• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guaranteed to divide opinions today, but I'm very pleased with the combo. Fire away!

The only part I'm not 100% sold on is the tie. As a result, I think the shot showing the shoes is better than the shot showing the tie. In fact, looking only at the shot showing the shoes, I can imagine a tie-less fit that I would like better than what you posted.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guaranteed to divide opinions today, but I'm very pleased with the combo. Fire away!

Again, the shirt is oversaturated in the photo. Oh well. This is my first Hober tie, a lined, untipped three-fold I got from Parker. Very nice.

The tie seems too city for this country fit. A nice wool or cashmere tie, or perhaps a chunky knit would be more appropriate. The trousers and SC look cool though.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@ridethecliche
Why don't you just walk into a freaking Suit Supply store and get a nice staple suit instead of all this thrifting? Just give it a thought and try it for a change. Stop with this thrifting and trying to force yourself into them. Just try it. (Remember, I was in denial about my suit size and held onto 38R like a Korean to his kimchi).

My interview suit is thrifted. You will see it posted this weekend. It's not a flattering modern cut, but it's a great american silhouette that will do well for its intended purpose.

I'm not forcing myself into anything! I think I'm past the first few BIG mistakes I made when I started. I actually really do like this jacket and the lapel style. I prefer the hard lines of the older peaks versus the curved newer ones as well as the ones that these days point almost horizontally.

The couple of mistakes you made with your suits would have been more than twice my yearly clothing budget! Anyway, I don't want to turn this sideways into a thrifting discussion again.

Quote:

Ah, interesting. I didn't even think about the boots.

@ridethecliche I don't remember you wearing a suit. Wish my memory was that good. You can just tell these things at times but not to dissuade you or anything, a lot of people wear worsted pants on a regular basis, the trick is just making it blend with the outfit so it doesn't stand out.

Be more selective in your thrifting and explore yoox and other discount sites with good return policies.

Will do. I think it's honestly the pants. I could have paired them with grey chino's but I thought the brown on brown would play better. I have a pair of brown herringbone tweed pants as well, but the colors were sadly too close. I think the pants and jacket both having that 'feel' to them is what bit me today.

And I lied, I never posted that pic here. I think I sent it to noodles lol. I think I can 'get away' with these pants if I have a jacket with a bit more 'oomph' to it, no?

rtc, I like it. FlyingMonkey's critique is spot-on. Ignore Stitchy and Noodles.
smile.gif

Haha, thanks.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

@ridethecliche

Why don't you just walk into a freaking Suit Supply store and get a nice staple suit instead of all this thrifting? Just give it a thought and try it for a change. Stop with this thrifting and trying to force yourself into them. Just try it. (Remember, I was in denial about my suit size and held onto 38R like a Korean to his kimchi). 

Not everyone has the dough for that.

rtc, I like it. FlyingMonkey's critique is spot-on. Ignore Stitchy and Noodles. :)

Shut your face.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Again, the shirt is oversaturated in the photo. Oh well. This is my first Hober tie, a lined, untipped three-fold I got from Parker. Very nice.
Really need a full fit to judge this.

JTD14

Reaction score
This is FANTASTIC! Can I ask about what size you went with? This looks MUCH better than the images of the Washington fit on the Suit Supply website. Your lapels are long and elegant, whereas on the site they tend to look sort of short and stubby. Is yours a long in length? Having seen this fit on you I now want to buy every Washington fit they make if I can replicate this fit/look. I've been flirting with the idea-of mtm in an effort to create basically this exact look haha.

JTD14

Reaction score
Cross post from the Friday challenge

and the shoes...

This is FANTASTIC! Can I ask about what size you went with? This looks MUCH better than the images of the Washington fit on the Suit Supply website. Your lapels are long and elegant, whereas on the site they tend to look sort of short and stubby. Is your's a long in length? Having seen this fit on you I now want to buy every Washington fit they make if I can replicate this fit/look. I've been flirting with the idea of mtm in an effort to create basically this exact look.

Last edited:

steffenbp11

Reaction score

This is FANTASTIC! Can I ask about what size you went with? This looks MUCH better than the images of the Washington fit on the Suit Supply website. Your lapels are long and elegant, whereas on the site they tend to look sort of short and stubby. Is your's a long in length? Having seen this fit on you I now want to buy every Washington fit they make if I can replicate this fit/look. I've been flirting with the idea of mtm in an effort to create basically this exact look.

Thank you. I am a 46 r ( euro that is).

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where the hell has Professor Pingson been? I used to wake up excited to see his WAYWRN post, but he has been MIA.

Last edited:

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where the hell has Professor Pingson been? I used to wake up excited to see his WAYWRN post, but he has been MIA.

Seconded with emphasis. That said, we could stand to see more Murlsquirl as well; we need more quality between my pictures of ill-fitting trousers!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks, but I haven't been wearing SCs/suits too much lately. You'll get your trousers figured out....top half always looks good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads