

But "fixing" the color in that would be tough, because it's under flouresecents, so it's four or five different kinds of wrong.

Exactly. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of choice about the office infrastructure, even though one of hte flourescent bulbs actually fell out of the fixture a few weeks back and shattered everywhere... this building is a 1970s concrete hell-hole, the worst one on campus, with surplus furniture. I am in the process of doing what I can though - I have an Afghan-Canadian student who has offered to source me a nice rug, and I'm going to get a little tea table and a proper desk light... I have (huge) plants in here too, but you just don't see them in the pictures. When I actually have time to write anything lengthy, I stay at home.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of choice about the office infrastructure, even though one of hte flourescent bulbs actually fell out of the fixture a few weeks back and shattered everywhere... this building is a 1970s concrete hell-hole, the worst one on campus, with surplus furniture. I am in the process of doing what I can though - I have an Afghan-Canadian student who has offered to source me a nice rug, and I'm going to get a little tea table and a proper desk light... I have (huge) plants in here too, but you just don't see them in the pictures. When I actually have time to write anything lengthy, I stay at home.

TBH, I'll be surprised if most places with flourescent bulbs don't end up with ones balanced to the same color as tungsten bulbs soon, since they're getting cheaper and cheaper. Flouro lights actually are a wonderful, soft source, but the default is to fill them with any old gases, so they just look awful (often, they're not even internally consistent within a case of them, from what I've noticed).

Glad you have plants, which probably make it at least a little nicer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads