• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adolesco

Reaction score
@Adolesco - welcome! I like the colours and materials here and it's all coherent so good job. (And of course, the scenery does you no harm at all!).

However, if you will allow me, the one thing that stands out for me as slightly less than ideal is the combination of flat-front trousers and braces (suspenders). I think the hands in the pocket shot tends to emphasize the downside of flat-fronts (it looks like you can hardly even fit your hands in without making it difficult to move comfortably) - which also makes one wonder why the braces are necessary. Luckily for all us, @Braddock has unintentionally provided a convenient comparison just below! If you compare your pants + braces ensemble to his - and okay, his trousers are probably bespoke and made by some top-level trouser maker - you will be able to see what I mean, I hope. Braddock's trousers have a combination of ease and elegance, whereas flat-fronts, however sharp they are, almost never have that combination.

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback. Posts like yours are pretty much the main reason that I decided to start posting fit pics on SF.
I think I really get what you mean ;). Usually I never have my hands in my pockets so the question whether I can move comfortably or not did not arise so far.
(besides: in the German forum "Stilmagazin" they allways tell you that having your hands in your pockets is a no-go for a real gentleman...)
But to be honest: I actually never thought about the theory behind braces and if they are a better choice for flat front or pleated trousers.
I try to only buy pants that fit so well that I neither need braces nor a belt. But with the braces the pants "fall" better - I don't know how you say it in English so I hope you know what I mean.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I haven't posted on SF in awhile since I just started law school, but I thought a return was in order for fall. Good to be back gents
Just to continue the convo between Flyingmonkey + Adolesco, I humbly, barely disagree that flat fronts = no suspenders (although you will see more pleated pants with suspenders than you will flat fronts), I think is has more to do with the rise, where the pant waist sits on you. Scbrowns looks above is great, flat front pants but higher rise than what is trendy and the suspenders work. As a matter of fact (actually, just my opinion), on paper this fit should not work. I don't like cardigans with ties. I don't like suspenders without suit jackets. But I think this is great. Pant fit is great, shirt looks good, tie looks good and the sweater is playing the role of a sportcoat here. Taking a close look at this fit, and you see something that would most likely be worn by Cary Grant or Astaire at home right before bedding the latest hollywood starlet.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
The issue for me is more with flat-fronts vs. pleated trousers than the braces thing - although with pleated trousers, you are far more likely to need braces.

steffenbp11

Reaction score
only a close up today. The other pics turned out to be useless...

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I haven't posted on SF in awhile since I just started law school, but I thought a return was in order for fall. Good to be back gents
Any chance you havwe a full/better pic of this? Showing the sweater/shirt/tie texture? And I am assuming those are flannels and ideally you are wearing something suede on your feet :) This ticks off a lot of boxes that I don't think people can appreciate at first glance and I would like to make a post with the pic on my blog.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Full size pic looks like flannel trousers and woollen tie... I might be wrong

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My first post was worse.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads