1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. Cleav

Cleav Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored Moderator

You just get better and better :nodding:

2. kulata

kulata Distinguished Member

Thanks Betel! It's a pal zileri sartoriale

This is a major honor coming from you :nodding:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

3. Cleav

Cleav Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored Moderator

Get away wid yer! :embar:

BTW your son's getting all the right moves, like father like son!

4. jfrater

jfrater Senior Member

[​IMG]

First time posting so please be kind! I am expecting the tailor this week to adjust all my new clothes but I am mostly interested to get your opinions on the color combinations.

Shoes: lobb Paris
    Shirt: working style (NZ)
    Tie: kiton
    Pocket: e marinella
    Socks: bresciani (pink houndstooth)
    Vest: Ralph Lauren

5. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Distinguished Member

Technically yesterday:

[​IMG]

Napolisumisura
    Borrelli
    Drakes
    Incotex
    Not seen: Vass

6. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Distinguished Member

Haven't worn this Canali suit for a long time. It's beautiful, but somehow not "me". A bit too power-dressy-finance-guy. Intimidating.

Also the trouser legs are a bit floppy and there's not enough material to cuff them (excess having been removed when I first had them hemmed).

So this will probably be the suit's last outing on these pages. I think I might try my luck on eBay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: added a robopose shot. Pents were hoiked up a bit - they actually need re-hemming. Typical Canali box silhouette - if I were keeping the suit, I might have the waist suppressed just a tad.

[​IMG]

Opinions welcome as always.

7. YRR92

YRR92 Distinguished Member

Here's me the other day.

[​IMG]

And a bonus shot of me accidentally matching my partner (and showing off my polo coat).

[​IMG]

8. PCK1

PCK1 Distinguished Member

The Woolen Trifecta accented by Ancient Madder

[​IMG]

9. BespokeKiwi

BespokeKiwi Senior Member

Welcome @jfrater ! It's good to see someone else from NZ here at SF. Nice debut ensemble. I like your loud contrasting colours but others here may not.

P.S. Your left lapel appears to bowing out and may need some attention. Perhaps your PS is causing it. You may need to have your breast pocket deepened. I'm getting this alteration done to all my SC at the moment, for the same reason.

10. jfrater

jfrater Senior Member

Thanks @BespokeKiwi :) I am quite a fan of bright colors though I do still have some muted plaids, etc. Today is the first time I have worn that pink vest and I got lots of nice comments so I will definitely keep it up :) I have a tailor coming to the house on Wednesday to go through my wardrobe and adjust everything - this blazer included. It definitely needs a little loosening up. I have lost 25kg and my new wardrobe definitely needs tweaking. The sleeves on that blazer need lengthening too.

I am in Wellington - what part of NZ are you in? Where do you go for your clothes? I am finding that I need to get most stuff from Ebay as no one here stocks the brands I like (Oxxford, Kiton, Brioni, Canali, etc).

11. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

No, that suit is much too flashy with that double stripe for a financier. I'd wear a suit like that, but not to work. I'd say it suits you quite well. I would have preferred a navy grenadine with this, as a PoW is a bit too busy in combination with the stripes, but it's not bad at all.

12. BespokeKiwi

BespokeKiwi Senior Member

@jfrater I like bold contrasting colours too. So, hot pink and metallic orange (gold?) are OK with me. However, you may get some negative responses from the CBD guys here. Who naturally gravitate more towards a subdued colour pallet, especially with their staple daily ensembles.

Congratulations with your weight loss achievement. Well done, sir!

I can totally relate to your renewed interest in your sartorial appearance and wardrobe. A few years back I achieved similar weight loss and have sustained it, from 110kg (243lbs) down to 80kg (176lbs). Like yourself, I'm in the middle of a major wardrobe refresh project too. Not for the faint hearted either, I might add. As my wardrobe refresh has now entered its second year and is still a major work in progress. Like the mainland cheese ad in NZ says, "good things take time".

I'm up in Auckland and get my clothes from a HK custom tailor, who I've been frequenting now for nearly three decades. For my local ready to wear stuff, I've infrequently been a client of SAKS (for SAKS, Zegna, Strellson and Hugo Boss suits) and Working Style (for shirts). Having said that, I do prefer custom made and earlier in the year made another sartorial pilgrimage to HK to hasten progress with my wardrobe refresh project. However, commissioning stuff from far off HK is not for the faint hearted. But that's a long story.

Again, welcome!

EDIT: The following tie/PS combo below -- from Sam Hober -- may be to your liking with that "hot pink" based ensemble. That is, a royal blue grenadine grossa solid silk tie and a red/purple rough Thai silk PS.

[​IMG]

13. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Distinguished Member

Hmm....I'm in two minds about the suit. I have a chalkstripe from SuSu which IMHO is much funkier, and yeah, this style is just too showy for most professional situations. Here are the two, side by side. Which is better? Pointless to keep both.

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

15. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Distinguished Member

The second one. The first suit seems to be wearing you and not the other way around.